Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: 3D AAT Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish

Review: 3D AAT Rubbing Compound & Finishing Polish

Introduction:

As mentioned in a different thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...ml#post2046292), the Stig sent me some products to review. These are the first two Im setting fingers to keyboard for.

Thanks again to Corey for providing the format.

Products

Product Claims:

From Autopia Car Care site - 3D AAT Rubbing Compound 8 oz

"3D AAT Rubbing Compound is an advanced formula that wipes out unsightly imperfections leaving your vehicle’s paint looking smooth and glossy. This body shop safe formula takes on the toughest paint defect out there – 1200 girt sanding marks, swirls, scratches, and more – without leaving dull haze behind. That’s right, 3D AAT Rubbing Compound tackles the tough stuff, yet still finishes like a fine cut polish – or better!

If you’ve ever had to remove 1200 grit sanding marks, you’re well aware that the traditional technique includes multiple steps before the paint’s gloss even begins to reemerge. That’s not the case with 3D AAT Rubbing Compound. Adaptive Abrasive Technology (AAT) offers incredible cut, without sacrificing finish!

The long buffing cycle of 3D AAT Rubbing Compound makes it easy to work with. Even if you need to make a couple of more passes once the compound starts to dry, the waterborne formula can be reactivated with a mist of water, giving you time for those additional passes without adding more compound to the pad. After buffing, you’ll appreciate the easy wipe off, and beautiful results.

Use 3D AAT Rubbing Compound with your favorite rotary or dual action polisher equipped with the appropriate foam, wool, or microfiber pad of your choice."

And - 3D AAT Finishing Polish 8 oz

"3D AAT Finishing Polish is a fine finishing polish that will leave your paint looking smooth, glossy, and defect-free. This body shop safe formula contains no fillers and easily erases light swirl marks and haze leaving nothing but a flawless finish behind. 3D AAT Finishing Polish is so easy to work with, it will quickly become your favorite!

If you’ve ever polished a vehicle with soft paint, than you’re well aware of how challenging it can be to achieve a prefect finish on such a finicky surface. And extremely hard paint systems are no picnic either! 3D AAT Finishing Polish contains Adaptive Abrasive Technology (AAT) making it perfect for use on all paint systems – hard and soft – providing awesome results every time!

3D AAT Finishing Polish provides incredible results, and 3D is so confident they’re willing to state that 3D AAT Finishing Polish can finish hologram free when used with a soft foam finishing pad on a rotary polisher! Once you’ve polished the finish to perfection, don’t worry about cleanup because 3D AAT Finishing Polish wipes off easily, leaving nothing behind but a mirror finish – not streaks, smears, or gunky buildup on your microfiber either! 3D AAT Finishing Polish makes it easy to achieve breathtaking results!"

Details:

1.- Packaging: Plastic squeeze
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled
    3.- Viscosity: Thick
    4.- Color: Compound - white, Polish - yellow
    5.- Scent: Compound - none really, Polish - sweet
    6.- Dilution: N/A
    7.- Price at time of review: Compound - $19.99 8oz, Polish - $19.99 NOTE - both are currently on sale for $17.99
    8.- Manufacturer: 3D
    9.- Made in: USA

Other Products Used:

Compound - Griots Garage BOSS G21 + GG Orange BOSS pad & RUPES Mini + 4" Orange
    Polish - RUPES Duetto + LC 5.5" Cool Wave White
    Grit Guard Pad Washer
    ONR
    MF

Test vehicle:

2010 VW Passat in Mocha Anthracite Metallic. 120K+ miles. Light swirls. Hard paint.

Preparation:

Deconed with my normal process (How Mike washes a car) Using CG CW + OPC, Carpro IronX Snow Soap and Speedy Prep Pad + ONR (clay lube dilution).

Application:

Machine applied. Wash pad in pad washer + ONR. 3-4 pea-sized dots. Work it in a 2x2 area. Wipe with a clean MF. Rinse and repeat.

Observations:

Compound - Freaking amazing stuff. Typically, to remove swirls in VW paint generally takes rather aggressive stuff - maybe Megs M100 or M101 on MF or the like. Here, 3D AAT Rubbing Compound was magic - on an orange pads, no less. No exaggeration, 1 spreading pass, 1 right-left super-slow-mo pass and 1 up-down super-slo-mo pass. Thats it. Swirls gone. Easy wipe off. Will dust if overworked so dont. You dont need to. Keep pad very clean. Working time isnt long but you dont need it. Note - could be related to the ONR but who cares? You dont need it. Finishes pretty much LSP ready on hard VW paint. Part of the reason I was able to do a full 2-step polish in about 4 hours was this step works super fast.

Polish - Nice sweet scent. Spreads far. Long working time. Not super easy but pretty easy wipe off - seemed to take one wipe to pick up the oily stuff and then another to get the residue, which came absolutely clean. (Most polishes seem to do the reverse where I pick up most with the first wipe and then chase an oily film for a while.) Adds gloss. Will update when I have a car with softer paint.

Video of results

Does it meet its claims? Except for the long working time on the compound, yes. Did not try to extend with water because didnt feel I needed to and the shorter time could have been related to the ONR.

Pros (Compound):

1.- Fantastic, fast acting cut
    2.- Excellent finish
    3.- Easy wipe off
    4.- Isnt exactly cheap but, for what it does, it is a bargain.

??? (Compound):

1.- None.

Cons (Compound):

1.- I only have 8oz.

Pros (Polish):

1.- Excellent finish
    2.- Pretty easy wipe off.

??? (Polish):

1.- None.

Cons (Polish):

1.- None.

Final Observations and Summary:

I absolutely loved 3D AAT Rubbing Compound. Ive had good results with some other heavy cut compounds (10s on the Autopia Chart - Megs M101 & M105, Menz FG400) but this one worked so fast and so easy - on an ORANGE PAD - that Im not sure I will want to use anything else. (I will because a still have a goodly amount of those others but wont be that happy about it. ) Actually, like most things in life, Im sure there will be paints when M101 or FG400 will work better. Havent tried on an MF pad yet but can only imagine.

I liked 3D AAT Finishing Polish. If that sounds restrained, it is only because of how fantastic the Rubbing Compound was. As noted above, think will need a softer paint to determine if it is as great in its own way as the Rubbing Compound.

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks mnehls86, donbeezy, David Fermani thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D AAT Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish

Yep the compound is amazing stuff. Cant believe how fast it cuts.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice review.. still yet to try any of the little samples I have received in the past of those twins

Brandt K.
    Thanks mjlinane thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    ...that Im not sure I will want to use anything else. (I will because a still have a goodly amount of those others but wont be that happy about it. )
    I like that part. Its funny, and its true. I can relate.

Cool review. Ive only seen part of the video but results look good so far. My set is on the way, and I hope I have good results like you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Hoping I just got a bad bottle of the compound as it was a nightmare to remove no matter what I did. Sounds like you had the exact opposite experience
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes mjlinane, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a dumb question, but why is it called "rubbing" compound? Dont you rub all compounds? I remember my first "rubbing" compound being a 3m product. Why dont they just call it a compound polish? Tradition?
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but why is it called "rubbing" compound? Dont you rub all compounds? I remember my first "rubbing" compound being a 3m product. Why dont they just call it a compound polish? Tradition?
    I think just to help further differentiate the name from HD cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Yeah, threw me off, too. I always thought of "rubbing compound" being more for hand applied and was shying away from this product as such. Guess is just another example of names not being standardized in the detailing product world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Nice review. Hoping I just got a bad bottle of the compound as it was a nightmare to remove no matter what I did. Sounds like you had the exact opposite experience
    Same thing happened to me ! Thinking I over worked it after reading this review ? I ll try again I just got 32oz. bottles..Honestly this stuff just ticked me off!!

Post Thanks / Like

soft paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Same thing happened to me ! Thinking I over worked it after reading this review ? I ll try again I just got 32oz. bottles..Honestly this stuff just ticked me off!!
    First things that come to mind:

NOTE - this is based on MY technique for polishing with long throw DA machines (and even non-long throw DA) which is not exactly the same as typically found in instructional videos. It works for me. YMMV.

1. Using too much product. 3-4 very small dots is all you need. You should almost literally not see any product after your first working pass.
    1a. Do not prime foam pads. I get that you dont want to dry buff but you can combat that other ways. On this vehicle, I started by washing the pad in ONR and dampened as necessary with ONR. Whenever Ive tried priming foam pads, I normally get sling and do have more trouble removing the excess product from the paint. Also think that is why other folks use more pads than I do.
    FWIW - I do (sometimes) prime MF pads because their properties are different - but not always.
    2. Overworking the product. If you see it start to dry and dust, you went too long. In this case, mist with water to continue polishing if you must or do a couple of no-pressure passes to loosen it up for easier removal.
    3. Slow your arm speed. No, more. No, way more. I get best cut and best finish with really, really slow arm speed. BIG FLAMING NOTE - NOT FOR ROTARY POLISHERS!!
    4. Lighten up on the pressure - ESPECIALLY WITH MF and Surbuf pads. Need more cut? Go slower.
    5. Per the podcast, try ONR with your polish removal towel. I did this at first but found I didnt need with this product.

Giving away the last of my super secret (ha!) technique here: as mentioned, I started by washing the pad and re-washed every 2 panels or so. After washing, I set down that polisher and picked up a second with a different pad and product to do a different step. Compounded with BOSS 21 + AAT Compound and then went over same area with Duetto + AAT Finishing Polish and then went to new area with the BOSS. By hopscotching around the car like this, I allowed the pad to dry a little and pad & machine to cool.

Lots of ONR going on when I used this product. Did that contribute positively to my results with the product? Maybe.

The things I do for this forum....
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of picking up the compound.. Worth the extra cost over hd cut+?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Mike!!! Youre making me want to try these products.

How do you wash the pads while hopscotching? Do you wash them normally with hot water thus saturating it? What are your methods in drying it?

The reason I ask is because it seems I get premature pad failures whenever theres a tiny hint of water moisture in the pad. Im thinking the heat from the machine/BP is cooking the Velcro adhesive and the moisture content accelerates this process.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04accord View Post
    Thinking of picking up the compound.. Worth the extra cost over hd cut+?
    Havent tried HD Cut yet (Have but havent tried.) Based on the Autopia Polish chart, would expect AAT Rubbing Compound to have a good bit more cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great review as always Mike!!! Youre making me want to try these products.

How do you wash the pads while hopscotching? Do you wash them normally with hot water thus saturating it? What are your methods in drying it?

The reason I ask is because it seems I get premature pad failures whenever theres a tiny hint of water moisture in the pad. Im thinking the heat from the machine/BP is cooking the Velcro adhesive and the moisture content accelerates this process.
    Thanks Marc. Misted the pad with ONR (256:1) and used the Grit Guard Pad Washer. I did not pump solution into the pad - just let the solution splash up from the polisher motion. Spun on 6 to "dry". After letting sit for the 2 panels, the pads were pretty dry. I actually remisted with ONR before using again.

Guessing you could come pretty close with just a mister and a Grit Guard.

Also goes to my advice on not priming the pad or using too much polish and cleaning often. Dont need to get as wet to clean. Corollary - they dry faster when not as wet, too.

Heat does kill pads. The leapfrogging definitely kept the temps down. Obviously, requires more polishers though.
    Likes grungy liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike!

I guess the GG pad washer doesnt really saturate the pad all the way up to the Velcro backing.

Do you use a rotary to clean the pad and spin them dry?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information