Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Review: McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic
    McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Description: (Taken from Autopia`s website)
    McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic is an easy-to-use product that will rid your vehicle of unsightly dried-on wax residue for good! This unique, gentle formula actually dissolves even the toughest wax, compound, and polish residues leaving behind nothing but a perfectly clean trim piece. McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic eliminates those unsightly white marks in less time and with less effort than you thought possible!

Nothing spoils an otherwise perfect detail like a patch of dried on wax or polish residue on plastic trim. To make matters worse, it’s always SO obvious—a big white mess on your deep black trim! Sometimes it seems like these spots pop up after EVERY detail, even when you’ve meticulously taped off and protect what seemed like everything! Even the pros will see a white spot every now and again, and that’s where McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic comes in handy.

Whether it’s on plastic, rubber, or vinyl a splatter or smear of your compound, polish, or wax can sully an otherwise perfect detail. Don’t let that happen again! Keep a bottle of McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic on hand at all times and any detailing missteps will be quickly resolved—err—dissolved! A quick spritz of McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic followed by a little agitation with a brush or towel will COMPLETELY eliminate the residue. That’s right, there won’t be even the hint of a faint stain to remind you of the time you bumped your buffing pad into the trim! And just in case you overdo it with McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic, the formula is clear coat safe, so you can safely wipe away any accidental overspray.

Price:

$14.99 for 8oz (on sale for $12.99)
    $24.99 for 16oz (on sale for $19.99)

Introduction:

This review will be short and sweet. I just want to showcase how well this product works. I was skeptical when I first saw this product because I thought it was just another APC. But boy I was wrong.

Review:

Here`s a picture of the product description and instructions:

For this review, I wanted to test and see how well this product works. So I applied one of my favorite long lasting sealants to my plastic trim - Menzerna Powerlock.

Starting with a clean surface, I applied Powerlock to the side skirt and rear diffuser as shown.

Side skirt:

Rear Diffuser:

Not only did I apply it to a big area but I also applied it THICK!! I may have gone a little overboard. A few friends told me that Powerlock is a PITA to remove from plastic trim and after I heard that, I got scared. Why did I apply so much? What if the wax remover doesn`t work? Doubts set in LOL! At this point, I was just hoping this product works as advertised.

To make the test better, I let the LSP bake in the hot AZ sun for more than a week to ensure the LSP was dry and on the plastic really good. In fact, when it came time to use the wax remover, I washed the car and the LSP applied to the plastic trim didn`t budge at all.

Here`s how the LSP looked like after more than a week of baking and after washing the car:

Side Skirt:

Rear Diffuser:

I just followed the directions in the bottle.

Spray the product on the affected plastic trim:

Let the product dwell for 30 seconds (I might have waited slightly longer than that because I was taking pictures and all):

I didn`t have a nylon brush so I used the stiffest brush I have - the tuf shine tire brush. Start scrubbing the affected area. You can see flakes of the dried up LSP coming off as you brush the surface. Pretty amazing!

The picture below shows the surface after it has been brushed. I was already impressed at this point. There`s no trace of dried up LSP at all.

Wipe off the reside with a microfiber towel:

Here`s the side skirt after everything is said and done:

Looks pretty good right?? Now let`s do the same procedure on the rear diffuser.

Spray the product on the affected plastic trim and let it dwell:

Brush the affected area:

The product is clearly removing dried up LSP and you can see it flaking off:

Wipe off excess product:

Rear diffuser after:

Thoughts and Observations:

The smell of this product wasn`t bad at all. I thought it being a wax remover, it will smell like APC or degreaser. It smells pretty good actually. It has a hint of an alcohol smell to it though but not very strong.

The product dries up a little fast so you have to start brushing after 30 seconds.

I didn`t really care for the press down spray trigger of the 8oz bottle. I wish the smaller bottle came with the normal trigger sprayer like the one in the 16oz.

The product works really well and removes dried up LSP with ease. If this can remove Powerlock, I`m sure any wax will be a walk in the park.

Conclusion:

This product works extremely well as advertised. I thought this will just be another APC that doesn`t really work that well in removing excess wax residue on plastic trim but boy I was wrong. If you have caked on LSP that you have difficulty removing from plastic trim, you need to give this product a shot! You will be blown away.

Hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes Migue, 512detail, Ronkh, GearHead_1, glfnaz and 5 others liked this post
    Thanks KBsToy, Migue, Ronkh, GearHead_1, rlmccarty2000 and 3 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee`s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

As always THANKS..I have this in my arsenal ready for my next wax job...
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great short and sweet review , loved it. Seems like a nice product and I just realized and wondered.....if it removes wax from trim, will this also strip it off paint?? Unless it only removes excess dried up residue and there is still a layer of protection on the trim which would be cool because now you got durable protection on there.

What do you think Marc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    Great short and sweet review , loved it. Seems like a nice product and I just realized and wondered.....if it removes wax from trim, will this also strip it off paint?? Unless it only removes excess dried up residue and there is still a layer of protection on the trim which would be cool because now you got durable protection on there.

What do you think Marc?
    I`m not exactly sure. I don`t think it will completely remove it because you won`t be scrubbing the paint off. If you scrub it with a MF towel maybe it might compromise it a lot but I don`t think it will remove the LSP completely. But if you just get overspray on the paint and gently wipe the paint off, it may compromise it a little.

Now that depends on how old your LSP is as well. If your LSP is fresh then I don`t think it will remove it completely. Compromised yes... If your LSP is like 6 months old then I think it might remove whatever`s left of it.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review. I haven`t tried this yet, but I have it in my garage. figured it was a no brainer to buy...glad to hear it works well

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, ballsy test....................... Deliberately baking it on your car to see if it can be removed...

But thanks for the review and making me part with more $$$$
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Wow, ballsy test....................... Deliberately baking it on your car to see if it can be removed...

But thanks for the review and making me part with more $$$$
    wait? you Still use Wax? I thought you were all fancy sprays now

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

<---- Fancy

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    wait? you Still use Wax? I thought you were all fancy sprays now
    mebbe I just gotta remove OPW
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    <---- Fancy

mebbe I just gotta remove OPW
    true

hey Marc what kind of veh is that?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll add this product to my next order simply because of this review. I can imagine that a Wax Waster (think Ron) would be looking for this in the 5 gallon economy size. Not trying to be hard on The King here as he tapes everything with 6 inch borders, it`s the wax line below the 6 inch mark to which I refer. Thanks for the review Marc.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Ronkh, Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! I was planning on doing the same style test with my bottle when I get the time too
    Likes Wolfster, Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review. I bought a bottle when it was released. I was thinking of using the wax remover on all plastic prior to applying a coating or sealant. I checked with Mike Phillips and he said it would work well for this purpose. Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the wax remover.
    Thanks Marc08EX, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Can`t wait to try my bottle
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Like Ronkh said, when I got to the part where you said you left the PL on your trim in the hot AZ sun for a week, my jaw dropped, LOL
    Great review. I think you sold me a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Orders the 16oz on last order cause it was cheaper per oz should have by like Thursday or Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information