Post Thanks / Like

Review: TAC System Mystic Repellent (mini-review)

Introduction
    Keeping coated cars in good shape is a top priority. In my opinion, whatever you can layer on the coating to make it more durable is key for me. As you may have realized, I`ve been on a bit of a run as of late in trying out products made by TAC System. You may have read my review of Mystic Bubble or Tire Coat. This is a mini-review of Mystic Water Repellent.

Manufacturer`s Information
    With its rich foam, Mystic Water Repellent could perfectly remove contaminants on the paint surface.
    Due to its excellent water repellent function, its efficiency is long lasting. The contaminants and dirt will not easily cling to the car body, and prevents the discoloring of the car body.
    The dilution rate is 7:1
    Mystic Water Repellent is SiO2-based.

Per the usual, TAC System is not very forthcoming about the description of their products or with tips and techniques. So, information needs to be gathered from those with experience. After discussion with others regarding this product, it can be applied in two chief ways: 1) foam lance or 2) direct contact with the mitt (which is either in the form of a diluted spray or by adding a small amount to a wash mitt and spreading across the surface).

I chose method one. My initial reaction to the description of this product was that it might be similar to Gyeon Bathe+ or CarPro HydroFoam. I never had any issues with Gyeon Bathe+ causing streaks, but I`ve always used it in a 2BW. I`ve used HydroFoam before, and I got some streaking. Without having any direct experience with this product, I chose to evaluate it it based on its foaming capacity and on whether it would streak.

Price
    500 mL: $19.99
    1000 mL: $34.99
    4000 mL: ? (There is a picture of a gallon, but no price option at the time of this review)

Product Description and Usage
    Mystic Water Repellent comes in a clear 500 mL bottle with a safety cap that is easy enough to remove and restock. The soap itself is a slightly pink and slightly viscous solution, which has a mild fruity smell to it, but given my relatively below average sense of smell, I could not identify any particular association.

I made a mixture of 7:1 using 21 oz water and 3 oz of soap and mixed this into the foam lance. The pressure washer is a Greenworks electric model 1700 PSI/1.2 GPM model I bought from Lowes a few years ago. The car was washed using a 2BM using Mystic Bubble. My ability to foam a soap is somewhat compromised by my low GPM electric pressure washer, but I have been able to generate some decent foam in the past. I foamed up each side of the car and let it dwell for about 3 minutes (per their Facebook suggestion). Here are some photos of the foam.

After a few minutes of dwell time (there was "good cling"), I pressure washed the soap away. Here are the immediate results of pressure washing and some video of the hydrophobic properties.

Conclusions
    Whether this is a one-stop-shop for foaming up a car and leaving behind some hydrophobicity remains to be seen. (I don`t doubt the claims, but I didn`t perform the test to see how great the hydrophobic properties are.) I tested the product to see how well it foamed up and whether there was any streaking left behind.

In my opinion, this soap foamed up as well as any other properly mixed soap using my foam lance and pressure washer system. I am sure that if you added more soap (one site I investigated suggested at 5:1 mixture), it will foam more. Perhaps if you had a more robust pressure washer, it would foam a little more effectively. But, my foaming usually dwells for about 5 minutes and I get a pretty thick soap that clings to even a coated surface.

As far as streaking goes, I dried the car using a Master Blaster and pulled the car into the sun (well, my wife drove it away after I did one tire with Tire Coat) and I inspected it then and later in the evening. I could detect no streaking from my 3 or so minute dwell times.

So, I`m going to give this a thumbs up in terms of foam and in terms of not causing streaking with my n=1 test. I`d love to test this on a car without any LSP on it to see just how hydrophobic it leaves the surface and for how long.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | 2015 Toyota Highlander
    Thanks rlmccarty2000, BadgerRivFan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: TAC System Mystic Repellent (mini-review)

Looks good! Plenty of suds for lubrication. If you get 8 weeks out of it I would call it a winner. At what dilution did you get streaking with Hydrofoam?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Looks good! Plenty of suds for lubrication. If you get 8 weeks out of it I would call it a winner. At what dilution did you get streaking with Hydrofoam?
    1:9. I usually follow directions with stuff like that. It`s also possible I had a combo of LSP on my car and got streaking from that.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

So this is without any kind of manual agitation?? (mitt etc). Just Foam/dwell/rinse/dry??
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

That`s how I did it.

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. If you can really let it dwell I`m tempted to try it.

I tried out Bathe+ using the same process and got hooorrrrible streaking this weekend. Can`t remove it at all with anything less than polishing. I only let it dwell for like 10 seconds. Panels might have been warm, but this was pretty bad. Here`s a pic, the vertical lines are stains:

My entire car looks like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Awful. Never had that with Bathe+, but I`ve used it only as a 2BW.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Kevin, thanks for posting! What LSP was on the paint prior to Mystic Repellent?

Post Thanks / Like

I used bathe plus last night after extensive wash and water spot removal and had great results. If you read back I also had an issue on a sunny day with warm panels and perhaps too much feel time. I know you said 10 seconds. But on warm panels perhaps too much.
    I only wish I could post pics. Will figure out soon and post.

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post

I tried out Bathe+ using the same process and got hooorrrrible streaking this weekend. Can`t remove it at all with anything less than polishing. I only let it dwell for like 10 seconds. Panels might have been warm, but this was pretty bad. Here`s a pic, the vertical lines are stains:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post

Streaks will go away on their own in a week. Don`t polish.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information