Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67
  1. #16
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    I am going to say this hopefully one last time, you have a in depth comparison which the OP obviously spent quite a bit of effort and time to produce(With pics and descriptions etc.....) and while doing it he did not gush about with over the top statements "Game over" or "Epic win".

    Just observations AFTER using the machine(In addition he has a Rupes 21 in hand so he can give his opinion based upon the capabilities of the respective units)as predicted once these machines get into guys hands it was a foregone conclusion most if not all would have a favorable opinion of it`s performance.

    I also noticed he correctly pointed out that Rupes more than likely are working on their next Gen machine and it will be a step up from the current offering and this is a bad thing how?. For those with the continued sour attitude.....................it`s your right to express nonsense but it is getting old and will not keep anyone most likely from picking up a Griots machine and when Rupes counters I will probably consider getting it if the newer unit has improved over current offerings.
    I agree. This whole thing about Griots copying Rupes is getting old. It takes away from a great review. Everyone is loyal to their brand. In the end who cares.


    For those haters. When rupes updates their machine does that make it a copy of the Griots?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marc08EX, RaskyR1, jsou, Junebug liked this post

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    I am quite certain nobody cares what posts you dislike.
    ... I wouldn`t be so sure of that ....
    Dislikes Marc08EX, JaredPointer, Junebug disliked this post

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by autoconcierge View Post
    I am going to say this hopefully one last time, you have a in depth comparison which the OP obviously spent quite a bit of effort and time to produce(With pics and descriptions etc.....) and while doing it he did not gush about with over the top statements "Game over" or "Epic win".

    Just observations AFTER using the machine(In addition he has a Rupes 21 in hand so he can give his opinion based upon the capabilities of the respective units)as predicted once these machines get into guys hands it was a foregone conclusion most if not all would have a favorable opinion of it`s performance.

    I also noticed he correctly pointed out that Rupes more than likely are working on their next Gen machine and it will be a step up from the current offering and this is a bad thing how?. For those with the continued sour attitude.....................it`s your right to express nonsense but it is getting old and will not keep anyone most likely from picking up a Griots machine and when Rupes counters I will probably consider getting it if the newer unit has improved over current offerings.
    I don`t think your opinion carries as much weight as you think it does
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post
    Dislikes Marc08EX, Junebug disliked this post

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I agree. This whole thing about Griots copying Rupes is getting old. It takes away from a great review. Everyone is loyal to their brand. In the end who cares.


    For those haters. When rupes updates their machine does that make it a copy of the Griots?

    I care!


    When RUPES updates their new machine it will be an updated RUPES. Not a machine they had to copy the blueprints from
    Dislikes Marc08EX disliked this post

  5. #20
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    5,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Great review Marc! Nice comparison between the 2 tools!
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

  6. #21
    House of Wax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    3,521
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Nice review. Looks like a good machine
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Marc08EX liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

  7. #22
    Detailers Workshop The Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Great review! VERY IN DEPTH! Now I`m just deliberating to wait for the new rupes or pick one of these up. I`m just going to buy them all!

    In all seriousness...

    Last time I checked most pro’s are charging more then enough for one detail to easily pay for machine and pad set ups. 2+ steppers with a coating and you can ever get two machines. I do this on the side now (I was pro but got a great job offer an couldn’t pass it up). Now I back roll my clients to weekends only. I literally work to buy new equipment/garage toys! I bought a 220 converter just so I can run my UK toys.

    Also, I will detail for polishers... don`t tell my clients!
    Likes Marc08EX, RaskyR1 liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

  8. #23
    Gurge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Thanks to the OP for taking the time to do a thorough review.

    Sharing my thoughts after having used both polishers (Rupes 21 and Boss 21)

    Bought a Rupes 21 like everyone else a couple years ago. After a few months I started to have an issue with the speed control. As in, the speed would sometimes fluctuate a bit on its own without any user input or change in pressure. This progressively got worse and worse until I had no control over the speed. The machine did whatever it wanted.

    Just so happened to be beyond the 1 yr warranty at that point. Had the Rupes sent in for repair. There is only 1 place that services rupes tools in the US. This cost me 8 weeks without the tool, $150 in repair (new gear set), and a number of phone calls. Worked well for about 2 months. Started to fluctuate speed again. Long and short, it again does whatever it wants. I have basically no control over the speed of the tool.

    Around the same time the Rupes was again giving me trouble, Griots released the Boss polisher. Even sent a direct mailer to my business with a nice brochure. Let me say that I love my GG6. Yes it craps out every 8 months or so. BUT there is a no questions asked lifetime warranty on the GG6. I`ve gone through the process a few times with no trouble and quick turnaround. You send them a broken polisher, they send a brand new one. Simple. This is quite the contrary to rupes with their 1 yr warranty and lackluster repair service. Lifetime warranty on the Boss in case you werent` sure.

    I ordered the Boss direct from Griots in the event I do have a warranty issue down the line. Been only using the tool for a month now but I`m pretty happy with it for many of the reasons outlined by the OP

    One thing I don`t like and I didn`t see mentioned was the heat issue. The body of the Boss polishers builds more heat than the rupes. Its tolerable though. But worth noting

    Also worth noting - never had any issues with my PC7424xp, or my Flex 3401 or Flex PE. So the most expensive tool in the room (Rupes 21) has given me the most trouble and cost me out of pocket to repair once already. I was happy to push it aside for a better solution and glad I waited for the Boss

    /rant
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing
    Likes Ronkh, Marc08EX, GearHead_1, jsou, RaskyR1 and 4 others liked this post

  9. #24
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    27,092
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    I`m used to heat. I got a flex
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Gurge, trashmanssd liked this post

  10. #25
    Detailers Workshop The Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    Thanks to the OP for taking the time to do a thorough review.

    Sharing my thoughts after having used both polishers (Rupes 21 and Boss 21)

    Bought a Rupes 21 like everyone else a couple years ago. After a few months I started to have an issue with the speed control. As in, the speed would sometimes fluctuate a bit on its own without any user input or change in pressure. This progressively got worse and worse until I had no control over the speed. The machine did whatever it wanted.

    Just so happened to be beyond the 1 yr warranty at that point. Had the Rupes sent in for repair. There is only 1 place that services rupes tools in the US. This cost me 8 weeks without the tool, $150 in repair (new gear set), and a number of phone calls. Worked well for about 2 months. Started to fluctuate speed again. Long and short, it again does whatever it wants. I have basically no control over the speed of the tool.

    Around the same time the Rupes was again giving me trouble, Griots released the Boss polisher. Even sent a direct mailer to my business with a nice brochure. Let me say that I love my GG6. Yes it craps out every 8 months or so. BUT there is a no questions asked lifetime warranty on the GG6. I`ve gone through the process a few times with no trouble and quick turnaround. You send them a broken polisher, they send a brand new one. Simple. This is quite the contrary to rupes with their 1 yr warranty and lackluster repair service. Lifetime warranty on the Boss in case you werent` sure.

    I ordered the Boss direct from Griots in the event I do have a warranty issue down the line. Been only using the tool for a month now but I`m pretty happy with it for many of the reasons outlined by the OP

    One thing I don`t like and I didn`t see mentioned was the heat issue. The body of the Boss polishers builds more heat than the rupes. Its tolerable though. But worth noting

    Also worth noting - never had any issues with my PC7424xp, or my Flex 3401 or Flex PE. So the most expensive tool in the room (Rupes 21) has given me the most trouble and cost me out of pocket to repair once already. I was happy to push it aside for a better solution and glad I waited for the Boss

    /rant
    Ish, that was my biggest worry. The rupes delaminates and distorts pads already. I was hoping they improved the cooling. Also note I don`t think the new GG Boss comes with a life warranty. I really hope it does though, if so I will be buying it regardless.

    Personally the only brands I could see never having problems are flex an metabo, possibly bosch or festool but even then. My buddy has a rotex that he loans me sanding jobs. I have never seen better build quality in machines past those two companies.

  11. #26
    Forum Sponsor Griot's Garage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Ish, that was my biggest worry. The rupes delaminates and distorts pads already. I was hoping they improved the cooling. Also note I don`t think the new GG Boss comes with a life warranty. I really hope it does though, if so I will be buying it regardless.

    Personally the only brands I could see never having problems are flex an metabo, possibly bosch or festool but even then. My buddy has a rotex that he loans me sanding jobs. I have never seen better build quality in machines past those two companies.
    It does It has the same warranty as our 6" has just with the added 2-year warranty which includes normal wear and tear (even if its used daily by a professional).
    Bill from Griot`s Garage

    www.griotsgarage.com - Have fun in your garage!
    Likes RaysWay, The Driver, Angus, The Guz, Marc08EX and 2 others liked this post

  12. #27
    jsou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Bad ass review. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

  13. #28
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    5,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    Thanks to the OP for taking the time to do a thorough review.

    Sharing my thoughts after having used both polishers (Rupes 21 and Boss 21)

    Bought a Rupes 21 like everyone else a couple years ago. After a few months I started to have an issue with the speed control. As in, the speed would sometimes fluctuate a bit on its own without any user input or change in pressure. This progressively got worse and worse until I had no control over the speed. The machine did whatever it wanted.

    Just so happened to be beyond the 1 yr warranty at that point. Had the Rupes sent in for repair. There is only 1 place that services rupes tools in the US. This cost me 8 weeks without the tool, $150 in repair (new gear set), and a number of phone calls. Worked well for about 2 months. Started to fluctuate speed again. Long and short, it again does whatever it wants. I have basically no control over the speed of the tool.

    Around the same time the Rupes was again giving me trouble, Griots released the Boss polisher. Even sent a direct mailer to my business with a nice brochure. Let me say that I love my GG6. Yes it craps out every 8 months or so. BUT there is a no questions asked lifetime warranty on the GG6. I`ve gone through the process a few times with no trouble and quick turnaround. You send them a broken polisher, they send a brand new one. Simple. This is quite the contrary to rupes with their 1 yr warranty and lackluster repair service. Lifetime warranty on the Boss in case you werent` sure.

    I ordered the Boss direct from Griots in the event I do have a warranty issue down the line. Been only using the tool for a month now but I`m pretty happy with it for many of the reasons outlined by the OP

    One thing I don`t like and I didn`t see mentioned was the heat issue. The body of the Boss polishers builds more heat than the rupes. Its tolerable though. But worth noting

    Also worth noting - never had any issues with my PC7424xp, or my Flex 3401 or Flex PE. So the most expensive tool in the room (Rupes 21) has given me the most trouble and cost me out of pocket to repair once already. I was happy to push it aside for a better solution and glad I waited for the Boss

    /rant
    Hey Bryan. A few other guys have messaged me about the heat too. No doubt it runs warmer than the Rupes, likely from the larger motor, but it`s still well below the temps you`ll see from some other tools and has never been uncomfortable for me. On a hot day I was seeing temps around 120 degrees with my Flex PE14 and on the same car/paint my G21 was maxing at 102.

    This thermal was taken near the end of a testing season at the Groit`s facility after running at speed 6 for 36hrs straight.

    Likes RaysWay, The Guz, Ronkh, Marc08EX, jsou and 2 others liked this post
    Thanks Marc08EX thanked for this post

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    I really don`t care if Griot copied the Rupes...the only thing that matters to me is that they improved it. What bothers me is that they also took Kevin Brown`s washer mod idea. Now if they are paying KB a royalty that would be cool of Griot.

  15. #30
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    5,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Review: Griot`s Garage Boss 21 Long Throw Polisher - Comparison To Rupes 21ES

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I really don`t care if Griot copied the Rupes...the only thing that matters to me is that they improved it. What bothers me is that they also took Kevin Brown`s washer mod idea. Now if they are paying KB a royalty that would be cool of Griot.
    I actually suggested the gap be fixed into the design rather then needed a washer at all, but being this tool targets both consumers and pros they didn`t want that. I also suggested it be called the KBM washer. I did give credit to the man in my video review.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. REVIEW! Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher
    By Jesse@Autopia in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-13-2019, 02:30 AM
  2. Mystery Products Revealed From the NEW Griots Garage BOSS G21 REVIEW
    By Jesse@Autopia in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
  3. NEW Griots Garage BOSS G21 REVIEW! With Mystery Product from 3D
    By Jesse@Autopia in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 07:58 AM
  5. Rupes LHR 21ES Random Orbital Polisher - Features & Benefits
    By Kevin Brown in forum Machine Polishing & Sanding
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •