Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    While I`d never use/allow the use of the Wheel on exterior paint (yeah, I`ve seen those "doesn`t this look fine? Whaddya mean `no` ?!?" type results) I`d use it on the inside barrels of certain wheels. Not the ones I care about though.

DBailey- Huh, interesting that something works better than the 3M!
    But where else would you use a pin stripping removal wheel except for on exterior paint? I know it looks very scary, and I am amazed every time I use it that it does not mess up the paint, but it does not. Use a good wheel like the 3M ones. Just only use it on metal panels. NEVER EVER on plastic panels like bumpers. It will take the wheel weight foam backing/adhesive off in about a minute. Then wipe it clean with the 3M, GOOF OFF or the XENIT.

XENIT really dissolves adhesives well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    But where else would you use a pin stripping removal wheel except for on exterior paint?
    Well, that`s the thing...I wouldn`t use it nor allow anybody else to (on my vehicles).

I know it looks very scary, and I am amazed every time I use it that it does not mess up the paint, but it does not. Use a good wheel like the 3M ones. Just only use it on metal panels.
    You apparently have more skill with it than the people I`ve seen use one (I`ve never tried it). Every time I`ve seen somebody use one the results weren`t satisfactory IMO. Even on new vehicles where there was no ghosting, correction was always required if I inspected it properly.

I guess I oughta just keep quiet about this approach since I`m never gonna do it (lifetime supply of the 3M which works fine for me).

Post Thanks / Like

I had a chance to compare 3m and the Xenit this past weekend. It was a BMW 323i where the owner was using clear packaging tape to hold the 2 front grill pieces in place as the tabs had all broken. There was 3 layers of tape. The bottom layer was old and cracked. It was quite a mess. I did one side with the 3M and the other with the Xenit. A pinstripping tool was not a good choice as the tape was balling up into a gooey mess. So i had to use plastic scapers and the cleaners. On this tape adhesive the 3M was the better choice.

I do highly recommend the Xenit though as it has numerous uses and is safer on surfaces then the 3M. I have resurrected some pretty nasty carpet mats with Xenit.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DBAILY- What kinds of surfaces are vulnerable to the 3M but OK with the Xenit? I`d *guess* that some plastics might bleach/dry out with the 3M...

Post Thanks / Like

3M has turned chrome painted plastic funny on me. I had 3M leave an embossed imprint of my thumb on the roof an Escalade once. It had a bad tree sap problem. That stuff actually softened the clear up enough to leave my finger print.

You clean all kinds of stuff with XENIT. Pretty much anything you would use a APC on. It is just very strong citrus cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

DBAILEY- Huh, never had anything like that happen to me, but I`ll be more careful from now on thanks to your experiences. Thanks for elaborating.

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 works great as a adhesive remover!

Post Thanks / Like

Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Well I got my tires and treated them to a full Autopian detail. The most time consuming thing was getting the weight glue off. Goof Off works just fine. I had to put the car on my lift to get at some of the adhesive spots and I dressed both sides of the new tires
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- I gather you did it with the wheels on the car...was that easier than taking them off to do it? I`ve never done `em on the car...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It was a real time saver just to throw the car on the lift with the wheels installed

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Huh, never thought to do it that way in all those years I had a lift!n (Which yeah, I do sometimes miss after all ).

Post Thanks / Like

The whole process of removing the weight residue took an hour max. Then today I had to remove a dealer decal from my dad`s brand new van

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- I think I almost deliberately avoid keeping track of how long such stuff takes me.

Your dad got a new van, huh? No at-dealer decontamination for that one I still think of how *perfect* it was when you did that...

Post Thanks / Like

My dad said he didn`t have any time for it so no decontamination luckily there was no dealer installed swirls. All I have to do is wash and LSP when he wants me too. I wish I had some fk 1000p. Gonna have to settle for Collinite

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Well, the Collinite is OK too. Wonder if you`ll ever notice that it didn`t get the decon...
    Likes Bill D liked this post

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information