Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- What`s called for when it`s time to redo?
    Clean and re-coat. It will eventually be worn away by abrasion from overall use.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK..was wondering just how involved it might get thinking how coatings for paint require some real prep when redoing.

Post Thanks / Like

Gents, hate to re-open a stale thread, but I have been reading the forum topics around leather protection like crazy. I am taking delivery of a shiny new VW MK7 Golf R this weekend which has Titan black leather. I previously had a GTI with the same leather and I was inconsistent with the treatment for my leather and it took a beating, especially the side bolster which constantly gets rubbed when entering or exiting the vehicle. I want to be different this time and do it right. I will clean the leather every week if need be. I would like to maintain the new matte finish for a very long time and was thinking of using this Gyeon protection or the CQuartz Leather or the Leather Doctor system. I am getting so many different opinions. Question, how has the Gyeon held up compared to the CQuartz? Do you prefer one over the other to maintain the matte finish and protect the leather as best as possible against abrasion and wear and tear? Are these products more of a ruse? Should I rather look at a different protector product like Leather Doctor?

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig- Welcome to Autopia! No worries about reopening older threads

I hope you love that great car you have coming!

I can`t speak to any of the other approaches you mentioned, but I`m an adamant proponent of the Leather Doctor stuff; it`s what I use on my "good car", and I`m very particular about that car to say the least. No need for their "fat liquoring" stuff on a car that new..just their mild(est) cleaner, the Acidifying Rinse, and their Protectant of your choice (sorry, forget the product names/#s as I bought mine ages ago and it`s too cold to run out to the shop and check ).

IMO that frequent (very gentle ) cleaning will, all by itself, go a *long* way towards keeping things nice. Even just a really quick wipe could make all the difference.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Gents, hate to re-open a stale thread, but I have been reading the forum topics around leather protection like crazy. I am taking delivery of a shiny new VW MK7 Golf R this weekend which has Titan black leather. I previously had a GTI with the same leather and I was inconsistent with the treatment for my leather and it took a beating, especially the side bolster which constantly gets rubbed when entering or exiting the vehicle. I want to be different this time and do it right. I will clean the leather every week if need be. I would like to maintain the new matte finish for a very long time and was thinking of using this Gyeon protection or the CQuartz Leather or the Leather Doctor system. I am getting so many different opinions. Question, how has the Gyeon held up compared to the CQuartz? Do you prefer one over the other to maintain the matte finish and protect the leather as best as possible against abrasion and wear and tear? Are these products more of a ruse? Should I rather look at a different protector product like Leather Doctor?
    First of all don`t expect this or Cquartz Leather to form that hard barrier of protection. They will not prevent normal wear of the leather. Either of these leather coatings will be removed the more abrasion they see. They do last longer than a leather sealant or "leather conditioner." They will also make cleanings easier and they are more hydrophobic in the case of spilling a liquid on the seats.

You will notice a slight darkening effect with either of these. Think of the leather looking richer but not glossy.

Both will last about the same amount of time. Again abrasion from getting in and out will be the predominant factor in their durability. Expect to redo them about once a year in areas that see more use.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Stig- Welcome to Autopia! No worries about reopening older threads

I hope you love that great car you have coming!

I can`t speak to any of the other approaches you mentioned, but I`m an adamant proponent of the Leather Doctor stuff; it`s what I use on my "good car", and I`m very particular about that car to say the least. No need for their "fat liquoring" stuff on a car that new..just their mild(est) cleaner, the Acidifying Rinse, and their Protectant of your choice (sorry, forget the product names/#s as I bought mine ages ago and it`s too cold to run out to the shop and check ).

IMO that frequent (very gentle ) cleaning will, all by itself, go a *long* way towards keeping things nice. Even just a really quick wipe could make all the difference.
    thank you very much Sir. I placed an order online for the Leather Doctor kit. I also have the Gyeon coating on hand. I am going to test both out on different spots in a discreet region of the rear seats first, and see which system I like best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    First of all don`t expect this or Cquartz Leather to form that hard barrier of protection. They will not prevent normal wear of the leather. Either of these leather coatings will be removed the more abrasion they see. They do last longer than a leather sealant or "leather conditioner." They will also make cleanings easier and they are more hydrophobic in the case of spilling a liquid on the seats.

You will notice a slight darkening effect with either of these. Think of the leather looking richer but not glossy.

Both will last about the same amount of time. Again abrasion from getting in and out will be the predominant factor in their durability. Expect to redo them about once a year in areas that see more use.
    thanks Guz. Your video reviews of both products (Gyeon and cQuartz) where very helpful. I already have the Gyeon on hand, so rolling the dice with that one. Will try to clean the leather with the Gyeon mild cleaner or Leather Masters every second week, even if some are quick wipedowns.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Guz. Your video reviews of both products (Gyeon and cQuartz) where very helpful. I already have the Gyeon on hand, so rolling the dice with that one. Will try to clean the leather with the Gyeon mild cleaner or Leather Masters every second week, even if some are quick wipedowns.
    You won`t even need to go that fr with cleaning. Maybe every few months use the Gyeon Cleaner. I use Meguir`s Quick Interior Detailer weekly and then a deep clean 3-4 times a year.

Jeff from Gyeon has a good article on Detailed Image stating that it would be perfectly fine to use Gyeon Leather Coat to maintain or freshen the coating. It seemed to work well when I tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

..I placed an order online for the Leather Doctor kit. I also have the Gyeon coating on hand. I am going to test both out on different spots in a discreet region of the rear seats first, and see which system I like best.
    Ah, good approach. If you get a chance, post back about how the comparison goes and which you decided to stick with (if you don`t find a use for both).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information