Post Thanks / Like

Review Optimum Opti Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti Glass Clean and Protect

Well I was not planning to do a review on Opti-Glass coating but forum member rookiez asked me about doing one. There is an included bonus with Opti-Glass Clean & Protect.

Both products can be found on Autopia. Paint Prep is available in a gloss coat kit on Autopia and is available individually at Autogeek. Hopefully this changes and it becomes available on Autopia as well.

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating

Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect 17 oz.

The test subject for Opti-Glass Coating is my dad`s 2015 Impala LTZ. The windshield is the only thing that is currently coated. This was my test area. I will eventually coat the rest of the glass.

This was the process I used:

-Washed with Meguiar`s D114 rinesless wash
    -Clayed with Meguiar`s M34 and a clay magic clay bar
    -Used Optimum Paint Prep to remove any clay lube residue and to prep the glass for maximum performance
    -Applied one coat of Opti-Glass Coating.

Opti-Glass Coating:

I found this to be easy to work with. I followed the directions right on the bottle. Directions you say? That`s blasphemous lol. The directions state to let it sit on the glass for 2 minutes and then remove. I did just that. It was easy to remove. I did not have to struggle with wiping it off. I could feel the slickness left behind.

I did use a spare blue foam applicator that comes with Optimum Gloss Coat. I primed the pad with 2 sprays. I applied a spray of product and worked in small sections. It did flash a bit quickly but I was working outside in the shade. I found the Gloss Coat applicator to be to grabby. I had to use more product a bit sooner than I liked. Next time I will try a suede applicator to compare it to the foam applicator.

It does cost more coming in at $70 for 60cc`s (roughly 2 oz`s). So some might be turned off by it based on the price. Optimum claims "up to 1 year" of longevity. I will be leaving this on the glass for the long term and compare it against DP Glass Coating which I have previously used. My longevity may be longer than others since I am in Southern California which is still in a drought. So who knows when the rain will come. So this means that there will be limited abrasion by the wiper blades.

The following day I washed the car and caught the performance of the product.

Me pouring water from a bottle.

https://vimeo.com/172369436

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Angus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review Optimum Opti Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti-Glass Clean and Protect

Opti-Glass Continued:

During the wash process being blasted with water from my foam gun nozzle.

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review Optimum Opti Glass Coating, Optimum Paint Prep and Opti-Glass Clean and Protect

Optimum Paint Prep:

This is not available through Autopia just yet as an individual item. It does come in the gloss coat kit. I purchased this with one of the gloss coat kits on a previous order. Hopefully it becomes available as an individual item.

So this is Optimum`s paint prep product. Similar to CarPro offering Eraser. Nothing new here other than using it to prep the surface for a coating. It does mention on the rear of the bottle that it contains no surfactants. That is a good thing. It means it will not interfere with the coating bonding to the paint. Some have said that Eraser leaves surfactants and some have said it doesn`t. Optimum clearly states that on the bottle.

One thing I did notice is that it`s scent it rather potent. Unlike Eraser which has a nice scent to it. Optimum smells a lot more like IPA. Other than that I had no issues using it. It`s a great product for those that enjoy the Optimum synergy.

Opti-Glass Clean & Protect:

This is a bonus. I have DP Glass Coating on all the glass of my Camaro. I washed up my Camaro and followed up with Opti-Clean & Protect once everything was dried.

I used it with a waffle weave towel from The Rag Company. Both worked great together.

I had no issues using this. I used it to remove any remaining water that was on the glass after using the DP Turbo Dryer to remove most of the water from the surface. I found it to work effortlessly in that effort. I can not say how this would perform on a surface that has light dust or dirt on it. That will have to wait for a future use. It did do a good job cleaning the surface. I did notice some slickness after using it on all the glass.

This would make a nice maintenance type product (aka booster) for a glass coating such Opti-Glass Coating or other glass coatings.

Here one can see the left over water that was on the glass after using the DP Turbo Dryer. I left it on the glass longer as I was wiping down the paint with some detail spray. It allowed me to test the effectiveness of the product on these becoming water spots. No issues removing them.

Before

After

Completely removed from the glass and leaving behind a slick surface.

All optimum products performed excellent. All were easy to use. I will post back some updates on the glass coating.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool review ! Thanks Mike

If it works well with bugs, I may have to get some.

Can you drive through some bug infested woods or something and post a clean up vid???
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Mike!!!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post

If it works well with bugs, I may have to get some.

Can you drive through some bug infested woods or something and post a clean up vid???
    I`ll get right on it. I will put this as the #1 priority . So glad I live an area without bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great review as always Mike!!!
    Thanks.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I`ll get right on it. I will put this as the #1 priority . So glad I live an area without bugs.

Ca no got bugs ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh well, then liberal politicians will have to do.

Hope they "buff out" easy for you.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Marc08EX, The Guz, 512detail, mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So this is Optimum`s paint prep product. Similar to CarPro offering Eraser. Nothing new here other than using it to prep the surface for a coating. It does mention on the rear of the bottle that it contains no surfactants. That is a good thing. It means it will not interfere with the coating bonding to the paint. Some have said that Eraser leaves surfactants and some have said it doesn`t. Optimum clearly states that on the bottle.
    I dont like quoting people but this little nugget of info seems isnt being shared much, found on the opt. forum under coatings

Paint prep is a final inspection wipe that doesn`t need to be rinsed. It also contains the same catalyst that Primer Polish has, so it will help with coating leveling and bonding. Whereas Power Clean would inhibit bonding if not rinsed away.

Paint Prep is a good idea prior to any LSP, albeit OCW, Opti Seal, Gloss-Coat®, Opti-Coat®, etc.
    I still dont have any but this sets it apart from eraser imo.

I also have had an extremely positive experience with the glass coating by optimum. I switched to the suede MF with applicator and keep spritzing and applying until it was smooth.

I polished my glass with ceri glass and used eraser and it seems to be doing fine, and yes Ron, I think bugs would come right off.
    Likes Ronkh, The Guz, Stokdgs, XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I had 1 splatted bug on my windshield a couple hours ago and it came off with the hose.

Is gloss coat like this too? And like this i mean amazing

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using OPT glass clean/protect for over three years on my SRT windshield.. it beads like CRAZY and i forget it is not actually fully coated

Brandt K.
    Likes The Guz, JBM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!

Opti-glass has always worked amazing for me. It lasted 16 months or so on my previous car

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review! Three products I have yet to try from OPT and I definitely need to.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Use the Optimum Glass and Protect and find it lacking in cleaning/anti-streaking, so use it as booster only. Got almost 9 months out of the first application. Only reason I re-applied was had some small chips to remove. This took the previous coating off.

Thread Information