Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about aggressive clay

I have both types. I use the mild until I find something that the mild will not pull off and them I use the aggressive for that spot. You might have to polish that spot a little to clean up the marring. Make sure to lube well with the aggressive clay to reduce the marring. Most of the time it leaves very little
    marring.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this red aggressive clay as aggressive as 2000 grit wet sanding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Is this red aggressive clay as aggressive as 2000 grit wet sanding?
    I`m not aware of any clay that is even remotely close to being as aggressive as 2k sand paper. I don`t think it`s possible, unless you embed some sand in the clay! That doesn`t mean that clay can`t make a mess of the surface though.

clone

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima Lover View Post
    Right now I`m using Clay Magic (the blue one) and I have problems with taking off some small contaminants (mostly on the bottom of cars) and other crap stuck on the paint. What can I expect when using a more aggressive clay? Is it alright to use on cars normally? Does it make the paint feel different from the fine grade clay?
    tha clone uses a yellow clay (i have some blue)tha clone also has a bar of red(you may have) this stuff is like someone dropped it on tha beach. what will you expect if you use this stuff? well if u r like me i would say possibly a heart attack, most definitely a panic attack, followed by using language the clone does not condone.you felled 2 mention co,or and method of waxing(hand,orbit,or rotary) that red stuff though will never touch my fingers again

clone

Quote Originally Posted by gator1 View Post
    I Have Always Used A Mild Clay , I Have Seen And Herad Of Massive Damage On Paint. I Belive That If Its That Bad I Get Mr High Speed Out And Go To Town.
    GO VOL`S

clone

Quote Originally Posted by belcherm58 View Post
    I have both types. I use the mild until I find something that the mild will not pull off and them I use the aggressive for that spot. You might have to polish that spot a little to clean up the marring. Make sure to lube well with the aggressive clay to reduce the marring. Most of the time it leaves very little
    marring.
    key word here is:MOST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    I`m not aware of any clay that is even remotely close to being as aggressive as 2k sand paper. I don`t think it`s possible, unless you embed some sand in the clay! That doesn`t mean that clay can`t make a mess of the surface though.
    Thank you for the reply blk45. I am working on a 05 white explorer this weekend that was only ever washed with the "foamong brush" and rarely at that, I have never seen a surface with so much marring as this. I read that this red clay magic clay works good for white vehicles. I do have some experience with wet sanding but think it will be too aggressive in this case but I did want to break or smooth the surface a little before polishing this one and thought the red clay would work better at providing a more uniform but not so degraded surface. I am not interested in the fear of the product but the usefulness of it and I believe you answered my question, so thanks again.

clone

Thank you for the reply blk45. I am working on a 05 white explorer this weekend that was only ever washed with the "foamong brush" and rarely at that, I have never seen a surface with so much marring as this. I read that this red clay magic clay works good for white vehicles. I do have some experience with wet sanding but think it will be too aggressive in this case but I did want to break or smooth the surface a little before polishing this one and thought the red clay would work better at providing a more uniform but not so degraded surface. I am not interested in the fear of the product but the usefulness of it and I believe you answered my question, so thanks again.
    on a white car "that u say is a real piece" u may get away with it(followed by rotary)but, try that on a $100,000 car that u know the owner is anal. and you will then u will then know the meaning of fear. tha clone is only afraid of 3 things n life 1)DEATH, 2)TAXES and 3)"RED CLAY". that stuff should be outlawed...

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    clone is only afraid of n life 3)"RED CLAY". that stuff should be outlawed...
    ah we now know the clone`s kryptonite
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    ah we now know the clone`s kryptonite
    Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    and you will then u will then know the meaning of fear.
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

I might be misunderstanding you, but no clay will do anything for marring, except maybe add more if it is too aggressive or used improperly. Clay will just remove contaminates from the surface.

You can correct quite a bit of damage without resorting to wet sanding. I would try some mild combos first and work your way up to a wool/compound combo if needed. I would be really surprised if you couldn`t correct it that way. Can you post some pics of the surface?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I should clarify my thinking here, and "my thinking" has got me into big trouble in the past. I have`nt used the red clay before but hear it is abrasive but not nearly as abrasive as 2000 grit paper. Looking at this white paint in direct sunlight, the scratches, marring, swirls (from dragging an already dirty brush over a mud covered paint job) appear to be much deeper than the marring from even the 2000 grit. Having said all that, my thinking is that I am going to clay regardless of which clay I use so would`nt the red clay, (being agressive but not as agressive as 2000 grit paper) remove the contaminates and also begin the leveling of the clear? I am not thinking of trying to polish the paint with the clay but simply take advantage of the fact that the clay would introduce into the clear coat finer scratches than are already there, thus reducing the amount of time I would have to run the polisher to level the clear. Maybe I am overthinking here but it seems logical that I would get more done in less time on this particular job by using the red rather than the blue. I would`nt use it on a job that only had minimal marring. thanks to all who shared their experience on this issue. In the end , that`s all I am trying to do is gain more experience, Dave

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I should clarify my thinking here, and "my thinking" has got me into big trouble in the past. I have`nt used the red clay before but hear it is abrasive but not nearly as abrasive as 2000 grit paper. Looking at this white paint in direct sunlight, the scratches, marring, swirls (from dragging an already dirty brush over a mud covered paint job) appear to be much deeper than the marring from even the 2000 grit. Having said all that, my thinking is that I am going to clay regardless of which clay I use so would`nt the red clay, (being agressive but not as agressive as 2000 grit paper) remove the contaminates and also begin the leveling of the clear? I am not thinking of trying to polish the paint with the clay but simply take advantage of the fact that the clay would introduce into the clear coat finer scratches than are already there, thus reducing the amount of time I would have to run the polisher to level the clear. Maybe I am overthinking here but it seems logical that I would get more done in less time on this particular job by using the red rather than the blue. I would`nt use it on a job that only had minimal marring. thanks to all who shared their experience on this issue. In the end , that`s all I am trying to do is gain more experience, Dave

nope you got it all wrong there buddy .... the red will induce even more marring if it doesn`t have something to work on and probably be a xxxxx to use too on a rough surface. The red would be for heavy fall out, sap, heavy over spray etc... stuff ON the surface. You will need an aggressive polish /pad combo to polish out and smooth the finish, thus removing the scratches etc ... just be careful that this finish might not ever be perfect and if you go for perfection you may take too much clear off or go right through it
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks Steve,clone, blk45 I will just leave the red clay in the box in the closet and maybe a use will arise for it someday, I am really glad to come to this conclusion here on DC rather than make a big expensive mistake out there in the physical world.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what we are here for Dave. Glad we could help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information