Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - KXK Dynamics Punch Set

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post
    Thanks XxBoostinxX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

According to my calc, you would need only 6.4 pads (Wholesale pricing) or 4.6 pads (Regular pricing) to break even on a full punch set. These calculations are based on lake county microfiber pads using 6.25 inch pads and getting 12 x 1.5 inch pads out of each (Which is displayed up above). Pricing and cost may vary but the margin of error is maybe a pad or so max.

Keep in mind this calc is based on purchasing the full kit not just the inch punch. I did not factor in a good dead blow.

Hope this helps on cost benefit, I know I will be ording one for my microfibers but I will not use this for the rupes pads. The slanted edges on the rupes pads help balance them and I like to have a little extra cushion/distance for tight spots. I`ve tested the backing plates and they can knick the paint pretty good when they do make contact even at lower speeds.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Punched some more 1" pads last night. Took me all of 5 min to cut all these pads. Review - KXK Dynamics Punch Set

Meg`s Xtra Cut MF
    Meg`s Cutting Disc
    Hydrotech Thin Cyan
    Hydrotech Thin Tangerine
    WHAT?!

That`s all it took? Just five min? WAY quicker than I thought it would take. If I were doing way more work, I definitely would get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    ...I will not use this for the rupes pads. The slanted edges on the rupes pads help balance them and I like to have a little extra cushion/distance for tight spots. I`ve tested the backing plates and they can knick the paint pretty good when they do make contact even at lower speeds.

That did occur to me...waiting for others to do the beta-work experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CerceS550 View Post

Nice! I take it you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    ....I know I will be ording one for my microfibers but I will not use this for the rupes pads. The slanted edges on the rupes pads help balance them and I like to have a little extra cushion/distance for tight spots. I`ve tested the backing plates and they can knick the paint pretty good when they do make contact even at lower speeds.
    I did it on a Rupes pad strictly as a test. That pad has actually already failed and I was curious how well it would cut due to the thickness. I would only use the cut Rupes pads (and Hydrotech`s) on rotary mode. That way they aren`t thrown by a DA.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    WHAT?!

That`s all it took? Just five min? WAY quicker than I thought it would take. If I were doing way more work, I definitely would get one.
    Yep! Doesn`t take any time once you get it down.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes JustJesus, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Takes no time at all to cut them. I just need to use the pads now

Likes JustJesus, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an update on how their cut pads are holding up? I am curious to hear how smooth the pads run and if there is a difference in smoothness with MF pads vs Foam. TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NLove View Post
    Does anyone have an update on how their cut pads are holding up? I am curious to hear how smooth the pads run and if there is a difference in smoothness with MF pads vs Foam. TIA!
    Mine are still holding up great. Haven’t cut any pads in a while. The hardest part is keeping up with the small pads and not losing them lol.

The foam pads don’t work great on a DA due to the thickness. Once they start spinning they expand and try to come off the BP on full speed. I ended up cutting one of my foam pads in half with a razor blade to see if it made a difference and it works great on a DA since it is thinner. The MF pads work great and stay attached as well. I think the nap of the MF pads are a little to long for such a small pad. I think they would cut better with a shorter nap.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Mine are still holding up great...[but]..The foam pads don’t work great on a DA ..[though]..The MF pads work great and stay attached.
    Thanks for the update, I was just thinking about this the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That did occur to me...waiting for others to do the beta-work experiences.
    I absolutely hate this. I`ve had this issue with uro-fiber 3" pads. When working in tight areas the extra .25" or even .5" is important to help protect the paint from hitting it with the backing plate. kxk said they made the punch 2.75" because if they made it any larger you wouldn`t be able to cut 3 pads out of a 6" pad.

Post Thanks / Like

LashingStanley- I agree, having a little extra is my preference too. I`ll sometimes do something without that and every time I get away with it I wonder if I`ll get bitten next time

I can`t *quite* figure out which pads were/weren`t OK for you...are the Uro-fiber ones a bit small? I gather that the punched ones *are* too small and that`s *REALLY* worth knowing IMO...I don`t care how many I get out of a donor, I want `em to be what I like. Sorry, but if you could clarify just a bit I`d appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LashingStanley- I agree, having a little extra is my preference too. I`ll sometimes do something without that and every time I get away with it I wonder if I`ll get bitten next time

I can`t *quite* figure out which pads were/weren`t OK for you...are the Uro-fiber ones a bit small? I gather that the punched ones *are* too small and that`s *REALLY* worth knowing IMO...I don`t care how many I get out of a donor, I want `em to be what I like. Sorry, but if you could clarify just a bit I`d appreciate it.

Sorry for not explaining myself a little better in my previous post.

The 3" KXK punch is actually 2.75" which is literally the exact fit and depending on the backing plate (specifically the LC 3" backing plate) the actual diameter can be slightly larger than the 2.75" pads the "3 inch" punch produces. This is a terrible design and like you I don`t care about the ability to cut 3 pads out of a 6" pad, I`d rather be able to only punch 2 pads that are 3.25" in diameter because when I`m working in an area that requires a smaller pad, the last thing I want is a pad that isn`t large enough to provide a "buffer" that protects adjacent panels. If a pad has a tapered edge (examples; uro-tecs, HDO`s, uro-cells) then an exact fit pad is great because the tapper on the outer circumference of the pad provides that "buffer" I`m referring too.

Uro-fiber pads are exactly 3" and 5" so there is a very slight overhang so I think they are completely safe, but especially when I`m using the smaller 3" pads I`d prefer a little more overhang to safely correct smaller areas.

Uro-fiber pads are exactly 3" & 5"
    LC microfiber pads are 3.25" & 5.25"
    Megs MF pads are 3.5" and 5.5"

I tend to prefer the size of the LC Microfiber pads. They have enough overhang that I don`t have to worry about bumping anything with the backing plate but there isn`t so much overhang that you aren`t able to apply adequate pressure on the outer circumference of the pad.

Hopefully that made more sense.

I love the uro-fiber and LC microfiber for their incredible durability and how much more effective they are at staying cool (even though I`m typically using SMAT compounds and am a big proponent of short cycling I still have noticed a difference in heat)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this video can be some help for someone. It`s a really great thing to lower the cost on these smaller pads as they are expensive. And that some pads don`t exists in the small sizes.

https://youtu.be/hWPNF-6v_zE

Post Thanks / Like

LashingStanley- Thanks, that was a great explanation and I really appreciate it.

SWETM- Thanks for posting that link even if my reaction to is probably isn`t what you`d have preferred. (And yeah, I did FF through it as per my usual refusal to watch Detailing videos )

Post Thanks / Like

He does smaller pads with a hollow puncher set. From 50mm to 10mm I think it was. Seems like it`s not so expensive but if you where to do a large amount of pads he recommend better quality ones. Would be able find it in a hardware store I think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information