Thread: Polishers?

Post Thanks / Like

Polishers?

Hi All: I was just wondering if I get a Porter Cable #7424 polisher will it be all I need, or will I also need a rotory as well?

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishers?

Are you a weekend warrior? Then:

The pc is all you should need, you will of course need to buy pads for it, and a new backing plate.

Are you a professional detailer? Then:

You will probably want/need a rotary buffer as well as a porter cable. I use rotary about 98% of the time when I work, but other pro`s use a little of both, but there are others who strictly use the porter cable.

With that being said, the PC is fool proof. You wont burn through your clear with the PC. The pc with abrasive combo`s and high speeds held in one spot for a very long time will go through your paint (im talking 20-30 minutes with pressure). A rotary however is not a toy, and should only be used by professionals who know the machine. One wrong move with the rotary and you can/will burn through paint.

Hope that helps!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

While all of greg`s statements are entirely true don`t let them be too intimadating. I started polishing with a "waxmaster" orbital and went from that to a rotary and have never used a pc. The rotary isn`t going to destroy paint if a person isn`t a professional. Just start out with light cutting pads and get some confidence.
    If you don`t mind putting in a little more time, or don`t do many jobs the pc will be good enough for most all jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both, mtmaher1 and Greg. anything new is intimidating. Just do your searches on the forum to find out what you need to know. After you have read a lot of threads start a few threads of your own to get information that you need cleared up.

A PC is the reason that I have become OCD. It take you to another plain in detailing that brings out the shine so much better than one can attain thru hand application. Just practice techniques, experiment with different products, and go slowly on the paint surface of the vehicle that you want to make the perfect shine on.

I have a rotary and I find that it really helps make corrections on the paint surface. All it does is do it faster. With practice a PC will do 95% of all paint corrective measures. Just slower with just a little more work.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

All I have used is a PC. I`m thinking of getting a rotory because I have worked on cars that are very much in need of a good detail. Although with the PC I`ve made those cars look better I think I can do a much better job with less work with a rotory as many of you have mentioned. I always like to make sure I have the tools to make a job go quicker & easier. With this said does it sound like I would need a rotory?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Lyon
    Hi All: I was just wondering if I get a Porter Cable #7424 polisher will it be all I need, or will I also need a rotory as well?
    Chances are that it will be all that you need. Some where down the road you may want a rotary as well.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1
    Chances are that it will be all that you need. Some where down the road you may want a rotary as well.

Well put.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used a PC. I started out a few years ago with a Sears 10" polisher and went stright from the to the Cyclo Polisher after which I started using a Makita rotary for certain jobs (paint correction, etc.). If you feel confortable with the PC, then go for it. However, there will be some jobs you will definately need a rotary. Good luck
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Makita rotary about a year ago. I still haven`t used it. I detail only my two bikes, my two trucks, my boat and my John Deere utility tractor . My pc and various pads and products have worked very well for me. I haven`t felt the need to get out the rotary. ( I must admit that I have not taken the time to practice using the rotary on something that I could mess up.)

I`m sure that a rotary would get probably be faster, but maybe not. Some pro-detailing folks follow up their rotary work with a pc to remove holograms etc. especially on dark colors.

I think that I bought my rotary because I had a bad case of "rotary envy".

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information