Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    GearHead_1- Come to think of it, some of my German wheels have green/tealish dots on the innser lips...IIRC at least...
    I had a set of Enkei`s quite a while back that came with a sticker on the face bead of the wheel to mark the spot. The stickers would of course peel right off. I knew what it was used for when they were mounted and used it accordingly. That said, I can see how it can literally be a one use benefit unless you remembered to mark the wheel using the tire spot when changing tires out. Sometimes the dots on the tires don`t make it until it`s time to change tires. Other manufacturers spots can be very difficult to remove from off the rubber. I have a pretty good memory but I suspect many don`t think that far "down the road", literally. You`d also have to be standing over the tire tech`s shoulder to explain what it is you want done.

A lot of tire mounters would think you were nuts if you had them put a crayon stripe on the wheel to match the old tire and then match the new tire to that mark on the wheel. Let`s face it often times the turn over rate on tire techs is high. Just about the time you get one trained to really understand all the nuances of mounting and balancing expensive wheels and tires, they`re moving on to greener pastures. I guess what I`m trying to say here is that it`s understandable that the common practice is to match the valve stem to the tire, that`s something just about everyone can remember.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gearhead, I`ve seen the dots but never knew what they were for.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Uh oh given what I`ve read so far, I`m not looking forward to getting new tires. I highly doubt anyone around here is a perfectionist enough to mount them as good as described above
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Uh oh given what I`ve read so far, I`m not looking forward to getting new tires. I highly doubt anyone around here is a perfectionist enough to mount them as good as described above
    It would be my hope that the most important thing any would gather from anything I`ve related in this discussion is that a good wheel balancer and a tech that knows how to use it will make a tire ride and perform very well regardless of a dot here and a dot there.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I can mention about the dots but not expect them to actually line them up. I might jump for joy if some how I do get an Autopian tech

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead_1- Heh heh, the only guys who touch anything on my vehicles know me well enough to be used to the "oh, he`s nuts...just humor him" I learned my lesson about using "the TireRack recommended local installers", learned it the hard way so my wheels/tires travel a ways to be done by somebody I trust.

The dots on my tires have always lasted the life of the tires, still see `em on tires that`re [so old I won`t post it ] which contributes to my dismay when they`re not lined up, seeing `em for years...

Are Hunter balancing machines still the [stuff]?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the goof off. I`ll see how it works.
    Likes Bal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been a while since I`ve been in the middle of it Accumulator. Hunter and Coats were pretty well respected balancers in the day. We used both. I think Rotary and Bendpac are in the game these days too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead_1- Should I, heaven forbid, have to find somebody new it`d pay for me to stay current Tires for the Tahoe and Crown Vic (wheels & TPS for that one too I`m afraid) are in my future. Been keeping the rubber companies in business lately, just did the `93 and `00 Audis last autumn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    It would be my hope that the most important thing any would gather from anything I`ve related in this discussion is that a good wheel balancer and a tech that knows how to use it will make a tire ride and perform very well regardless of a dot here and a dot there.
    Agreed. I send my friends to the local shop that does race setup and alignment. It isn`t just the tires and wheels, it is all the rest of it. Worth the extra $s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Found this helpful? Please like this post.
    Watch my various detailing videos.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Are Hunter balancing machines still the [stuff]?
    Alot has come along way in the last couple years. For tire mounters, everything from just the wheel/tire on/off from the floor for the worker, there is a lift that does just that. Everything that touches the tires is all rubber, and makes mounting 35 and lower profile tires, makes it like child plays....

Same goes for balancers. Pay a little bit more and get it match mounted. Dots aside, they will go the extra mile and mount the high/low respectively on the tire and wheel to minimize on wheel weights. Road Forced balanced tires should not cost you any more at a good tire shop , but then again, it varies...

I pay $180-$200 for a alignment and for many, this may be too expensive...
    BTW, I think I mentioned this in this thread or another. Their alignment sensors are TOUCHLESS . Like a Laser touchless wash, it really is touchless. Clamps onto your tires. No 4 metal nubs on your wheels....which for some ,when you`re running 8-10K wheels, these things do count.

Beissbarth makes some fine stuff too, just not popular in my neck of the woods
    Likes Oneheadlite, Bal liked this post
    Thanks Bal thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    This is where I confess that when I do tires, I don`t generally pay attention to the mounting dots. I`m more Auto Technician, less tire changer, so the times I do get a chance to do tires, it`s a glorious turn-your-brain-off/muscle-memory kind of job (think applying wax vs polishing).

BUT: When I balance them, they all get Road Force checked. We`ve got the Hunter tire changer (one step below the one that literally does everything for you) and the Road Force Balancer (again, 1 step down - I actually have to pick the tire up to put it on the machine). When mounting tires, I also take steps to help the bead relax into position (you give the lightly inflated tire a gentle squeeze with the rollers and run it a few revolutions). Then when balancing, I also pay attention when the machine is doing it`s checks to make sure the tire is spinning true and doesn`t have visible issues (sometimes even the machine misses this part). Road force is king, lots of weight is queen. Either are too high, and I`ll re-index the tire 180 on the wheel and have another go.

Post Thanks / Like

On topic for wheel weight adhesive removal: Balanced my wife`s summer wheels this weekend, so I actually paid attention to the process I use. Also compared Brake Clean vs the 3M adhesive remover. Didn`t do any more experimenting than that because hey: Who wants to be at work on a weekend?

My approach goes as follows: Apply juice to rag, work into the foam still stuck on the wheel. This softens it up. Next, scrape the foam off with your plastic tool of choice. Now you just have the adhesive to deal with. Another application of adhesive remover of choice, and it`ll blow what`s left right off. Quick and easy.

In the end, I`d say play it safe and go with the 3M Adhesive remover - on cheap/refinished wheels I have had brake clean affect the surface slightly. The 3M stuff works well but didn`t seem to have any effect on the paint. I`ve had goof off spray mess paint up on race car stuff in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Way OT, but OHeadLite,......granted machines cost money, but man, the autolift on the machines is such a HUGE PPE for a guy that does tires all day. I would take a paycut (well given the right balance) if one to choose to work in a shop that had one and one that didn`t and all I did was hustle/bustle tires all day long

Post Thanks / Like

We`ve got it for the Tire Machine, just not for the balancer. Glad I don`t have to huff them on and off all the time - We`re more of a shop that also does tires vs a tire shop.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information