Post Thanks / Like

FLEX, M101 vs. Rupes, FCC

Hi Dave,

Got a chance to run this comparison yesterday. Tried to take pics but didn`t get any that showed anything worthwhile.

Flex 3401 w/ gray LC Force cutting pad, speed 5, 4 passes.

Rupes LHR15 Mk 2 with Kamikaze Beast backing plate, GG FCC, white Fast Correcting foam pad, speed 4.5, 6 passes.

In the end, results were 95% equal. The M101 was able to cut a bit deeper but that was on specific deep scratch that FCC couldn`t handle. FCC w the Flex couldn`t get to it either. Only M101 and some heavy pressure reduced it to livable...and it took some extra attention.

Remove that specific instance and results were pretty much equal; Flex combo a bit quicker, more force than style. FCC an easier and certainly less taxing task. Could also be due to my lack of technique with the Rupes.

Both finished out quite well, perhaps M101 a very, very slight disadvantage on hazing, both sections quickly brought to LSP ready with some quick passes with M205.

Glad I have FCC now, will be using it more going forward with various pads, looks like it`ll be quite good on perhaps a less aggressive pad on less beat up paint. Definitely gonna explore it more.

Slight edge to M101 in terms of cost and will still lean on this for the worst case scenarios despite the extra pounding from the Flex/gray combo. For me it`s the quickest, most mindless way to get past the compounding step in the worst of cases.
    Likes trashmanssd, donbeezy, Ronkh, Marc08EX, RaskyR1 liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX, M101 vs. Rupes, FCC

how was the dusting?

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in hearing more about the Kamikaze Beast backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

BudgetPlan1- Thanks for posting this, glad (but not really surprised ) to hear the Flex 3401/M101 combo did so well.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I get what you were going for in your test, a tip Jason Rose gave me a while back when doing compassion testing was to always have only one variable. Your test has multiple variables...different tools, pads, compounds, and speed settings. Your scenario is unique though as it`s not just comparing 2 products, but two different processes as a whole.

Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    While I get what you were going for in your test, a tip Jason Rose gave me a while back when doing compassion testing was to always have only one variable. Your test has multiple variables...different tools, pads, compounds, and speed settings. Your scenario is unique though as it`s not just comparing 2 products, but two different processes as a whole.

Thanks for posting!
    I get yer point; I did this at the request of another member so I had him dictate parameters and that`s why 2 machines and 2 pads. I did do a bit of M101 vs FCC using only Flex and gray Force Hybrid pad and the results were pretty much the same.

Bear in mind that an experienced pro like yourself likely could have produced better results with the BOSS combo and long throw. Only been doing this stuff since last Spring (GG6) and only about 20hrs w/ newly acquired Rupes while Flex is a bit easier for me to deal with as its power can overcome some of my `amateur hour` tendencies. FLEX, M101 vs. Rupes, FCC
    Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    how was the dusting?
    With the M101 and only 4 passes, really didn`t have a chance to dust much and removal was easier than the FCC and 6 passes. The FCC really didn`t produce any dusting worth noting and was *slightly* tougher to remove although would still be considered `easy` as far as removal goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DKumarm3 View Post
    Interested in hearing more about the Kamikaze Beast backing plate.
    Just posted a review in this section. Not sure if allowed but it`s there now.

A side note about the gray force hybrid pad: The standard orange pad brush destroys it if used aggressively. Chews up the surface to where it`s no longer smooth. Oops.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Thread Information