Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

The control test for me at least is to *do jean dye transfer* and see what happens with the CQL on it.

Re: the beading comment...
    I don`t *condition leather* like some may do in the auto detailing mentality. Technically, you p1ssing product down the drain as the coated leather does not take in product. Now, I am in agreement that it may penetrate and actually feed the leather on perforations, whether it be the stitching or even older leather that has wear and there are MICRO/MACRO holes in the topcoat.

With that said, IF I happen to be in the mood, I`ll just topically condition the leather just because for ~peace of mind~.
    When you have a product like CWL, that technically is just a clearcoat ontop of the already coated topleather, it`s making it one more layer tougher for said leather conditioner to work it`s way in. Well, this is just ones POV....

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see from the photos I posted the leather in the Impala is light grey. That is my dad`s daily driver. He wears jeans a majority of the time and there was or has not been any jean transfer. If it were me I would not bother testing it on a sample piece of leather and instead just use it. Let that be the test once it is applied to the seat.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

RAW denim dye is in a completely different catagory than -washed- jeans

Post Thanks / Like

I just applied the CQ Leatjer yesterday. Slight extra sheen added. Subjective to ones eyes I suppose.

Is it just me or are there some strong cleaners as part of it ? The product is clear.
    Prior to applying, I did clean all seats and my MF`s were *clean* as part of my final wipe/rinse process on seats.

I noticed the white applications during application was pulling dirt or something off the seats as the white suede MF`s was turning dark.
    Slight strong solvent smell to it as well.
    I thought I was going crazy so I switched up to another white suede MF applicator, and still, as I applied, the applicator went from white to dirty.....brownish.

Weird or am I crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the seats were not cleaned very well. Or the solvents in the product were lifting the residue that was still left on the seat.

I have not experienced this so I can not say.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. So your white suede applicators remained white.

I was kinda surprised that the CQ L smelled that ~solventy~. Kinda like Reload, which does have a strong smell....but CQL was stronger.

In all fairness, the only seat I used with a brush to scrub, was just the drivers side on affected areas prior to application.
    The rest of seats just got a water wipedown.

Regardless, I was expecting CQL to be strictly a ~topper~ and woudn`t expect solvents/cleaners/etc in it (if there are) to remove residue, etc.

Does your CQL have a ~strong smell~ to it ?

Post Thanks / Like

You have one of the newer kits that comes with the white suede`s. Mine came with the orange suede`s. But I never saw any transfer of dirt onto the orange applicator.

I did use a leather cleaner and a brush to clean the seats followed up by a damp towel.

I don`t think the coating has any cleaning ability. That is a question for Corey. I think what you are seeing is the coating liquefying whatever residue is still left on the surface thus allowing it to transfer onto the applicator. Similar to how water + agitation was removing dirt from the seats.

Yes it does have a solvent smell to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that` the thing.....

Meaning, if I had cleaned the seats priors and saw nil-none dirt transferrence, or even *cleaner dye residue*, with the X passes I did prior to CQL, AND with the preface that CQL should be just that, a topper, with no cleaners, etc in it, just kinda threw me off that I was getting some transfer of ~something~ onto the applicator.

---sure wish I kept the applicators for a pic

I did keep them for 1 day to see how hard or not the pad would be when dried. But chucked them in the trash...

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update. 2 Weeks Later....

Sheen - slightly not too crazed about the *minute* color change and slight gloss in sheen

Dye transfer was noticably easier to clean /////REMOVAL. I would say the outer outermost (where the top side bolster had a piping on the outer edge), some jean dye remains, but usual culprits that would NEED a high PH cleaner to remove, use a spritz of water and MF removed the jean dye transfer.

See my earlier comments...I was a skeptic as my measurement of gauge was not how liquids bead on it.
    Stuff works !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve applied this to a handful of my clients cars now but never had a chance to monitor how well it actually works on my own vehicle since it had cloth. The lease was about up on my old truck and I just turned it in for a new one last week but with leather this time. I had some free time last night so I applied CQuartz Leather to it, 3 coats in the front and 2 in the rear. I didn`t notice a real change in sheen on my seats, though I`m sure if I did a 50/50 there would be a very subtle difference. Pretty much all I wear is jeans so I`m excited to see how much this eases in the cleaning of the dye transfer.

Note: I did not see any color transfer to the applicator from my leather. I cleaned with LM Strong cleaner followed by a damp MF towel prior to application.

Likes The Guz, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

pfft...those are black seat there. The dye transfer will just add patina to them ;-)

I have LM strong and maybe in 6 months, I`ll do a cleaning on the bolster with that and retop the DS bottom seat. Outer bolster is the biggest culprit. It would be interesting to see if I get the same color dye on the applicator

The color transfer was really a oddball for me...as 1Z DP is strong stuff and 2-3 water rinses post cleaning, the seats in my mind were ~clean as snot~. Go figure.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    pfft...those are black seat there. The dye transfer will just add patina to them ;-)

I have LM strong and maybe in 6 months, I`ll do a cleaning on the bolster with that and retop the DS bottom seat. Outer bolster is the biggest culprit. It would be interesting to see if I get the same color dye on the applicator

The color transfer was really a oddball for me...as 1Z DP is strong stuff and 2-3 water rinses post cleaning, the seats in my mind were ~clean as snot~. Go figure.
    LOL at the patina!

I wouldn`t be surprised if the coating was able to pull some of the top coat color off, the solvent smell is very strong. So many different leathers and top coats it hard to say, but it definitely wouldn`t surprise me.

Post Thanks / Like

so I`m not the only one who noticed how strong it smells......And I thought reload smelled kinda strong. CQL was about 3X stronger in smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    so I`m not the only one who noticed how strong it smells......And I thought reload smelled kinda strong. CQL was about 3X stronger in smell.
    I wear a paint respirator when applying it and any coating for that matter.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it has a strong scent to it. Agree with Rasky on a respirator of some sort.

Gyeon Leather Shield does not have a strong scent to it like cquartz.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information