Post Thanks / Like

Shine Supply Daddy-O Paint Sealant Review

When I said I begin doing reviews again, you didn`t think it was this many, huh? Sorry if I`m annoying with all I`m posting I just have a lot of products I want to review. I will be in the process of transferring to video reviews soon, as well. Now, onto the review with on of the hardest categories to please me--paint sealants.

Background on Car:
    It is my 2011 BMW 328i in Black Sapphire Metallic. I keep this thing spotless and swirl free as much as I can. This paint is extremely finicky to work with and it very soft, so keeping it scratch free can be a challenge. This car always has a sealant as the protection on it (haven`t gotten into coatings yet), and most of the time I top off the sealant with a paste wax. This particular time, I didn`t because I wanted to do the review on the sealant and the paste wax separately (coming soon lol).

Product Info/ Price/ Scent:
    This product is only available from Shine Supply`s website. I have met the founder of Shine Supply personally and can say with confidence he is one of the most humble, down to earth guys ever. He likes to keep is products small and not go through every big retailer in the world. This paint sealant is resin based and does contain polymers. It retails for $28 for 16oz which is a very competitive price for sealants. The color of the product is white and a traditional sealant consistency, pretty thick. The scent is a solvent smell, no added scent to it, however the solvent aroma isn`t that strong.

On the back of this bottle it says to let the sealant sit for a minimum of 1 hour. They reformulated the product so it bonds faster and only requires 20 min. I checked with Jeremy and this is a new formulation with the old label, so 20 min it is.

Application:
    The manufacturer recommends applying the product by Dual Action polisher, however I wanted to test it by hand. I have used the dual action polisher method before and it lays down a very thin coat and works it into the surface more. I primed my applicator pad with a shot of Meg`s Last Touch Spray Detailer, and then added a few dots to the pad. The product does take a little effort to spread (like most sealants), but it is definitely not hard to spread. It just has that synthetic feel instead of a natural carnauba wax that spreads very easily. The ease of spreading is not a factor when you use it with a DA. I then allowed the formula to cure for about 40 min in my garage. It was late at night and was quite humid in the garage, so I gave it a little extra time.

Daddy-O curing on my paint

I also applied Daddy-O to my wheels. These are OEM BMW wheels that are painted a metallic silver and then clearcoated. The sealant worked fantastically on the wheels, as well. It won`t last quite as long on the wheels due to the high head and brake dust, but it should keep your wheels much cleaner for longer.

Removal:
    I removed the product with my purple wax/ sealant removal towels. These are from TRC and are the Spectrum 420( 420 GSM). Removal wasn`t easy, but it wasn`t that difficult either. Sealants are always pretty difficult to remove from my experience because they are synthetic and bond to the paint. This was definitely harder to remove than Menzerna PowerLock, but it was about the same as other sealants on the market. It removed cleanly and did not streak or powder. In areas where you apply too much product, it does tend to shadow a little bit, but this goes away with a damp towel or some waterless wash. This is also not a problem when applying by machine (like it says to) because you get a thin, uniform coat.

Shine:
    I don`t like a lot of sealants on the market because they have that synthetic look to them and just don`t look as good as a wax. However, this product leaves the paint slick, and gives lots of depth and gloss. Now the paint of this was polished right before applying the sealant, but still added some great shine to the paint.

Protection:
    I could really care less about application and removal if the sealant protects the car well. Now, I`ve been using this sealant to protect my car for about a year and a half. It is my go to simply because the protection left behind is amazing. You only have to apply one coat of the product (actually don`t apply more than one ever because the product can`t bond to itself chemically). I did one coat on my car last summer and it lasted up until I stripped it a few weeks ago. NO JOKE. 1 WHOLE YEAR. Now obviously, this takes proper maintenance, but I`m going to assume that if you are on a detailing forum, that you maintain your car properly. You can top this sealant with paste wax or an express sealant, but honestly it is not necessary. I`ve tried lots of sealants and the most I could get out of them was 5-6 months, which is ok, but not great. I like having the peace of mind that if this sealant lasts a full year, on the microscopic level it is blocking UV rays, environmental contamination, etc. Here are some videos I put together of the water behavior of the sealant after being on the paint for 1 week.

Final Results:
    Overall, I love this sealant. It is fairly easy to apply and remove, gives an incredible look, and provides unbeatable protection. The price is also competitively priced. Overall, I love it and it is the only sealant I will be using on my cars for quite some time.

Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes The Guz, vanev liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shine Supply Daddy-O Paint Sealant Review

Here is the video of Daddy-O on wheels!

Michael Daboll
    Aspire Premier Auto Detailing

-2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo R Spec 6 Speed Manual (Daily Driver Boston)
    -2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 Speed Auto (Daily Driver San Diego)
    -1981 Datsun 280zx 5 Speed Manual (Autocross/ Track/ Project Car)
    -1991 Cadillac Deville 4 Speed Auto (Ex-Boston Daily Driver turned project due to rust)
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good feedback from this line lately. Thanks for the review, it was well done. Car looks great. Might have to tey this on a vehicle sometime. My favorite sealant that I have used so far is the PA Master Sealant, it has a great, wet look more like a wax imo.
    Likes m54daboll liked this post
    Thanks Swanicyouth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!
    Likes m54daboll liked this post

Thread Information