Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Product: Gyeon Leather Shield

Product link: TBD if it becomes available through Autopia

Price: $49.99

Quantity: 50 ml

Product description: From Gyeon`s site

Advanced quartz coating specially formulated for automotive leather. Q² LeatherShield is suitable for every type of leather produced to date and does not change the finish of your upholstery. Very easy to apply, only one layer required. Repels dirt and prevents discoloration, protects against liquids and UV-rays.

Q² LeatherShield is an advanced, SiO2 (silicon dioxide) based formula, specially developed for automotive leather upholstery. It provides superb protection against dirt, UV rays and the rigors of everyday usage. Q² LeatherShield is amazingly simple to apply, requiring only one layer. It’s designed for and been tested on all modern types of leather, providing great protection and no change of feel or color, leaving a fully matte finish. Q² LeatherShield does not stiffen the leather or make it more slippery, maintaining the regular comfort of use.

Clean leather with Q²M LeatherCleaner. Apply a moderate amount of the product with the attached suede applicator. Ensure even application. Wipe off if necessary or just leave to dry. Apply on a hardly visible part of the upholstery to test before coating. Q² LeatherShield is a coating developed for all types of leather upholstery to date. Before use on open-structure, aniline leather, proceed with a test panel and be extraordinary carefull about even application. Please note, that Q²M LeatherShield is a product designed for protection and not restoration. It will not show its full abilities on old, worn or damaged leather.
    Usage and durability claims from Gyeon`s Site

Consumption: 40ml/car
    PH Tolerance: pH 2-11
    Durability: >12 months / 20K km

Brief background on this particular product. This was announced back in November at SEMA. It is a new product offering from Gyeon for 2017.

As the above product description states, this is an Si02 leather coating. It`s similar to Cquartz Leather Coating in terms of both being quartz based coatings designed to work with leather.

I had pre-ordered it from a different site and not thru Autopia. I am not sure if it will be sold through Autopia.

It comes in a really nice and attractive package. Similar to can coat.

Here are the what the product claims to do.

Directions clearly stated on the package and on the bottle. Easier to read on the box instead of the clear bottle.

The amount included is 50 ml for $50. More than the cquartz leather coating which is 30 ml for $70. The 50 ml of cquartz leather coating is $95.

Included contents except the costco towel.

Per Gyeon`s site

Box contains: Q² LEATHERSHIELD / APPLICATOR / 6 SUEDE CLOTHS
    I was missing two suede cloths if this kit is supposed to come with 6. Other than that I received everything.

I am going to have to refer to the video for application. The product goes on wet but as it is flashing off the surface it goes clear. I followed the directions as the leather coating is left to flash off. No darkening effect noticed. The leather looks untouched in terms of looks just as the product description states.

Prior to applying it, I cleaned the leather with Meguiar`s D181 followed by a towel damp with water to remove any residue left behind by the leather cleaner. Essentially the same process that I did for cquartz leather coating.

Finished photo

Due to me not knowing how the coating works and whether or not it can get wet right away, I let it sit overnight to cure. Cquartz leather coating recommends to not get the coated surface wet for 4 hours as well as the coating fully curing in 3 days. I treated Gyeon Leather shield the same.

The next day I used the included pipette to deposit water onto the leather surface to see if the surface had become hydrophobic. I also misted it with a spray bottle (water in the spray bottle) as seen in the part 2 video. The only reason I show this is to display whether or not the surface tension has changed. No other reason. Plus we all enjoy seeing beading .

Here are the results of depositing water onto the leather surface. The water was easily wiped off and left no water spots behind.

Overall I enjoyed using this leather coating. Initial impressions is that it is a very good competitor to Cquartz Leather Coating. It helps that it is cost less with more in quantity compared to cquartz leather. Making leather shield more attractive. Long term performance will be the telling sign of whether or not it is a direct competitor. I will update the progress on it as I applied it to all the seats other than the driver`s seat as I have a test for another leather protectant going. Once that is done I will be coating the driver`s seat.

The hydrophobic properties it leaves behind is very good. Similar to cquatrz leather. The surface between both coatings feels very similar as well. Not super slick but just enough to tell that there is something on the surface.

One thing I liked more with Gyeon Leather Shield is that a little product goes a long way. Much more than cquartz leather. I found it to be a little easier to work with as well as spreading out better.

Gyeon only recommends one coat. I was able to get a in touch with Jeff the rep from Gyeon to answer my question on multiple coats. He confirmed that one layer is all that is needed but that it can be layered for multiple coats. Thanks Jeff for getting back to me.

I also like that it does not need to be buffed off as the product is designed to flash off. It`s optional to buff off. CarPro recommends buffing off any excess 2-3 mins after applying cquartz leather. One thing that worried me is that leather shield appeared to leave high spots as it was drying. I was so tempted to buff it off but I left alone as shown in the video and all was well. No high spots or streaking.

The Gyeon site states the average consumption is 40 ml per vehicle. On my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix, I hardly used any of it. The bottle is about 3/4`s full. The front and rear seats are leather as well as portions of the door panel and the shift boot. So I have plenty to coat a couple more vehicles.

Based on initial impressions, I would give Gyeon Leather Shield the thumbs up. If Autopia decides to carry it, I would recommend others to try it out.

Before I forget this product is meant to protect and not restore.

Application video

Water Repellent Test

The applicator did not get hard or stiffen up as the coating dried overnight. Similar to cquartz leather. I would say this is by design so that it flexes with the leather material.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the videos. Future updates for long term durability testing will be available as time goes on.

-Mike
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Ronkh, Marc08EX, PA DETAILER, Migue, Loach and 4 others liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Marc08EX, Migue, PRND[S] thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Thank you.

I have a bottle here as well, but haven`t tried it. Guess I should.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Nicley done and always professional review
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes The Guz, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review as always Mike! Very detailed and you covered all questions anyone might have on this product.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes The Guz, trashmanssd liked this post

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike. I also had a good experience with this product, although I do not yet know about it`s durability.

Interestingly, Gyeon recommends prepping the leather surface with their new Leather Cleaner product also introduced at SEMA, but nobody here in the States seems to carry it. I cleaned my seats with Ultimate Interior Shampoo Gel prior to applying Leather Shield, and it seemed to work just fine.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Saw the product and was curious about it. BTW your reviews are spot on and I always know I am going to get a good read on the product.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Great review Mike. I also had a good experience with this product, although I do not yet know about it`s durability.

Interestingly, Gyeon recommends prepping the leather surface with their new Leather Cleaner product also introduced at SEMA, but nobody here in the States seems to carry it. I cleaned my seats with Ultimate Interior Shampoo Gel prior to applying Leather Shield, and it seemed to work just fine.
    I have had the Leather cleaner since mid January. it took till last month to get the Leather Shield tho.

I took this picture Jan 20th I got it from Esoteric. I see I ordered both January 13th.

Post Thanks / Like

So is this the longer term version of their Leather Coat? I`m looking for something I can offer a customer who wants to prevent future jean dye transfer on his light leather seats.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Thank you.

I have a bottle here as well, but haven`t tried it. Guess I should.
    Yeah you should. Maybe try it on one area before you decide to go all out if you are not that daring like I am.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Mike,

Nicley done and always professional review

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing review as always Mike! Very detailed and you covered all questions anyone might have on this product.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post

Thanks. I think any leather cleaner will do. I used Meguiar`s leather cleaner and it seemed to bond just fine. Although I did follow up the cleaning process with a damp microfiber towel.

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Thanks. Saw the product and was curious about it. BTW your reviews are spot on and I always know I am going to get a good read on the product.
    Thanks. I do what I can to make it easier on you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    So is this the longer term version of their Leather Coat? I`m looking for something I can offer a customer who wants to prevent future jean dye transfer on his light leather seats.
    Yeah this is a more durable layer of protection compared to leather coat. Leather Shield is a quartz based coating and Leather Coat is a sealant. Perhaps this would be an up sell to your customer. It dries pretty fast after applying it. I would probably let it sit for a few hours before sitting in the seat just to have it bond better to the seat.
    Thanks Migue thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    Awesome review, thank you.
    Thanks for reading through it.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff McEachran from Gyeon just wrote a nice article (found at detailed image Ask A Pro Blog) on the difference between Leather Shield and Leather Coat. I recommend those that are interested in either product to check it out.

In it he mentions the following:

From a service perspective, Q2 LeatherCoat is great to recommend to clients who may have chosen your long-term leather protection service as a maintenance upkeep product. It can be used over Q2 LeatherShield as needed.
    So I took this and said let me give it a try.

A little feedback as to how Leather Shield is holding up for me. The rear seats and passenger front seat are not used as often or at all. Primarily it is just me driving and sitting on the drivers front seat. The rear seats and front passenger have had the coating for 14 months and the coating is still there. The front drivers seat has had the coating for 11 months as I was testing out another leather sealer for 3 months. Did a quick test and the coating is still on the seat and doing fine. Unfortunately no photos or videos at this time.

I gave them a wipe down this past weekend with Gyeon Leather Cleaner which will not remove the coating. I decided to give Leather Coat a shot over Leather Shield just as Jeff states. It went on fine. I misted one seat just to try something a bit different and saw the product tightly beading indicating Leather Shield is doing it`s thing. I noticed that Leather Shield repels the Leather Coat while spreading it around the surface. I simply applied it and let it dry for a few minutes. Came back to remove any excess. This added a hint of slickness to the seats and no change in color to the seats.

Thanks for the tip Jeff.

FYI I typically use Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer or Optimum Opti-Clean to wipe down the seats every week or couple weeks. Noticed no dirt build up on the seats after using the leather cleaner.
    Likes HCF, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How long does the stuff last in the bottle after you`ve coated the seats think I have 40% left

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBS756 View Post
    How long does the stuff last in the bottle after you`ve coated the seats think I have 40% left
    I’m not the chemist but it’s good as long as it’s not crystallized.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- What`s called for when it`s time to redo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information