Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Back to Black Trim and Plastic Restorer Review

Since my I am almost out of my bottle of Blackfire AIO Trim Protectorant I decided to pick up a bottle of Mothers Back to Black Trim and Plastic Restorer and try and do a comparison of the two. The Mothers product is also a AIO trim cleaner/restorer but is in the lotion form as opposed to Blackfire`s spray version. However they also appear to have recently released an aerosol version. I remember using the old Mothers Back to Black back in the day and it was probably one of my least favorite trim dressing as it always appeared to run in the rain and had next to zero durability.

Mothers Back-To-Black Bumper & Trim Care restores black plastic & rubber bumpers and trim to their original black color. Care for your car`s bumper

Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer

Product Description

Mothers™ Back To Black is ideal for a variety of exterior hardware. It’s called Back To Black, but it works great on all colors of exterior trim. If it’s made of plastic or vinyl Back To Black will breath new life into it. Use Back To Black on molding, louvers, bumpers, window trim, skirts, seals, door handles, wiper arms and any exterior vinyl or plastic surfaces.Mothers™ Back To Black is ideal for a variety of exterior hardware. It’s called Back To Black, but it works great on all colors of exterior trim. If it’s made of plastic or vinyl Back To Black will breath new life into it. Use Back To Black on molding, louvers, bumpers, window trim, skirts, seals, door handles, wiper arms and any exterior vinyl or plastic surfaces.

Cost: $10.99
    12 ounces

Application and Use

1-Scent-the product has a mild chemical smell that is not overpowering.
    2-Consistency-thick lotion which made it pretty easy to apply and spread
    3-Application-I applied with a micro fiber applicator and worked into the trim on my truck (rear bumper area, mirror enclosures, and wiper cowl). The product spread easily and completely with no streaking. I would advise being careful as I did have some issues getting it on the surrounding paint and glass but this was easily removed with some QD and a micro fiber towel.
    I buffed after about 5 minutes with a clean micro fiber towel.

Pictures

Thoughts

1. The Mothers Trim and Plastic Restorer was very easy to apply and gave the trim and plastics on my truck a very dark look. The trim and plastics on my truck are in excellent shape so I didn`t really have an opportunity to get how it would restore faded or neglected plastics. The plastics on my truck were not overly dirty but product, which claims to be a AIO, did clean them up nicely and left a very dark overall look.
    2. I drove through some rain on the evening after applying and the product still looked good the following morning with minimal fading and no streaking.
    3. In comparison to Blackfire AIO I would say that the Blackfire product would be a tad more versatile as you could use it on tires as well especially when doing a rinseless wash or working on a garage queen where you didn`t want to wash the tires or wheels with a standard bucket. I am not sure if the Mothers aerosol version can be used on tires.
    4. Overall I found the product to be excellent and a great value at the price point. Especially for a product that can be purchased OTC at most retailers that sell Mothers products.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Ronkh, GearHead_1, The Guz liked this post
    Thanks Bunky thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers Back to Black Trim and Plastic Restorer Review

Cool review

Tough to keep plastic nice in FL
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I like it too. I think it is only for cleaning though. I put trim protectant over it.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t had the same such luck as the OP. The Back to Black for me has poor durability and streaks. Works on new trim as a dressing but fails on older greyed trim. More like "Still Faded" versus "Back to Black". Meguiars Ultimate Black Restorer IMHO works better, but still has a streaking problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Like any trim product it works best with a clean surface. It does last longer after cleaning the surface with the Mothers trim cleaner.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I`m currently using b2b because I was in a pinch and bought local. Ok product. Durability isn`t great, but it`s a serviceable product.

Thread Information