Thread: Feynlab Ceramic

Post Thanks / Like

Feynlab Ceramic

Feynlab Ceramic – Not even sure how I ran across this one, I believe I was browsing thru their self-healing coating offerings and, given the price and the limited info I could find regarding it, decided to order it up and give it a try. At around $60 for a 30ml bottle, the cost certainly piqued my interest as did reading about the very, very easy application of the product, in some mentions, a 25 minute dwell time/working window was noted. A few reviews of the product indicated this was certainly the case, with it being applied more like a sealant in that an entire car could be coated at once and then, starting where you began application, removal/leveling of the whole car could be done in one fell swoop as well.

Anyway, on to the specifics.

The vehicle it was applied to was our 2004 black Corvette, which had WG Uber Ceramic applied to it back in May of 2016 or thereabouts. In that time the Uber held up relatively well (car garaged each night, put away in storage from December 2016 thru April 2017) so it’s kinda a relatively lightly used, fair weather only subject. That said, I had recently been trying some new-to-me SiO2 toppers on it, one of which did not play well with the WG Uber, leading to some pretty nasty water spotting and in some cases, staining remained from the water spots. It was kinda a spur of the moment thing to polish of the remnants of the WG Uber (and subsequent applications of Overcoat, Wetcoat, Cure, High Gloss and Bathe+) so that would alter the ‘recommended’ pathway for applying Feynlab (does anyone know the actual pronunciation of this word? clue me in phonetically if’n ya do). Determining that pathway was a bit of a challenge as I guess this is a somewhat new product and manufacturer documentation was kinda non-existent; forum posts from different entities gave me a working plan and on application day some *very* helpful tips from the Feynlab Authorized Installers Facebook page users proved invaluable in nailing down some specifics.

In a perfect, starting from a clean slate scenario, after chemical decon one would use Feynlab Prime at a 1:15 dilution ratio as a clay lube. A few mentions re: Feynlab Prime usage that I ran across (hey, it was on the Internet so it must be fact!):
    Prime is 1:15
    To be used as clay lube and you can do a light towel wipe and let it dry to surface (the residue on surface aids in polishing ).
    After using PRIME as a clay lube you intentionally leave the excess smeary on the surface and remove it during the polishing process.

In my situation, moot point as I was starting from a different point. I also inquired as to if I should use Prime as a panel wipe type deal and was told not to by (a few) of the members Feynlab Authorized Installers group.

So, I ended up:
    1. Wash car (using Gyeon Bathe with a bit of APC thrown in)
    2. Dry car
    3. Optimum FerreX w/ a little bit ‘o agitation
    4. Rinse car
    5. Wash car again using WG Auto Bathe and Nanoskin medium Prep Mitt
    6. Flex 3401, White & Orange LC Force pads, Menz 2400. Was gonna go over car again with Rupes LHR 15 Mk 2, White Rupes pad and Rupes Diamond Ultra Fine Polish but I did a small section and could not tell a difference in gloss or clarity in a darkened garage while illuminating the section with the Scangrip Mutlimatch light. Wouldn’t have been worth my time, I concluded.
    7. Wipe car down with Geyon Prep…twice. Man, I just love the Gyeon BaldWipe towels for Geyon Prep wipedowns, followed by PolishWipe to insure Prep removal.
    8.Apply Feynlab Ceramic in 3 (or really 3.5) sections:
    - Hood, Roof, Back hatch horizontal surfaces
    - Drivers side vertical
    - Passenger side vertical
    - Back end & Front End

- The bottle it comes in is opaque (aluminum?) so it’s kinda hard to track how much you’re using

- The dispenser tip of bottle is typical dropper-type most coatings use (as opposed to eyedropper). Difference in this case is that the orifice is slightly larger, meaning more product comes out. Dispense carefully to avoid over-saturating applicator and wasting product. Was a surprise on the first dispensing as i tipped bottle to vertical and gave it a shake...hello product!

- Feynlab includes a microfiber covered applicator (like a typical blue 3x5 microfiber applicators…just a bit smaller than 3x5) but I used a foam applicator block wrapped in a microsuede cloth…just more familiar to me. I switched microsuede cloths after doing about half the car but actually, with the amazingly forgiving dwell time and product workability, the initial cloth never really got too loaded up to where it was dragging.

- The 25 minute working time is absolutely correct and, given cooler conditions, could probably even stretch that out a bit. Application (especially second layer done “After an hour, and no more than 3 hours.”) is just so forgiving, it would be hard to goon it up. The product working time is fantastic, ensuring that there is certainly no ‘application anxiety’ when using this it. It’s truly the easiest coating I have ever used, even more so than my previous ‘ease of application’ choice, 22ple HPC.

Speaking of the 22ple HPC, the Feynlab Ceramic gives a very, very nice gloss; it’s close to the 22ple HPC but just a slight bit warmer and deeper as opposed to the retina-burning sharpness of the 22ple gloss. While applying the second coat (and I have no tangible evidence of this) it just plain felt like there was an added ‘something’ on the paint, almost like I could feel the thickness of the coating on the panel. There was a very subtle feeling of protection to/on the paint. Yep, crazy for sure but it was certainly something I picked up on. Kinda strange really…and totally in my head from a practical, scientific point of view. And yet there it was. In the end, it looks great...anyone would be pleased with the final appearance.

In all, I probably used about 20ml to do 2 coats on the Vette but hard to say since I can’t see inside bottle to see what’s left. Anecdotal evidence (again, Internet postings here and there) indicate it could be a 2-year product given the proper care…I guess we’ll see. Also, given the lower cost (around $65 or so for 30ml) and the ease of application, I’d say this is certainly a winner if it holds up. I’d certainly use it again if it holds up in the self cleaning, sheeting and looks department. For the price, hard to beat on that front alone.

I really hope Feynlab ups their game in the product documentation area of their business; it’s not easy to find out specific instructions for use of many of their products. I also have the Detailer and Wash but not sure if those are ‘synergistic’ with the coatings.
    Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feynlab Ceramic

Thanks for the write up and feedback! I purchased ceramic lite to give it a try and also noticed it came with zero directions for application so I am glad I can now reference your post.

Any pictures you can share of the finished car?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post

Any pictures you can share of the finished car?!
    All pics kinda look the same as before application but in person, it looks great!

Also, this car is littered with etched water spots from the Zaino days. Again, likely my imagination but post Feynlab, the edges of the etchings look slightly smoother. I think I`m just going crazy from staring at paint...

Likes RaydiantDetail, PantherShark liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you just posted this. I was accepted to their certified installer program today. Getting the starter kit soon which includes all their products except regular self heal.

Thanks for the write up!
    Central / Northern NJ - http://www.finnsfinedetails.com

Beeds Ceramic Coating Installer

Feynlab Coatings coming soon...
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information