Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. ColorChip

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. ColorChip

My 2014 Honda Civic Si already has some paint chips on it, so I bought Dr. ColorChip in hopes of fixing them or making them look better. I had a medium sized one on the passenger side fender and a small, medium, and large one on the hood.

Here`s what I started with:

Color matched paint. Paint color is Orange Fire Pearl and the match was pretty much 100%:

Dabbed, then spread:

Removed with SealAct:

I then repeated the process hoping for a more level result and this was the best I could get:

And here are the ones on my hood with the smallest now nearly impossible to see:

From a normal viewing distance:

Also got all the salt off of it today with a rinseless wash performed before the Dr. ColorChip process. All chips were cleaned with IPA.

Overall, it is an idiot proof way to minimize your paint chips, but I feel as if using traditional touch up paint, wet sanding, and then polishing would yield a more level result. It seems like no matter how many times you repeat the process, the Dr. ColorChip paint won`t build up on itself to eventually level out with the original finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. ColorChip

SYMAWD- Huh, wonder why it wouldn`t build up for you...I`ve filled some awfully bad gouges with it.

I use it pretty much the same way I use conventional touchup paint, and maybe that makes all the diff. In other words, I use tiny brushes and many applications, but I do my best to keep it off of the surrounding paint. I don`t use their leveler until I`m satisfied with the thickness, which might take a long, long time depending on how bad the damage is.

EDIT: I bet the difference was a matter of time between coats. IIRC (this was a few years ago, not sure if I documented it in my Detailing Log or not..), I applied it pretty thick and let it dry/cure/whatever for a day or more. I do remember that the whole project took quite a few days and I let it set up for a long time after that before I leveled it. Even so, I polished some of it away with a relatively minor polishing, but still...it worked out better than I`d expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    SYMAWD- Huh, wonder why it wouldn`t build up for you...I`ve filled some awfully bad gouges with it.

I use it pretty much the same way I use conventional touchup paint, and maybe that makes all the diff. In other words, I use tiny brushes and many applications, but I do my best to keep it off of the surrounding paint. I don`t use their leveler until I`m satisfied with the thickness, which might take a long, long time depending on how bad the damage is.

EDIT: I bet the difference was a matter of time between coats. IIRC (this was a few years ago, not sure if I documented it in my Detailing Log or not..), I applied it pretty thick and let it dry/cure/whatever for a day or more. I do remember that the whole project took quite a few days and I let it set up for a long time after that before I leveled it. Even so, I polished some of it away with a relatively minor polishing, but still...it worked out better than I`d expected.
    I plan to try it again. I tried applying like normal touch up too, but it didn`t seem to make a difference. I`ll try a longer dry time.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice car !!!

I have used a camels hair sword tip brush for years when I was working in auto body shops, to touch up chips..
    The idea as you know, is to fill the chip to level and then let it dry completely before touching it again..
    Back then, there was no Dr color chip, etc., so I had to figure out how to make it level and smooth, and I did this by using less paint and more thinner for that paint type, to eventually leave it smooth and glossy.. This process is also how you Blend a painted area or panel with the rest of the paintwork, using a spray gun...

It looks like you are removing the paint too soon with the 2nd part liquid...

I have used Dr ColorChip for a few years in my Shop, and in my experiences, you have to follow their time line, let the paint set up enough before you come back and go over it if needed...

Since I have the most superior brush ever invented, I can easily fill in a chip to the top with their product, let it set up enough to stay there, and then go over the entire thing carefully and absolutely flat, so as to not dip into the paint chip crater and possibly remove some or all of the paint I put in there...

Just clean the chips good with something like IPA and Qtip, etc., get it warm if possible, get the paint warm, put it in your pocket for awhile, and go try it again... You will get it !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Very nice car !!!

I have used a camels hair sword tip brush for years when I was working in auto body shops, to touch up chips..
    The idea as you know, is to fill the chip to level and then let it dry completely before touching it again..
    Back then, there was no Dr color chip, etc., so I had to figure out how to make it level and smooth, and I did this by using less paint and more thinner for that paint type, to eventually leave it smooth and glossy.. This process is also how you Blend a painted area or panel with the rest of the paintwork, using a spray gun...

It looks like you are removing the paint too soon with the 2nd part liquid...

I have used Dr ColorChip for a few years in my Shop, and in my experiences, you have to follow their time line, let the paint set up enough before you come back and go over it if needed...

Since I have the most superior brush ever invented, I can easily fill in a chip to the top with their product, let it set up enough to stay there, and then go over the entire thing carefully and absolutely flat, so as to not dip into the paint chip crater and possibly remove some or all of the paint I put in there...

Just clean the chips good with something like IPA and Qtip, etc., get it warm if possible, get the paint warm, put it in your pocket for awhile, and go try it again... You will get it !
    Dan F
    Followed your tips except I only let it dry for 30 minutes because it`s almost dark and it will be way below freezing soon. One more application and I should be good:
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Ah, another thread (two in a row today) where our pasts are similar! Yeah, using the right brush is critical. Good point about getting the paint nice and warm. Eh, I forget about such stuff, being spoiled with climate control.

SYMAWD- I always waited a *LOT* longer than 30 minutes with it, maybe I was erring on the side of caution, but given my satisfaction with the results....Again, my memory is hazy, but IIRC I did the really deep damage over the course of a few days, just as I would with conventional paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I really do wonder if alcohol is a decent stripping agent. Yeah ago I tried dr colorchip as well as langka on my 5 series.

I stripped it with varying strengths of ipa but when I would wipe the car after letting the paint/chip fill dry as prescribed, the stuff came out.

So I never really had any luck at all with them
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I really do wonder if alcohol is a decent stripping agent..
    I use a PrepSol type product, but that`s mostly just habit.

My best results with the Dr Colorchip came when I ignored the instructions, and my favorite use for Langka is removing previous touchups.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- Ah, another thread (two in a row today) where our pasts are similar! Yeah, using the right brush is critical. Good point about getting the paint nice and warm. Eh, I forget about such stuff, being spoiled with climate control.

SYMAWD- I always waited a *LOT* longer than 30 minutes with it, maybe I was erring on the side of caution, but given my satisfaction with the results....Again, my memory is hazy, but IIRC I did the really deep damage over the course of a few days, just as I would with conventional paint.
    Well Dr. ColorChip really doesn`t recommend longer than an hour and I didn`t want to wait longer due to incoming freezing temps followed by a day of rain. I`ll give it a try again soon in hopes of perfecting that one large chip and I`ll post back what happens.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator -

PrepSol !!!!! I also know it well !

Is it still sold as Dupont 3806S or is that something else we used?

Perhaps they dont even sell it any longer but boy it really worked back then..

Wipe the panel clean, wipe it down with PrepSol, dry, Tack cloth the panel, spray your primer, paint, etc., and it never lifted, or had problems...

Yeah, since I just spent 11 years in the Northwest., I had to readjust everything from NorCal, and this required me to warm about everything that had to do with paint if I wanted it to flow correctly..

In the Paint Shop back then, we always had a quicker dry thinner or reducer in winter than in summer for exactly the same reason, much colder temps slow everything down sometimes to a detriment..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much as stated above by Accumulator and Stokdgs but I do use SealAct just a bit. Leaving the paint `high` in the chip. Then I use a polishing pad with something like M205 and buff the spot(s) level. So far no marring or scouring.

I even tried using an airbrush. Got a hold of a hole punch and would punch holes on masking tape to surround the chip. Problem is the masking tape wouldn`t cut clean. Left jagged edges `cause of the adhesive. Still working out the airbrush bugs ...
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are good now. Apply higher, then just work down. Some prefer to just apply enough to hide the missing paint, but to me this looks incomplete.
    Xclusive Autoworks Inc.
    Long Island`s Paint Correction Detailing
    Opti-Coat Pro Certified & Cquartz Finest Installer

Post Thanks / Like

SYMAWD- Yeah, I generally disregard their instructions. Guess I should qualify that with a "don`t try this at home, kids!" caveat, but I experimented enough to find what worked for me (in my situation, etc. etc.). With your having to deal with the weather, and wanting to not mess it up, I certainly don`t blame you for following the rules!

Le Marque- With all the airbrush work I did as a kid, I think it`s weird that I just *NEVER* use it for detailing stuff! I bet my Paasche hasn`t left its box for 40 years.

Stokdgs- Heh heh, we`re really dating ourselves here, huh?!? Yeah..PrepSol, PreKleano, forget the name of the other one I used to use.

I`d heard about PrepSol gettting changed (presumbly due to VOC regs), but I haven`t tried the new version yet. I`m using up some Wurth CleanSolve/CleansAll that I had around. It works fine too, but finding it in non-aerosol cans is getting tough.

Post Thanks / Like

So, due to the weather and when I work, an update will probably take about 2 months. Also, I got another test spot. This time on the driver`s side front fender.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. However, you`ll be a professional at filling paint chips pretty soon haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information