Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Review: 3D 505 AIO vs HD Speed

So as I posted up the other day. I purchased a bottle of 3D new 505 correction glaze which is a body shop safe version of the famous HD Speed. They claim that it cuts a bit better and wipes off easier than speed.

So my test subject for this comparison is my dad`s Pontiac g6 in black. This car sits outside 24/7 and the only time it gets any love is when I have to steal it from him lol. He thinks he is inconveniencing me if he asks me to clean it. Which couldn`t be further from the truth lol.

Anyway after a very aggressive wash and decontamination process this is what I was left with.

Swirls, marring, RIDS etc

For the first part of the test I put a thick tape line to divide the door into 2 sections. The left side for 505 and the right for Speed.

This is the 505 side with which I started with.

For testing I am using my G21, clean LC orange Pro thin pads.

One thing to note is that being that I used a orange pad which is a bit stiffer I highly suggest priming the pad by forcing some of the product into the cells of the pad. This helps keep initial product sling down. I found out the hard way at first lol. I didn`t experience this the previous day with a soft polishing pad.

Pre priming.

After priming I spread out the product a bit and began polishing on speed 6. I did somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 passes with medium arm speed and pressure. I wanted to test out the working time. As expected it just kept working and working without drying or dusting.

Wipe off was effortless and showed great correcting ability!

For the speed side the same process was repeated. Using a fresh LC pro thin orange pad.

So after completing this test I did have some observations.

IMO 505 spread out a bit easier. Almost like a liquid paste wax. Not a huge difference over speed but something to note.

I did get a tiny bit of dusting with speed vs none with 505.

Wipe off was the same for me.

As for correcting ability and finishing. It was impossible to capture but I had a faint bit better gloss with 505. It`s so minimal that not many I think would notice.

At this point I had more similarities then differences.

Here is a video of the test panel.

https://youtu.be/BM-R5mzkDkM

For the next part of the test I wanted to really test out cutting ability of 505 with a boss microfiber cutting pad. I had a feeling that it would haze. And it did haze a bit. I followed it up with the orange LC pro thin pad and it cleared it right up.

One thing that did notice after completing the whole car with 505 is that it clears out of the pad easier than speed with compressed air. Speed tends to gum up my pads and not release easily. I was able to complete the whole car with one orange pad. Blowing it out after each panel and using one to two drops per panel.

Here`s a video of the hood after using the microfiber follwed by the orange pad.

https://youtu.be/VDLX5LOzvVA

My overall thought is that I really do like 505 but it is a bit pricey vs speed. Are the few benefits of 505 over speed worth the added cost? That`s for others to form there opinion on. I will continue to use this bottle and see where I stand at the end. But for now for me it`s a keeper.

Here`s the car all finished up with a coat of Collonite 476 for a little added protection.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks Migue thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D 505 AIO vs HD Speed

Thanks for the review and videos. Your point about Speed gumming up pads...I`ve had the same experience. I`ve only tried one other AIO so far (Chemical Guys V4), and that was worse than Speed in this category. The 505 is a bit pricey, so I`ll probably not be adding it until I use up my supply of Speed and McKees 360.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review
    to me, the less dusting the better
    now I wait for a small sample sized bottle for sale, lol....no way do I need another 8,16, or 32 ounces of any type of polish anytime soon

glad to see the brand offering a new AIO that appears to be as much of a winner (to me) as the AAT twins

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

side note: I just noticed the bottle says Montan UV Protection, interesting

just a random thought but the first thing that came to mind was "they have managed to add poxy to this cocktail as well, awesome"

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely, done and a great review thank you
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Thanks for the review and videos. Your point about Speed gumming up pads...I`ve had the same experience. I`ve only tried one other AIO so far (Chemical Guys V4), and that was worse than Speed in this category. The 505 is a bit pricey, so I`ll probably not be adding it until I use up my supply of Speed and McKees 360.
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    thanks for the review
    to me, the less dusting the better
    now I wait for a small sample sized bottle for sale, lol....no way do I need another 8,16, or 32 ounces of any type of polish anytime soon

glad to see the brand offering a new AIO that appears to be as much of a winner (to me) as the AAT twins
    Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    side note: I just noticed the bottle says Montan UV Protection, interesting

just a random thought but the first thing that came to mind was "they have managed to add poxy to this cocktail as well, awesome"

I hear ya not needing anything new soon! I am in the same boat lol. Only reason I purchased it was my speed is pretty much gone.

Speed has Poxy in it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely, done and a great review thank you
    Your welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    Your welcome!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for review, now I know I don`t have to buy another aio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that he AAT versions of speed and polish don`t seem to perform well enough to merit the price difference. Hard to compete against your own line.

Post Thanks / Like

For the intended target audience (body shops), the fact that 505 is body-shop safe and doesn`t dust may well be worth the extra money. Plus, they can pass on the cost of materials to the customer. For the enthusiast (or even professional detailer) the extra benefits of 505 are of no consequence, so continuing to offer both products for their respective target audience makes a lot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Car turned out fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2090485`]For the intended target audience (body shops), the fact that 505 is body-shop safe and doesn`t dust may well be worth the extra money. Plus, they can pass on the cost of materials to the customer. For the enthusiast (or even professional detailer) the extra benefits of 505 are of no consequence, so continuing to offer both products for their respective target audience makes a lot of sense.
    I cant help but wonder why you would use an AIO if there was any intention to paint afterwards?..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I cant help but wonder why you would use an AIO if there was any intention to paint afterwards?..
    Maybe as a final polish after a paint before turning over to client so there is some Uv protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Maybe as a final polish after a paint before turning over to client so there is some Uv protection

Yeah but I`d thought the point of "bodyshop safe" was for painting after the polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Yeah but I`d thought the point of "bodyshop safe" was for painting after the polishing step.
    I thought bodyshops polished after painting and it has to be safe for body shop due to being done in same building

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information