Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review & How-To: Meguiar`s Car Wash Plus

Review & How-To: Meguiar`s Car Wash Plus
    Meguiars Car Wash Plus+

Description: (Taken from Autopia)

Meguiar`s Wash Plus+ is a car wash plus a whole lot more!

Features:
    Cleans tough dirt
    Removes bugs & tar
    Polishes away light scuffs
    Saves Time! Apply Directly to Mitt
    Clear Coat Safe
    Super Concentrated, Does 20+ cars!

Details:
    Size: 24oz Concentrate (20+ washes)

Price:

$9.99 for 24oz

Introduction:

For me, this product is one of the most controversial products that has been released recently. The first thing that went in my head was who in their right mind would use this product??? It seems so unsafe and it`s probably guaranteed to scratch your paint LOL! I had my doubts about this product and to be frank, I was ready to bash it because it just seems counter intuitive.

The thoughts I encountered about this product reminded me when rinseless washing first came out. Never thought the product would work, unsafe, would cause scratching, etc.

I guess let`s stop talking and put this product to the test!

Review:

Here`s the description and directions of this product:

The subject vehicle had a good layer of dust. It hasn`t been washed in 2 weeks. There hasn`t been any rain so it`s not overly dirty or muddy. Here are some close up shots showing how dusty the car is:

Here are some shots of bug guts that have been baking on the car:

The product description said that it could remove light scuff marks. So I wanted to put that claim to the test. Here are 2 sections of the vehicle where it has some scuff marks. These scuff marks have been on the vehicle for a while now and normal 2BM washing didn`t even touch them.

(Please see the 2 horizontal lines just above the roof of the car in the reflection)

First step is to rinse the vehicle to remove loose dirt and debris:

Next, drench your wash mitt in water so that it`s wet. Then apply the Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ soap directly on the wash mitt in a snake like pattern as shown:

Start washing a panel like normal:

Soap suds will materialize as you move the wash mitt around. Notice the insane amount of soap suds:

Rinse the panel you`re working on:

Same procedure on a different panel. This time we`re working on the hood. Again, wash the panel like normal after applying the Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ to your wash mitt:

Wash the entire panel and see the soap suds come out:

Rinse the panel you`re working on:

I assume you continue doing this until you`ve washed the entire vehicle. But IMHO, this is what makes this product controversial, unsafe and guaranteed to scratch your paint. You will accumulate all the dirt and debris from previous panels you washed and introduce them to the succeeding panels you`re washing.

But wait a minute!!! Let`s apply some logic and figure out a way to make this wash method safe.

Introducing the Marc08EX tips and tricks to make this product work safely:

What if we introduce a bucket that just has water and a grit guard inside? Just like a rinse bucket in the traditional 2 bucket method! So what you do is in between panels or soap applications to the wash mitt, you just dunk your wash mitt in the rinse bucket like you do in a traditional 2 bucket method to remove the dirt and debris lodged in your wash mitt.

That`s one way... But hey, you might say that the purpose of this product is to not use any buckets. Well, I have another solution for that! If you don`t want to bring out any buckets because it`s extra work and time consuming then what you do is just rinse your wash mitt with a strong stream of water in between panels or soap applications to the wash mitt. This will also help dislodge dirt and debris in your wash mitt from the recent panel you just washed.

Please excuse this picture. I wanted to take a picture of the mitt in my one hand and the hose nozzle on the other hand but I didn`t have the time and patience to setup my stand, the camera timer and get the right shot.

These 2 rinsing methods are what I actually employ when I use my foam gun to wash the car.

Continue washing the vehicle. The entire driver side of the vehicle was washed with only 2 applications of the Meguiars Car Wash Plus+. It`s crazy concentrated and one application in the wash mitt goes a very long way!

Rinse the car often and don`t let the soap dry.

Remember the bug gut that was in the front bumper? Let`s try to tackle that. First, wet the area to soften the bug gut:

Then just start washing the panel where the bug gut is. You may require to agitate this area more than normal to remove the baked on bug gut:

Here are some shots after washing the vehicle. As you can see, clean and shiny!

Bug guts gone!

Remember the 2 areas with scuff marks?? These areas literally required some elbow grease. So what I did was to wash the entire panel where the scuff marks are located then afterwards, I rinsed my wash mitt and re-applied some soap. Then I concentrated on the affected areas and applied some pressure as I was washing it. I actually washed it the same way as you`d polish scuff marks. Here are the results!! I was blown away that these scuff marks were removed. I honestly thought this car wash wouldn`t even touch them. It`s a car wash for crying out loud.

I originally thought that the bottle of Meguiars Car Wash Plus+ would only be able to wash a handful of cars. But boy I was wrong. Check out how much product I used after washing a Honda CR-V. I barely consumed anything! AMAZING!

Thoughts and Observations:

This product is very thick and viscous.

It has a very strong pleasant smell. I`d like to think it smells like an air freshener but I`m not exactly sure of the scent. I liked the scent a lot and it made washing the car a pleasure.

The product is highly concentrated. One application of the soap to the wash mitt can make you go at least 2 panels. I was able to wash 3 panels in one application but I didn`t want to push it beyond that. I didn`t want the dirt and debris to accumulate in my wash mitt.

As a result of the ultra high concentration - a bottle of this soap will be able to wash A LOT of cars.

The wash mitt needs to be drenched for this to work. If you wring out the wash mitt, the soap suds don`t get activated as well as when the wash mitt is drenched.

When extra steps are added to ensure that the wash mitt is clean, then this is definitely a safe method of washing the car IMHO.

I tested it to remove some light scuff marks - VERY IMPRESSED.

It definitely saved me time washing the car compared to using the 2BM.

Conclusion:

I`m sure many of you had doubts about this product as well but as Meguiar`s said - it`s a new revolutionary concept in car washing. I thought I wouldn`t like this product at all but I was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it. Not only that but it worked effectively as well. It saved me time and removed some light scuff marks too. I highly recommend you give this product a chance and try it out. I hope you`ll be equally impressed with it.

As always, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes gspam, Ronkh, WaxAddict, GearHead_1, Loach and 4 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Meguiar`s Car Wash Plus

This could be the next evolution of car soap. Great review

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    This could be the next evolution of car soap. Great review
    Thanks a lot Buster906!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome photo-review.

this reminds me of how I would "wash+wax" my car before I fell into the rabbit hole. I would apply car wash soap and cherry wax (and later Buttery Wax) directly to the wash mitt. You`d think this method would create a mess but it didn`t, at all. Shine for days. Swirls were a bonus. Not that this Meguiars stuff is remotely the same thing as my pre-autopian method, but the idea of applying thick goo to a mitt scares me due to my past transgressions.

Post Thanks / Like

Although there`s no way I would ever use this product, I wonder if washing with multiple mitts would make it safer.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Interesting product for sure that I probably wouldn`t have given a 2nd thought but for this review. Seems like maybe you wouldn`t want to use for a maintenance wash if it contains mild abrasives (since it polishes out scuff marks) that would likely take off your LSP. Would you agree with that?
    Likes nickclark08, Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the LSP degradation question. As always, great review!

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Great review! Interesting product for sure that I probably wouldn`t have given a 2nd thought but for this review. Seems like maybe you wouldn`t want to use for a maintenance wash if it contains mild abrasives (since it polishes out scuff marks) that would likely take off your LSP. Would you agree with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Have a couple of bottles of this stuff. What a strange, interesting, and excellent product.
    Obliterates bugs, grime, and otherwise nasty stuff that regular old car soap won`t touch. I`ve had no issue using one mitt, with frequent rinsing.

Where the product shines, is in LSP removal. Going over the panel twice, pretty much strips whatever is on there (wax, sealant). Nice product if you`re getting ready for a polishing, or if you`d like a "naked" panel for a new LSP.
    There`s another soap out there, with abrasives in in - made by a Japanese company - that works nearly as well. But given Meguiar`s is a US company, assumed to be made in the US, I`d turn to this product before for foreign alternative (which is also excellent).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. This is way to revolutionary to the ordinary consumer.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

That is a unique car wash product. Almost like a cleaner/polish. That would be my biggest concern of degrading your LSP by using it. But using it to strip/clean the paint before a new LSP is applied, here it could be great?
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Awesome photo-review.

this reminds me of how I would "wash+wax" my car before I fell into the rabbit hole. I would apply car wash soap and cherry wax (and later Buttery Wax) directly to the wash mitt. You`d think this method would create a mess but it didn`t, at all. Shine for days. Swirls were a bonus. Not that this Meguiars stuff is remotely the same thing as my pre-autopian method, but the idea of applying thick goo to a mitt scares me due to my past transgressions.
    Thanks WaxAddict!

Really? That`s very interesting. You were part of the revolutionary idea of Meguiar`s!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Although there`s no way I would ever use this product, I wonder if washing with multiple mitts would make it safer.
    That would work - like the GDM for rinseless washing. But I think that rinsing off the wash mitt with a rinse bucket or just by blasting it is adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Thank you so much boomDone!

Im really not sure about the LSP removal. It doesn`t say it in the product description. IMHO, I wouldn`t think it would degrade the LSP much if you`re just using it as a normal car wash, meaning by just washing your paint gently. But on the areas where you`re agitating the surface vigorously to remove bugs, tar and scuff marks then I would agree that it might remove LSP. Just use a spray LSP afterwards and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    +1 on the LSP degradation question. As always, great review!
    Thank you so much NickClark08! Please see my response above regarding LSP degradation. I will ask this question in MOL for further clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Have a couple of bottles of this stuff. What a strange, interesting, and excellent product.
    Obliterates bugs, grime, and otherwise nasty stuff that regular old car soap won`t touch. I`ve had no issue using one mitt, with frequent rinsing.

Where the product shines, is in LSP removal. Going over the panel twice, pretty much strips whatever is on there (wax, sealant). Nice product if you`re getting ready for a polishing, or if you`d like a "naked" panel for a new LSP.
    There`s another soap out there, with abrasives in in - made by a Japanese company - that works nearly as well. But given Meguiar`s is a US company, assumed to be made in the US, I`d turn to this product before for foreign alternative (which is also excellent).
    From your experience, does it eliminate the LSP completely?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Thanks for the review. This is way to revolutionary to the ordinary consumer.
    My pleasure Bunky! Thanks for reading and commenting.

I agree - it might be too revolutionary at this point. But if the consumer thinks it`s easier than bucket washing then I have no doubts that person will pick this product off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    That is a unique car wash product. Almost like a cleaner/polish. That would be my biggest concern of degrading your LSP by using it. But using it to strip/clean the paint before a new LSP is applied, here it could be great?
    Please see my response above to boomdone. I will clarify this over at MOL and report back what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

More than one mitt will always be a staple for me. It`s to help cut the risk of marring. This product scares me. I actually had a nightmare about it last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    More than one mitt will always be a staple for me. It`s to help cut the risk of marring. This product scares me. I actually had a nightmare about it last night.
    ROFL!!!

Yeah I totally understand. I think it will be a difficult or a long process for people to start accepting this product. But it`s a great product for what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still not sure what to make of this product. I can`t figure out who they are marketing this to. Pros will probably stay away due to marring concerns (unless they are going to polish after use, it`s not a water saving product, it`s may not appeal to the "Dawn works for me crowd" because they already have Dawn, right? It`s kind of a product looking for a market instead of the other way around. I think Meg`s is moving away from the Autopian crowd by discontinuing products like d114 and 3 inch microfiber pads. I understand we probably make up a less than 1 percent of their business, but we probably have a much greater influence on the market than they realize. I wonder if Meg`s sent out samples to detailers for their opinion prior to the products release? Doubtful.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Megs` market research department is like.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Marc08EX liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information