Post Thanks / Like

Foam Gun vs. Yard Work.

I`ve been using the Scott`s system on our lawn for years, and for the most part I`ve been happy with it. About the only time it fails is during dry weather, and/or when the grubs come out.

I ran across an article a few years ago about a golf course grounds keeper that uses a `home brew` of common household products to combat bugs and brown grass (drought conditions).

I decided to give it a shot this year. Our water/sewer bill has more than doubled this year, and I really don`t want a $500 water/sewer bill in return for green grass. Until recently it`s been very dry in Delaware, and the lawn was starting to get brown patches. That said I decided to give the `lawn tonic` a shot.

You combine a mixture of soda, beer, ammonia, dish soap, and mouth wash (yes, I laughed at it too...). This loads up PERFECT in the foam gun.

I`m on my second treatment, and can see a noticeable difference in our lawn. It`s thicker, very green, and the brown patches are starting to disappear.

Here`s a link to the article.
    http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp...av=menu107_3_2

I though I`d share, since this is another use for the foam gun.

I`ve also used the foam gun filled with Amazing roll off to clean the deck and it cut a 3 hour job down to about 90 minutes (a lot due to amazing roll off being an EXCELLENT deck wash).

I sat on the fence for a long time on the foam gun. I`ve found it to be a very versatile/useful tool, and don`t regret buying it at all. I thought I`d use it to wash the car a few time and the novelty would wear off. IMO -it makes a BIG difference -especially on black paint.

I`ve been flushing it with a few cans of vinegar/water when I`m not using it for car washes. So far no problems.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Gun vs. Yard Work.

We feel for you on the rain situation down here. We are in a moderate drought period. This ranking of the drought is based on lake levels which serve as water sources. We need rain.

I followed your link, but didn`t find what I thiought I would. I thought I would find a story about Jerry Baker America`s Master Gardner and PBS guest. I don`t know who Tim Heffron is, but it would appear that he is laying claim to the invention of the lawn tonic recipe. It sounds very similar (if not identical) to a tonic that Mr. Baker has touted for years.

As for the tonic, I can`t remember how Mr. Baker explained the reason and purpose for each component, but they were basically sound. I do not that the cola component provides sugar which feeds the micro-organisms in the soil. I definitely remember he refers to the ammonia as "lightning in a bottle" We all know that ammonia is a component in commercial synthetic (vs. organic) fertilizers. IIRC Mr. Baker suggests the soap to "cleanse" the leaf surface of the grass. I can`t recall the purposes of the mouthwash and beer, although the beer is another carb.

I would be hesitant to use soap including the mouthwash on my lawn more than once per season, if that. Soap is not beneficial to the beneficial organisms in your lawn.

If you want to "waste" beer on your lawn, at least use cheap beer or better yet, "recycle" it first A better (more cost effective and equally efficient)alternative for feeding carbs to the lawn would be to purchase liquid molasses from your garden center or farm store. You can buy molasses by the gallon or 55 gallon.

Additionally to help your landscape during periods of drought, 1) choose native plants when possible 2) water wisely 3) don`t over fertilize and do so with organic fertilizers. For your grasses if they are non-native variety, water deeply and infrequently -- apply 1" per session and those sessions should be every 7-10 days. This will help to develop a deep root system. Synthetic (and high nitrogen) based fertizers over stimulate leaf growth which stresses the plant.

That scratches the surface...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    We feel for you on the rain situation down here. We are in a moderate drought period. This ranking of the drought is based on lake levels which serve as water sources. We need rain.

I followed your link, but didn`t find what I thiought I would. I thought I would find a story about Jerry Baker America`s Master Gardner and PBS guest. I don`t know who Tim Heffron is, but it would appear that he is laying claim to the invention of the lawn tonic recipe. It sounds very similar (if not identical) to a tonic that Mr. Baker has touted for years.

As for the tonic, I can`t remember how Mr. Baker explained the reason and purpose for each component, but they were basically sound. I do not that the cola component provides sugar which feeds the micro-organisms in the soil. I definitely remember he refers to the ammonia as "lightning in a bottle" We all know that ammonia is a component in commercial synthetic (vs. organic) fertilizers. IIRC Mr. Baker suggests the soap to "cleanse" the leaf surface of the grass. I can`t recall the purposes of the mouthwash and beer, although the beer is another carb.

I would be hesitant to use soap including the mouthwash on my lawn more than once per season, if that. Soap is not beneficial to the beneficial organisms in your lawn.

If you want to "waste" beer on your lawn, at least use cheap beer or better yet, "recycle" it first A better (more cost effective and equally efficient)alternative for feeding carbs to the lawn would be to purchase liquid molasses from your garden center or farm store. You can buy molasses by the gallon or 55 gallon.

Additionally to help your landscape during periods of drought, 1) choose native plants when possible 2) water wisely 3) don`t over fertilize and do so with organic fertilizers. For your grasses if they are non-native variety, water deeply and infrequently -- apply 1" per session and those sessions should be every 7-10 days. This will help to develop a deep root system. Synthetic (and high nitrogen) based fertizers over stimulate leaf growth which stresses the plant.

That scratches the surface...
    I would also add that if you do this instead of using your foam gun you can buy the sprayer that is recommended for proper mixing for just a few dollars at Wally-World

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgm2003
    I sat on the fence for a long time on the foam gun. I`ve found it to be a very versatile/useful tool, and don`t regret buying it at all. I thought I`d use it to wash the car a few time and the novelty would wear off. IMO -it makes a BIG difference -especially on black paint.

I`ve been flushing it with a few cans of vinegar/water when I`m not using it for car washes. So far no problems.

I agree! The foam gun is an excellent tool to have in your detailing arsenal. Let`s face it! We all are striving for that perfect finish on our vehicle`s paint and it all starts with good washing habits and techniques. I use my foam gun to pre-soak the car to loosen up the dirt as well as during the washing. It works great and it`s alot of fun. It`s the closest we see to snow down here in South Florida!

After much anticipation I am proud to announce that Autogeek`s new foam gun soap is here! It looks like a blizzard! Definitely a rarity in South Fla.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...3937#post13937

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting I will try it today and let you guys know.

Thread Information