2006 Accord V6 6spd Coupe Conundrum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question "The Absorber" vs Sheepskin Chamois...

I have a new 2006 dark grey Accord coupe and I`ve been using a Simoniz genuine sheepskin chamois to dry my car, however my uncle (who details/wetsands cars for a living) told me I should be using something else to dry my car as I could be micromarring (sp) my paintjob while I dry...

Now he mentioned that Canadian Tire sells some type of synthetic drying towel "in a tube" which he uses on the cars he details. I`ve searched their website, and the only thing I can find is a product called "The Absorber". I also checked for WW mircofibre on Canadian Tire`s website, however they don`t list any at all.

So in everyone`s opinion is this "The Absorber" a good buy or am I better to keep using my sheepskin chamois and dry using the blotting method instead of wiping the car dry? I also checked Walmart Canada`s website and it only lists a few ArmourAll products, and not a single WW microfibre at all. I also don`t really want to go to the trouble of buying online as well (I like to feel these type of things before I commit), so really I am trying to buy OTC if possible. In case it matters, I live in Southern Ontario as well.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Figured I should post the links to the various products I have been reading about:

My current chamois: http://tinyurl.com/h3wjv
    "The Absorber": http://tinyurl.com/zeoug
    A non-WW microfibre: http://tinyurl.com/hzjyf

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "The Absorber" vs Sheepskin Chamois...

I use the absorber all the time, I think any time your drying your car there is a chance you can marr the paint, you just have to be careful.

Probably the safest way to dry is to use a good quality microfiber, but chamois does the job much quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

The absorber and chamois arep retty much the same exact thing IMO as far as micromarring is concerned. I don`t know which one dries better but they both have the possibility of marring the same. If you can find some WW somewhere, go that route. However, if you like the chamois and it works (dries and no swilrs) keep on using it. Use what works for you.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    I have a new 2006 dark grey Accord coupe and I`ve been using a Simoniz genuine sheepskin chamois to dry my car, however my uncle (who details/wetsands cars for a living) told me I should be using something else to dry my car as I could be micromarring (sp) my paintjob while I dry...

Now he mentioned that Canadian Tire sells some type of synthetic drying towel "in a tube" which he uses on the cars he details. I`ve searched their website, and the only thing I can find is a product called "The Absorber". I also checked for WW mircofibre on Canadian Tire`s website, however they don`t list any at all.

So in everyone`s opinion is this "The Absorber" a good buy or am I better to keep using my sheepskin chamois and dry using the blotting method instead of wiping the car dry? I also checked Walmart Canada`s website and it only lists a few ArmourAll products, and not a single WW microfibre at all. I also don`t really want to go to the trouble of buying online as well (I like to feel these type of things before I commit), so really I am trying to buy OTC if possible. In case it matters, I live in Southern Ontario as well.

Thanks in advance.

Since you want to purchase locally and not on line here are two suggestions for you being a fellow Canadian. First you can go to Canadian Tire and purchase the large MF drying towel they sell. It is not waffle weave but a very plush terry type MF. It is exactly the same as the one sold in US Walmart stores and will cost you around $18.00 CDN. It is very large and works well. Not as well as a waffle weave IMO but much better than an Absorber or natural chamois and will not marr the paint. Second, I would check out a auto body supply store near you that sells Meguiars products. You might be able to gets the Megs Water Magnet waffle weave drying towel. If it`s not in stock they can order it for you.

I understand you would rather see and feel the towels before you order but I can assure you if you order waffle weave towels or any other MF towels from the vendors mentioned on Detail City you will not be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the absorber. I`ve dropped in on dirty concrete several times and it doesn`t seem to hold on to things, except water very well. Which I like.
    I use that to get the majority of water off and then use a WW microfiber to finish off. I would probably use just the WW if possible, but I normally do 3-4 cars at a time and don`t feel the need to buy more WW towels when the absorber works so well.

2006 Accord V6 6spd Coupe Conundrum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    It is very large and works well. Not as well as a waffle weave IMO but much better than an Absorber or natural chamois and will not marr the paint.
    Thats the one thing I still don`t completely understand...I used microfibre for removing wax, and it seems like it will hold onto anything (because of all the tiny "hairs"/fibres it has)...wouldn`t this trap any remaining dirt and marr your paint anyhow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    Thats the one thing I still don`t completely understand...I used microfibre for removing wax, and it seems like it will hold onto anything (because of all the tiny "hairs"/fibres it has)...wouldn`t this trap any remaining dirt and marr your paint anyhow?
    Quite possibly. That`s why it`s important to not dry a car that`s not completely clean. On the flip side, there`s a chance that any small particles will have a chance to get into the nap of the MF towel, whereas with an Absorber, there`s no nap for the trash to hide in.

Nothing will be 100% marr free in my opinion, that`s just the nature of the beast. There are some things that work better than others, and usually that boils down to personal preference.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Cars that are gonna receive a full detail anyway, I try to go ahead and just use an absorber. Works well and lets me use my quality waffle weaves for more delicate and perfected finishes...

Joy
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing against the Absorber and similar products at all when used carefully and correctly. My personal preference would be the Absorber over a natural chamois for durability and maintenance ease reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    ...There are some things that work better than others, and usually that boils down to personal preference.
    I believe that pretty well sums it up.

Thread Information