Post Thanks / Like

Cool Carpro Iron X Paste

My main motivation for this review of Iron X Paste has been the questions about product control when spraying Iron X or similar like products. Specifically in regards to getting product on the calibers stuff like that.

I recently used the Iron X Paste on some wheels that had some minor caked on brake dust.

I put a small amount of the product on the affected areas of the wheels. I gave it about 5 minutes. A minute to two in there was the purple color change that you would see from you from your spray on version. I followed this up with Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner. I believed this turned into a effective duo and without the drama of spray decontamination.

20150801_154222.jpg (3.8 K

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro Iron X Paste

I also found this to be a amazing resource for dealing with rust that forms on chips and scratches through the primer on cars that I am working on. That itself has made this product a must have for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I see that you have purposely used it on a rust chip. I have some nasty rust chips and my plan is/was to remove loose rust from them, then degrease the spot, then apply rust converter, then rust primer, then paint and clear coat. Now, I`d want to also decontaminate paint with an iron remover like Sonax or the above Iron-X. My question is how will that change my approach in dealing with bigger surface rust chips? Will Iron-X remove rust from those eliminating the need for a rust converter product? Will it eat too much material away for any rust converter to adhere to?
    Thanks for any pointers.
    Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eljay View Post
    I see that you have purposely used it on a rust chip. I have some nasty rust chips and my plan is/was to remove loose rust from them, then degrease the spot, then apply rust converter, then rust primer, then paint and clear coat. Now, I`d want to also decontaminate paint with an iron remover like Sonax or the above Iron-X. My question is how will that change my approach in dealing with bigger surface rust chips? Will Iron-X remove rust from those eliminating the need for a rust converter product? Will it eat too much material away for any rust converter to adhere to?
    Thanks for any pointers.
    Just for the record I haven`t used a rust converter on a car before. What I will say is if there is visible rust on your car (exposed metal, chips) I would absolutely recommend spraying your car with your favorite Iron Remover. In addition to that, `personally` I would take the Iron X Paste to the rusted chips. Ideally the iron removing products would be used after the wash step; 1 step wash then 2nd Iron remover.

I can`t speak from experience but assuming the rust converter is safe(?) to use on your paint, I wouldn`t expect the iron remover to have a negative effect on the rust converter. Also you may find it unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Rust converter is a primer (Corroseal in my case). For any primer you sand and apply primer. After the rust converter has cured. I sand again in prep for colour Coat, but at this point use the Iron X ( I have never had the paste). After that I paint away. Some small spots I have done have stood up so far 5 years and counting. I should mention I did a lot of trial and error to arrive at this method. I practiced on the underside of the car (parts you can`t really see). Under the hood and behind taillights was also a good test area.

Thread Information