2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Driving A Car Between LSP`s

In the past, I`ve had to drive the car between the 1st and 2nd sealant coats. Obviousley, I don`t like to do this as you can pick up dirt and stuff between coatings. It`s not usually lenghty, all-day driving, just a few errands to-and-fro, maybe a few miles each way.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? I don`t have a 2nd car, so if I have to drive somewhere, it means I have to take my car out.

I was also wondering if a couple of minutes on the highway at 65 MPH might actually be GOOD for the curing process -- strong air blows, etc. Thoughts?

Lastly, there`s tons of pollen and/or flower pedals falling in the NY area this time of year (at least at my house with the trees and bushes we have) and I keep getting 4-5 particles per panel that need to be blown or brushed off. So even a quick jaunt up and down the street serves a purpose in getting the junk off the panels and out of the window/windshield wiper crevices.

Thoughts on driving between LSP`s ???
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Driving A Car Between LSP`s

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan
    In the past, I`ve had to drive the car between the 1st and 2nd sealant coats. Obviousley, I don`t like to do this as you can pick up dirt and stuff between coatings. It`s not usually lenghty, all-day driving, just a few errands to-and-fro, maybe a few miles each way.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? I don`t have a 2nd car, so if I have to drive somewhere, it means I have to take my car out.

I was also wondering if a couple of minutes on the highway at 65 MPH might actually be GOOD for the curing process -- strong air blows, etc. Thoughts?

Lastly, there`s tons of pollen and/or flower pedals falling in the NY area this time of year (at least at my house with the trees and bushes we have) and I keep getting 4-5 particles per panel that need to be blown or brushed off. So even a quick jaunt up and down the street serves a purpose in getting the junk off the panels and out of the window/windshield wiper crevices.

Thoughts on driving between LSP`s ???

I just wash or spray and wipe the car. The sun is what actually helps in curing the sealants. I don`t think driving at 60mph does much other than rock chips. lol.. But yea, just wash the car the next day or give it a qd if its ONLY light dust.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joyriide1113
    I just wash or spray and wipe the car. The sun is what actually helps in curing the sealants. I don`t think driving at 60mph does much other than rock chips. lol.. But yea, just wash the car the next day or give it a qd if its ONLY light dust.
    By QD, you mean waterless PB Spray & Wipe, not QD products with sealants and/or waxes in them, right ?
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HondaMan
    By QD, you mean waterless PB Spray & Wipe, not QD products with sealants and/or waxes in them, right ?
    That`s what I would suggest.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer
    That`s what I would suggest.
    Thats it.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

After I drive it I will not apply any more LSP until I wash it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I always re-wash if I`ve driven the car.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no harm in driving a car between coats. If it`s too dirty, simply wash and dry. Otherwise, a quick once over with Spray and Wipe will be sufficient.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    There is no harm in driving a car between coats. If it`s too dirty, simply wash and dry. Otherwise, a quick once over with Spray and Wipe will be sufficient.
    Plus, it IS a Honda, not like it`s a Corvette or Porsche !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    That`s exactly what I do. Typically I`ll do 2 to 3 coats of sealant and keep the car garaged over the weekend, then drive the car for a week and the following weekend wash, dry, S&W and apply another layer or so of sealant.
    * 17 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 - Granite Metallic
    * 06 Honda Civic LX - Royal Blue Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

i find that if i have to drive between coats ol an lsp i just wash the car really well with a good soap before applying the seconed coat. My area is really dusty so after a day you have to rewash anyway before applying a second coat. I would just wash it like normal then apply
    06 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like

Plus, it IS a Honda, not like it`s a FORD GT !!!
    I would have gotten in trouble if I would have said that.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth it to clay as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I would not clay as this could remove some LSP. You should clay after washing but before polishing if needed, then LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lex89
    Is it worth it to clay as well?
    Under no circumstances would I clay. I know some posts here wondered if claying a sealed surface did not remove the sealant. I wouldn`t take the chance -- you could be erasing hours of work.

Clay the car AFTER you wash. Once you`ve clayed the car, seal the sucker up and give it a few layers (I use AIO + 2 coats of pure sealant, either SG/UPP/EX-P).

If you keep giving it `booster layers` every few weeks (or less frequently, if the car is garaged or driven very ligthly) you should not have to clay the car again until you seal it up for the winter (well, assuming you live in the Northeast like I do and can`t detail in the winter unless you get that 60`s temperature like we caught last January).

I know some clay here every few weeks but I think that`s overkill, unless you`re talking super-high end car ($250K) or showcar that is for some reason being driven alot. If you seal the car up, keep giving booster layers, unless you`re driving along broken roads with dirt and dust and gravel, the gunk should be in the sealant layers and not the paint itself (which is where claying comes in).

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information