Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goof Off vs 3M Adhesive Remover vs Brake Cleaner for removing sticky stuff

I`m probably going to decon it at some point when I get it alone
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, you crazy Autopian you

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Brump. This was not the thread I was thinking about. But I thought this was the one...

Anyhow, has anyone use the Stripe Off Wheel. How ~bad~ is it on paint.
    I`m planning to remove/replace a moulding tomorrow. I know it`s got double sided tape on it

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t use Brake Clean on paint. My old SUV had some miserable trim adhesive on it - a lot of it. It wouldn`t budge.

I finally got it off 100% without damaging paint. The way I did it was heat the adhesive up with a heat gun. Then buff it off with a foam hand pad soaked in mineral spirits/Goo Gone with compound on the pad. I`m pretty sure if this doesn`t work - nothing will.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They work pretty well on pin stripes, vinyl, wheel weight adhesive, etc. You will probably need to do some polishing after but they are quick. I find rubbing the paint excessively and using plastic razor`s is high risk to damage the paint and need polishing just as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Thread Brump. This was not the thread I was thinking about. But I thought this was the one...

Anyhow, has anyone use the Stripe Off Wheel. How ~bad~ is it on paint.
    I`m planning to remove/replace a moulding tomorrow. I know it`s got double sided tape on it
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

The wheel definitely looks scary and the first time I tried one, I thought for sure it was going to damage the paint. However, it remarkably does not. Do not use the pin stripping wheel on single stage paint or on painted plastic panels/bumpers/fenders. Metal panels only. I use the 3M wheel as that is crepe type rubber. Other brands had a different rubber. Don`t leave the wheel in the same spot for too long and keep it moving. Sometimes the wheel spinning on the same plane as the stripe works best. Some times the wheel spinning perpendicular to the stripe and cutting off 1/4-1/2" at a time works best . Sometimes the wheel spinning at a angle to the stripe and cutting off 1/4-1/2" at a time works best. You have to try all 3 and sometimes the way you are forced to hold the drill will dictate the best way.

I keep the drill on the low setting. I feather the trigger to start when needed but once I get going I use full speed at the low setting.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad the wheels work for some of you guys, but I`ve never seen it be OK IRL. I *have* had guys say "look, perfectly OK!"...but it wasn`t and they acted like I was being hypercritical or that I did an "unfair inspection".
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely will need to clean it up afterwards for sure. It beats picking at it with a plastic razor. There will always be a shadow line left behind too. Even if you`ve wet sanded any raised surface flat the contrast between color fade of the panel and the non faded shaded area underneath the stripe won`t go away. It will take off wheel weight tape pretty easily though. Same with double stick tape that was behind emblems and badges too.

Post Thanks / Like

DBAILEY- Good on you for bringing up the Ghosting. Sorta funny how/when it does/doesn`t happen, but I tend to be pessimistic about it if only so I`m not disappointed. Sigh...there`s just *NO WAY* I can lose some of the emblems on the Tahoe, even (I bet) if I have it reshot. OK, a bare-metal job, but sheesh...

Wheel Weight Adhesive *always* comes off easily for me with the 3M. Always, right off cleanly with zero hassling about. But then I do let it dwell for a good long time before I expect any results.

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished putting/replacing the door side trim with new. The bodyshop (my indys) reused/repurposed the old one and put on super thick double sided tape (or thicker) to the point where there was a gap between panel and trim ....

I`m not into debadging, but in my younger days, I have removed a emblem or two, but this is with heat and dental floss.

Double Side running the length of the entire of all doors = no bueno.
    $@)$)$@!# - not fun at all on adhesive cleanup. <_<

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get rid of the adhesive switch to ceramic tire balancing beads. Makes life alot easier. Tires stay in balance all the time. Consult the bead manufacturer if you have to fix a flat on how many beads to add.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kajunman View Post
    Once you get rid of the adhesive switch to ceramic tire balancing beads..
    Yet to catch on in my area, only this year that somebody remotely local to me got a decent changer/balancer setup, used to go *hours* for such work just to avoid major damage.

Post Thanks / Like

For those familar, just curious.....is there a difference in ~clean removal~ on double sided tape - depending on the thickness of the tape. aka, I have removed double sided items in the past, but this is with reallly thin double side tape, and you could roll/peel some off.

Yesterdays tape was a whole nuther beast. Pick/roll was not happening. And the chems used on it did not loosen the tape off aint, but broke the leftover tape down to a softer texture, in which slow ~plastic scraping~, MF rubbing, etc removed it. It turned out to be a much longer process on cleanup/removal that I had anticipated/hoped for. Eh, I did say hoped for.

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Did you try propping some paper towels soaked with Adhesive Remover on it to dwell for a while? Just curious as that`s worked OK when I ran into terribly tenacious adhesives. [Freakin`] hassle though, to put it mildly.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I will add here is I`ve seen GOOF OFF off completely cloud and stain paint easily… I`ll never use it on a car. I`m a GOOGONE and 3M adhesive remover guy.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information