Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat

Tuf Shine
    Noticed the Tuf Shine product recently, figured I’d give it a shot so I wouldn’t have to mess with Tire Dressings that immediately disappear in the rain. Overall, good initial impressions of results, if the durability is as advertised it will have been worth the time…lotsa time, that is. Was doing 2 different tire types/brands on two cars, both of which used separate tires dressing brands in the past.

Car 1:
    2004 Corvette w/ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires. Tires purchased in May of 2012, car not really driven in rain much, previously maintained with Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. Likely applied every other week at most, from April thru November. Since car didn’t see much rain/inclement weather tires always looked pretty good.

Car 2:
    2016 Subaru WRX w/ Dunlop Sport Maxx RT Tires. Car purchased new in October 2016, realistically about 10K miles on these tires, tires mostly always dressed with Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel, at least once a week from April thru current. Daily driver so it sees all sorts of weather, rain strips the Wolfgang stuff easily, was getting tired of applying after rainstorm when, as a whole, car otherwise looked good due to coating/’sealant applied Spring 2016.

In the end, the combo of tire & dressing resulted in unique prep work/results.

From Zaino info, description of Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss
    We created Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ to solve these problems once and for all. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ is a non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment. Our unique formula contains Ultra-Gard™ UV(40) and our exclusive moisturizing and antistatic solution to prevent drying, cracking and browning. Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ helps repels dust and dirt to keep your tires looking great, longer. One application of Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ leaves an incredibly durable, water repellent, perfect looking satin finish, that`s only slightly glossy and dry to the touch.

From Wolfgang info, description of the Black Diamond Tire Gel:
    Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel consists of German super polymers, deep conditioning agents, and cutting edge protectants. This unique rubber protectant achieves spectacular results without relying on drying butyls, alcohols or petroleum distillates. No environmentally hazardous chemicals or additives go into Black Diamond Tire Gel. It is 100% biodegradable and safe on tires.

Anyway, the combo unique to each vehicle resulted in significantly varied results, but more exhaustingly, significantly different prep time/effort.

The Michelin/Zaino combo required, no kidding, about 15-20 scrubbings of the tire until (as specified in the Tuf Shine instructions) the final scrub with their tire cleaner came out white, indicating all previous dressing was removed and tire was ready for the Tuf Shine sealant application. Utilizing a combo of the Tuf Shine tire cleaner, Eagle One A2Z Wheel & Tire Cleaner (best available locally when I realized the Tuf Shine bottle wasn’t gonna make it through 8 tires) and a local detail supply house in-house tire cleaner (Professional Detailing Products). Scrubbing was done over 2 days as someone somewhere mentioned that initial cleaning resulted in more goo leaching out overnite. So off I went, Eagle One, supply house cleaner, Tuf Shine cleaner…over and over until it FINALLY came clean. Used a Chemical Guys ACC_204 Curved Tire Brush for the Eagle One and local supply house tire cleaner, then the Tuf Shine tire brush with their cleaner, hoping for clean, white foam after each ‘cycle’. Took many cycles but finally came out clean. Applied 3 coats of the Tuf Shine tire dressing, left Michelins with a pretty glossy appearance. Worth noting that previously the Michelins seemed to come out with more gloss/shine regardless of tire dressing tried.

The Dunlop/Wolfgang combo was much, much easier to scrub out, only needing around 3 ‘cycles’ of the above mentioned trio of cleaners to get the supremely satisfying white foam result. 3 coats of Tuf Shine dressing resulted in a far more subdued look with respect to gloss.

In the end, if this stuff is durable and long lasting, I’ll be happy as ‘refreshing it’ going forward will be no big deal. I’ll let the Michelins fade a bit as they are a bit glossy to me right outta the box but really happy with the more subdued ‘clean’ look of the Dunlops.

Michelins (chrome wheel) vs Dunlops

If you’re gonna try the Tuf Shine, and have been dressing your tires for awhile, I’d be sure and get more than the initial bottle of the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner although if I was just doing the 4 Dunlop/Wolfgang combo tires, the bottle in the kit likely woulda been enough. Unfortunately, ya really don’t know how hard cleaning your tires is gonna be until you start scrubbing.

I followed up the Tuf Shine w/ Gyeon Q2 Rim coating since the wheels are/were off the car(s) anyway. Having used only the WG Uber Ceramic before, with respect to coatings, the Quartz/Gyeon stuff was quite an interesting experience, due to heat in the mid-80’s with somewhat heavy humidity as well. Still have the WRX painted wheels to coat, maybe I’ll haul them in the air conditioned house and coat them on the dining room table; I’m sure that will go over well. Another plus is my Chemical Guys tire brush, with blackened bristles from previous use, now looks nearly new due to running though numerous scrubbings and ounces upon ounces of tire cleaner.

More on the Gyeon Rim later…man, how do people coat those really intricate wheels? I think the gray, painted Subaru wheels are gonna take a looooong time to get in all the narrow spaces. If anyone has any best practices for this task, I`d love to hear them. My sausage fingers are likely a bit fat to fit in some of those places on the painted Subaru wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes mjlinane, trashmanssd, Stokdgs, Jaddie liked this post
    Thanks trashmanssd, Jaddie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat

Excellent write-up!

Went through the same process with Tuf Shine a week ago on my Sonata. On the OEM Kumho tires, Tuf Shine was just so so in both looks and durability. On its Michelins, much blacker and glossier as you noted. We`ll see about the durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Michelins (chrome wheel) vs Dunlops
    More on the Gyeon Rim later…man, how do people coat those really intricate wheels? I think the gray, painted Subaru wheels are gonna take a looooong time to get in all the narrow spaces. If anyone has any best practices for this task, I`d love to hear them. My sausage fingers are likely a bit fat to fit in some of those places on the painted Subaru wheel.
    Maybe this could help with applying in the intricate areas ???

GG & CP
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Maybe this could help with applying in the intricate areas ???

GG & CP
    Hmmm...a few of those wrapped with the micro suede applicator cloth might do the trick...thanks
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can try foam paint brushes from Lowes or HD to get coating into those narrow areas. You can wrap them in suede cloth strips too.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your detailed review !

I have been using Tuf-Shine on my tires and some Clients tires for years...
    And I agree with the cleaning regimen - If you can get the tires really clean, then this product will adhere really well.
    I have found it to last for months at a time here in sunny hot california..
    All I have to do is wash the tires with car wash soap, nothing harsh, and they always come out beautiful and still have the Tuf-Shine coating on them..

If I apply another coat, it just helps build up the layers and keeps them looking fresh and dark..
    Love that they are not greasy, slimy, etc., to the touch, and get all over stuff like pretty much all the other tire coatings do..

Cannot say I have ever seen this product wash off the tires even when I lived in the very rainy Pacific Northwest..
    The Tuf-Shine Orange Applicator Sponge is absolutely perfect for applying this product.. I have probably around 20 of them because they can do so many other things too..

And that square cleaner sponge - Finally, a sponge that you can use in the kitchen that wont get nasty after awhile and grow mold, etc., and you have to throw it away ! It cleans really well in the Shop and that black surface side does not scratch anything..

As long as you rinse it out - and this is very easy to do - it seems to last forever too..
    Shoot - I didnt find the cleaner sponge at the Autopia Store... Perhaps other places still stock it..
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update after a week with Gyeon Q2 Rim and Tuf Shine:

2004 Corvette, chrome wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport tires...photo in initial post
    - After about 500 miles (no rain here in NE Ohio, just lotsa heat/humidity) decided to wash car
    - Tires with Tuf Shine - hose off, clean w/ washmitt and Uber Auto Bathe - No Change to initial application, still clean, glossy (maybe too much so), washmitt showed absolutely NO dirt after initial hose rinse
    - Wheels with Q2 Rim - Cleaned just like tires above, initial rinse with hose, went over with white wash mitt and WG Auto Bathe...pretty much no dirt transferred to wash mitt. Pretty cool.

Seems like just a rinse, light touch with wash mitt will be all that is needed to keep this stuff looking good until it starts to wear off. Interesting to see when that`ll be.

2016 Subaru WRX, painted wheels, Dunlop tires
    - Finally got to coating the wheels with Gyeon Q2 Rim, Tuf Shine applied a week ago but not mounted on car until 08/07.
    - Coating wheels went a bit better than the chrome ones, had a bit better handle on process. The Skyline Detailing Swabs noted by poster above proved invaluable when getting into the small recesses of the wheel. Was about 77 degrees, way less humidity than last week with the chrome wheels...application/dwell time after application increased to about 5 minutes or so, wipe-off much easier. Much less coating used as well, obviously getting better at it. (2) coats of Q2 Rim applied, about 2hrs apart then topped with Gyeon Cure about 4hrs after that.
    - This stuff really shines on painted wheels, especially the dark gray. Hard to tell from pic but they look to be coated in glass, very cool yet also subdued enough to look good. Much better look than when merely coated in Wolfgang Fuzion

We`ll see how the longevity is but cleanup is way, way easier than the old tire wheel cleaner, tire brush, wheel brush regimen. Tires/wheels used to really suck to clean but if this continues, tire/wheel cleaning is not even a factor anymore.

Unfortunately, a week or so before I found the Q2 Rim/Tuf Shine I got a gallon of Wolfgang Wheel Cleaner. Doh!

As an added bonus, apparently the Gyeon Cure I got to top the Q2 Rim can also be used as a maintenance coat for the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating that is on both cars. Still prefer the Kamikaze Overcoat for that duty `cuz that stuff is just flat-out, eye-popping cool but will be able to use the Cure to top coatings on paint and wheels as well if need be.

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update after 1 month+:

Tires and wheels look pretty much the same as the did upon 8nitial application. Have driven thru rain, washed weekly and everything looks and performs as it did when first applied. Both the Tuf Shine and Gyeon Rim have so far performed exactly as advertised. Cuts down car wash time significantly as now there is no "wheel cleaning` portion anymore.
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, trashmanssd thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Update after 1 month+:

Tires and wheels look pretty much the same as the did upon 8nitial application. Have driven thru rain, washed weekly and everything looks and performs as it did when first applied. Both the Tuf Shine and Gyeon Rim have so far performed exactly as advertised. Cuts down car wash time significantly as now there is no "wheel cleaning` portion anymore.
    Great report, BudgetPlan1 !

Thanks for all that excellent, detailed, info from your first experience with my Fav tire coating ever !
    It can also take 3,000 mile drives in the worst winter weather through 6 states and never miss a beat..
    Love that beautiful wheel and tire pic from your Subaru WRX..
    Dan F
    Likes trashmanssd, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what do you use to clean tires before coating? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfordisbetter View Post
    Dan, what do you use to clean tires before coating? Thanks
    My Friend -
    I used all the Tuff Shine Cleaner that came with the kit first, ( and it really worked well), and then all I had left was Meguiars APC+ which I used at 4:1 and it also worked very well.

Now, 1 thing to add - I have only used a couple of other tire dressings ever - Zaino Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss, and a private blend tire dressing made by this great Canadian guy a couple of Forums back...

As you and all of us know, the key to this TuffShine product working really well is the removal of all the existing product, let the tires dry completely, and then applying 1-3 thin coats with a little drying time inbetween and wow - it will be amazingly black, not sticky, greasy, and will NOT be gone in a couple weeks, 1st rainstorm, etc...

Since this product is not greasy, slippery, etc., it does not attract and hold onto dirty anyway, so carwash day is so much simpler ! I just use the last of the car wash soap, a TuffShine tire brush, a longer brush for the inner wheels (which are coated so they are never dirty anyway), and I am done really quick..

And after everything is dry, if you want to add another layer, use the Excellent TuffShine little orange very tightcell foam sponge and you will be done..
    Their little orange foam sponge is so tight that you have to be careful when you put the TuffShine clearcoat on it, as it will immediately run right off and not be absorbed easily at all..
    I found that if I just put a few drops on it, and massge them lightly into the sponge, it will then be ok..

The sponge is very strong and can take abuse from more rugged tire tread edges like on trucks, etc., and does not break down, shred, or leave stuff all over your work..

All that is needed if you want the sponge to last a long time, is to rinse it out after the work and let it dry.. TUF SHINE Pro Series Applicator Sponge
    Dan F
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter, The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to order a few of those sponges, but they are out of stock, hopefully they bring them back eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I was going to order a few of those sponges, but they are out of stock, hopefully they bring them back eventually.
    Migue -
    Sorry they are out of stock..
    Another site that has them goes by DI..
    Perhaps the Geek has them??
    That same sponge with a suede cloth from carpro, was what I used to coat my car a few weeks ago and it went perfectly..
    They are just the right size for applying tire dressing and applying something like a coating, etc...
    I always buy a dozen, half-dozen with every order because they are so inexpensive...
    Hey, maybe that is why they are out of stock??
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

yeah probably, i wanted to add them to my last large Order, but it`ll have to wait until next time for now. I still got my LC Applicators just in case i need to apply a coating again in the meanwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Update after 1 month+:

Thanks for the feedback. Once I am out of DP Tire Coating I am going to try Tuf Shine. Coated wheels and tires on a personal vehicle is the way to go. Very little maintenance as you have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    My Friend -
    I used all the Tuff Shine Cleaner that came with the kit first, ( and it really worked well), and then all I had left was Meguiars APC+ which I used at 4:1 and it also worked very well.

Now, 1 thing to add - I have only used a couple of other tire dressings ever - Zaino Z16 Perfect Tire Gloss, and a private blend tire dressing made by this great Canadian guy a couple of Forums back...

As you and all of us know, the key to this TuffShine product working really well is the removal of all the existing product, let the tires dry completely, and then applying 1-3 thin coats with a little drying time inbetween and wow - it will be amazingly black, not sticky, greasy, and will NOT be gone in a couple weeks, 1st rainstorm, etc...

Since this product is not greasy, slippery, etc., it does not attract and hold onto dirty anyway, so carwash day is so much simpler ! I just use the last of the car wash soap, a TuffShine tire brush, a longer brush for the inner wheels (which are coated so they are never dirty anyway), and I am done really quick..

And after everything is dry, if you want to add another layer, use the Excellent TuffShine little orange very tightcell foam sponge and you will be done..
    Their little orange foam sponge is so tight that you have to be careful when you put the TuffShine clearcoat on it, as it will immediately run right off and not be absorbed easily at all..
    I found that if I just put a few drops on it, and massge them lightly into the sponge, it will then be ok..

The sponge is very strong and can take abuse from more rugged tire tread edges like on trucks, etc., and does not break down, shred, or leave stuff all over your work..

All that is needed if you want the sponge to last a long time, is to rinse it out after the work and let it dry.. TUF SHINE Pro Series Applicator Sponge
    Dan F
    Dan thanks for this information. Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner is great stuff. I just picked up a gallon from DI for cheap a few weeks ago during a wheel and tire product sale. I also picked up the applicator. Going to try it with DP Tire Coating to compare it to the carrand tire brush.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Thread Information