Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    While not always the rule, IME, when getting new rubber, the weights generally tend to land on the same ~area~.
    One must be careful to not accelerate possible adhesion issues in removoing old glue if new weights are on the same plane.

LOL. Talk about timing of this thread.
    Co-worker asked me what do I use to clean my wheels/wheelweels......
    He had his tires replaced at Costco, and I suppose between dirty wheels and tech not cleaning the surface, co worker was missing weights on all 4 wheels !
    That definitely makes sense that they would be in the same place. Not sure what the story is with my wheels then because I had stickies all over the shop and on one of my neighbor`s wheels there`s a foot long strip of sticky residue. We both recently had tires mounted and balanced at a local alignment shop that is trusted and specializes in racing setups so I`m confident that the current weights are correct for the car.

I`ve heard of the "screwdriver method" of wheel weight removal too... Ugh.
    Found this helpful? Please like this post.
    Watch my various detailing videos.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m OCD when it comes to tire/wheels. Partially because I spend way too much money on both.
    I got a preferred tire guy...hes a good hrs drive from me. Has great equipment.
    Everything is all touchless. Even on alignments, the new touchless clamps that go on the TIRE and not on the wheel is a godsend !
    IMO, it`s worth it to pay a little bit extra for the shop to force/match mount the tires.
    It minimzes the amount of weights needed per wheel...
    Likes Bal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Way OT, but at the end of the day you have 4 things the size of a dinner plate - that is holding you onto the road....that`s it !
    Don`t buy cheap tires.....
    Likes Ronkh, Bal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

So, I have a trick I`ve shared before - that may be worth repeating... Mind you, I only recommend doing this as a last resort. However, I have done this on paint without causing damage - so I know it`s safe & quite effective if you are careful...

1. Get a MF wax applicator pad & prime it with a liberal amount of some heavy cut compound.

2. Then, soak the pad with Goo Gone / Goof Off/ or mineral spirits. After that, apply some working compound to the pad.

3. Then, get a heat gun & warm up the glue until it`s pretty hot.

4. Then, buff the glue with some downward force (using your hands) while the glue is hot. You can keep everything hot while you buff - you may get some smoke. Don`t set your self or anything on fire. Keep the pad wet with whatever you are using. Again it will be hot & you will get smoke - so don`t set yourself on fire.

I`ve found the above way to work when absolutely nothing else will, or when something else is taking forever.
    Thanks Bal thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

<--- I`d set myself on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    So, I have a trick I`ve shared before - that may be worth repeating... Mind you, I only recommend doing this as a last resort. However, I have done this on paint without causing damage - so I know it`s safe & quite effective if you are careful...

1. Get a MF wax applicator pad & prime it with a liberal amount of some heavy cut compound.

2. Then, soak the pad with Goo Gone / Goof Off/ or mineral spirits. After that, apply some working compound to the pad.

3. Then, get a heat gun & warm up the glue until it`s pretty hot.

4. Then, buff the glue with some downward force (using your hands) while the glue is hot. You can keep everything hot while you buff - you may get some smoke. Don`t set your self or anything on fire. Keep the pad wet with whatever you are using. Again it will be hot & you will get smoke - so don`t set yourself on fire.

I`ve found the above way to work when absolutely nothing else will, or when something else is taking forever.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m too chicken to try that It sounds like I`m going to have to set aside plenty of time for this once I get my new tires
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Also kinda off-topic, but keep an eye peeled for "balancing indicator dots" and have the tech try to align them with the valvestems. Astounding to me that so few "Professionals" know to do that...had to educate my guys, and they`re people I consider good (well, good enough to be the only guys in those shops allowed to touch my vehicles).
    Likes Bal, HCF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just to back Accumulators comment it should also be understood that manufacturers of both tires and wheels use dots differently and many wheel manufacturers do not use dots, some tire manufacturers only use one dot. My experience is that high end wheels ususally have a mark, this is particularly true with 2 and 3 piece wheels. I assume that this is because of the possibility in stacking tolerances that can potentially result in additional runout. High end tires often have 2 marks. Not all manufacturers of wheels mark a low spot on the wheel leaving the valve stem as the only point of reference. If the wheel and tire both use an index mark the process can be a little different but many don`t use the wheel mark either out of habit or convenience, they just use the valve stem.

The red dot indicates the high spot on the tire and is to be used as the location for measuring tread wear, theoretically this is where tire wear should be measured as opposed to just using wear bars, high spots wear the fastest. The yellow dot represents the lightest part of the tire, sometimes called the point of maximum force variation. The yellow dot should be lined up with the heaviest part of the wheel, theoretically the valve stem. This practice is called phase aligning the tire.

There are a couple of mounting options however depending upon on both the tire and wheel manufacturer`s use of dots. One way is that the yellow spot (sometimes white depending on manufacturer) should be mounted on the heavy spot (valve stem) on the wheel. In which case the red dot would be the high point on the tire, and wear the fastest, indicating the need for replacement sooner that other places on the tread. The other option is to place the red spot (high) on the low spot (valve stem) on the wheel, or if the wheel has a separate low spot mark from the valve stem, then try to match the red high spot with the marked low spot.

This all said, if you don`t see a dot above your valve stem I wouldn`t get too worried about it. Modern wheel balancers can make most any mounting combination, regardless of where the dots are mounted, balance to a point where there is no discernible vibration.

Unless of course you have a set of tires that are matched perfect in staggered spectrum that is.

A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Oneheadlite, Bal, MattPersman liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Bal, rlmccarty2000, MattPersman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used goof off and it`s worked but goof off gel worked better think being that it`s thicker and I let it soak in

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead_1- Thanks for expanding on the "dots". I can`t recall seeing `em on any of my wheels, but I`m going to keep an eye peeled from now on.

But yeah, while seeing the dots *not* indexed bugs me, the actual balance works out OK if the tech does his job. It DOES bug me though, it`s like marring or curb-rash...says "Hey world, I don`t know what I`m doing!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    GearHead_1- Thanks for expanding on the "dots". I can`t recall seeing `em on any of my wheels, but I`m going to keep an eye peeled from now on.

But yeah, while seeing the dots *not* indexed bugs me, the actual balance works out OK if the tech does his job. It DOES bug me though, it`s like marring or curb-rash...says "Hey world, I don`t know what I`m doing!"
    Your welcome and I get that completely. It`s kind of like, well you could have, why wouldn`t you? Marks on the wheels are usually on the inside bead on the face side of the wheel. Many of these marks don`t make it through the first set of tires.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I would have used a pin-stripping removal wheel to remove the weight adhesive since you had taken the wheels off and had easy access. Try using Stoner`s XENIT next time. I find it works even better than the 3M.

Post Thanks / Like

isn`t there somewhat of a ~curve~ with using said tool - aka, it can remove paint if not in the right hands....

Post Thanks / Like

While I`d never use/allow the use of the Wheel on exterior paint (yeah, I`ve seen those "doesn`t this look fine? Whaddya mean `no` ?!?" type results) I`d use it on the inside barrels of certain wheels. Not the ones I care about though.

DBailey- Huh, interesting that something works better than the 3M!

GearHead_1- Come to think of it, some of my German wheels have green/tealish dots on the innser lips...IIRC at least...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I would have used a pin-stripping removal wheel to remove the weight adhesive since you had taken the wheels off and had easy access. Try using Stoner`s XENIT next time. I find it works even better than the 3M.
    Thanks for the tip on Xenit. I did see a YouTube video with a Dutch guy using a wheel. I can see how I would mess that up...
    Found this helpful? Please like this post.
    Watch my various detailing videos.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information