Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Grit Guard Dolly and Autopia Bucket

Review: Grit Guard Dolly and Autopia Bucket
    5 Gallon Wash Bucket System with Dolly - CLEAR

Price:
    $39.99 for the dolly
    $12.99 for the bucket but can be had with different packages
    $59.99 for the bucket, dolly, grit guard and gamma seal lid.

Introduction:

Washing your car is a basic step in every detailing procedure. When washing your car the traditional way, you`d ideally use 2 buckets. One filled with water to rinse off your wash mitt and the other filled with the soap solution. Don`t you just hate dragging these heavy buckets around when washing the car? It`s very heavy and cumbersome. This also applies for people who do rinseless washing using the 2 bucket method.

What if I told you there`s an easier way to move your buckets around while washing your car? Introducing the Grit Guard Bucket Dolly!

The Review:

I wasn`t really planning to review this product because it`s such a simple product. But I was extremely happy with the quality of this product and how much it helps in the car washing process. The main reason for doing this review is to compare it to my old and cheaper setup. Back when I first started detailing, I didn`t really have much money to buy all the detailing products I wanted (well even until now hahaha!). I really wanted to buy a dolly because dragging 2 buckets around the car was just too much unnecessary work. It was heavy, cumbersome and makes your body contort into awkward positions. This was my old setup.. It`s the US plastics pail cruizer:

Back then, that dolly was $25 and now, the price is at $30. That pail cruizer is so flimsy and the quality is crap compared to the grit guard dolly as you`ll see below.

Here`s how the dolly looks like:

The dolly itself looks very sturdy and seems to be made with very high quality standards.

Here`s how the bottom of the dolly looks like:

As you can see, the dolly has some structural reinforcements to make the dolly hold heavy loads. Also, the wheels included look very durable. 2 out of the 5 wheels have locking mechanisms to stop the dolly from rolling. The pail cruizer only has 3 wheels as opposed to the grit guard which has 5. The larger number of wheels increases the stability.

Here`s a picture of the adjustable screws that hold the bucket in place:

This allows a wide range of buckets to be used in the dolly. Product description says 3 to 7 gallon buckets could be used.

Since I`m doing already this review, I decided to review the Autopia bucket that I ordered as well.

Back then, I didn`t want to spend unnecessarily because of reasons mentioned above. To me, a bucket is a bucket so why spend more right? The Home Depot 5 gallon bucket can be had for $3 so why get a more expensive one that accomplishes the same thing right?

The main problem I had with my home depot bucket was that my grit guard was loose when sitting at the bottom of the bucket. You can jiggle it about or rotate it. So when agitating my wash mitt against the grit guard, the grit guard itself was moving as well. I always wondered whether the dirt particles that`s supposed to drop to the bottom of the bucket are really staying there. I thought that the grit guard fins are swirling the dirt around and preventing them from staying at the bottom. I tried to capture how loose my grit guard is in the home depot bucket but I`m not sure if you can really see it:

When I received my Autopia bucket, I tested whether the grit guard was snug at the bottom of the Autopia bucket. And I was surprised IT WAS!!! The grit guard wasn`t moving AT ALL when installed at the bottom of the Autopia bucket. I was blown away! This is the way it should be. Now, I`ll be more confident that the dirt particles will more likely stay at the bottom as opposed to when the grit guard is jiggling about.

I also didn`t know that the Autopia bucket has some gallon markers!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! When I was using my home depot bucket for rinseless washing, I had to measure how many gallons I had in the bucket by using a gallon water jug. It was inconvenient. With the Autopia bucket, you just had to fill up the bucket and look at the side to see whether you have the right amount of water.

Conclusion:

If you`re thinking about a way to make your car wash procedure more convenient, please take a look at the Grit Guard bucket dollies or the Grit Guard 2 bucket wash systems or the buckets sold here in Autopia. Do not try to get the cheaper versions elsewhere. They are cheaper for a reason and you`ll only regret that decision later on. Been there, done that. The Grit Guard bucket dolly is made with high quality materials and seems to be very strong and sturdy. You will not be disappointed. And most importantly, it`s proudly made in the U.S.A.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team
    Likes 512detail, Ronkh, The Guz, Swanicyouth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Grit Guard Dolly and Autopia Bucket

thanks for the review. that`s on my wants list (maybe if there was a good sale I`d pick it up)

as to the bucket, I agree..my chepo lowes buckets suck..so I found the Food Grade buckets (about double the price) and they work perfectly (been using one for 5 months and hasn`t cracked on the bottom like the cheapo lowes blue ones do after about a month or two

are those stoppers on the wheels? I wish I had those on my rolling stool

Brandt K.
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    thanks for the review. that`s on my wants list (maybe if there was a good sale I`d pick it up)

as to the bucket, I agree..my chepo lowes buckets suck..so I found the Food Grade buckets (about double the price) and they work perfectly (been using one for 5 months and hasn`t cracked on the bottom like the cheapo lowes blue ones do after about a month or two

are those stoppers on the wheels? I wish I had those on my rolling stool
    My pleasure Brandt!

Yeah, 2 wheels out of the 5 have the locking mechanism to stop the dolly from rolling around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    My pleasure Brandt!

Yeah, 2 wheels out of the 5 have the locking mechanism to stop the dolly from rolling around.
    do you think those locking mechanisms are available at lowes, etc.? I really need at least one locking wheel on my stool..it almost rolled into my car last week

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

do you think those locking mechanisms are available at lowes, etc.? I really need at least one locking wheel on my stool..it almost rolled into my car last week
    I think they would but you need to bring your old wheel to make sure it has the same mounting rod diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they would but you need to bring your old wheel to make sure it has the same mounting rod diameter.
    I planned on just riding the stool in there, haha
    Kidding

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they have a lot of these in the warehouse....how about a Vega deal or adding this to Connect (maybe with an ACC sticker too!)

obviously we`d need two buckets and the connector and two dollies

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool review. Now ya need the foam seat cover for it.

Yes the do make it.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they have a lot of these in the warehouse....how about a Vega deal or adding this to Connect (maybe with an ACC sticker too!)

obviously we`d need two buckets and the connector and two dollies
    Man that would be awesome for connect members!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Cool review. Now ya need the foam seat cover for it.

Yes the do make it.
    Thanks for the recommendation Ron! Will purchase that in the future.

I bought the $50 washboard bucket kit. I honestly thought that this included the gamma seal lid. I was bummed it wasn`t included in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    thanks for the review
    My pleasure! Hope you enjoyed it.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

you can get that gamma lid locally anyways

grit guard and wash board..not so much

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

you can get that gamma lid locally anyways

grit guard and wash board..not so much
    Are you talking about the ones from Home Depot? If so, they don`t have the rubber seal on the lid.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the ones from Home Depot? If so, they don`t have the rubber seal on the lid.
    I never realized that..doesn`t seem to be much of an issue for the three I have

maybe im missing out

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the similar set up although I purchased the parts online long before I found this place.

Drill several small holes in the base of the dolly as water builds up there and a moldy mess forms under the wet buckets. After I cleaned that gross mess 1x I drilled about 5 random holes like a dice 5 and it works. Lastly I bought the Hama seal lids. Same thing. Unless you plan on drying your bucket and grit guards you will get a mildew mess. I now use my gama seals on buckets that hold extra mf towels when clean.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review, got 3 of the buckets and one of the Dolly`s from work which I sell.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information