Post Thanks / Like

Whee Brush Battle: Montana vrs Wheel Woolie Brush

Most of us have realized by now, nylon bristle brushes are probably not the best to use on well maintained aluminum wheels. So, this opens the door to use a boar`s hair brush. Boars hair is natural fiber, and has been proven to not scratch body paint if used correctly - so since most wheel "paint" is harder than the paint on the vehicle`s body - they are considered safe.

This is true. Boar`s hair brushes (BH won`t scratches even the most delicate wheels in the cleaning process if used correctly. It seems the two most common BHB used for wheels are the Montana (PBMG) & the Wheel Woolie models.

As you can see, the Montana brush is $5 less. Big deal. As I`d like to point out, the Montana brush "hairs" are shorted in person than pictured:

These brushes are workhorses. I`ve decided to buy both to see which is better since I use them so much. The Montana brush I`ve had for years - the Wheel Woolie brush is new. Since I`ve had the Montana brush for years, I can tell you the construction is pretty much bullet proof. It`s as good today as the day I bought it.

Let`s compare the two...

Handles:

Height of bristles is almost the same:

However, the density of the bristles is quite different as you can see above. The Wheel Woolie brush is much denser. The Montana brush kind of looks like hair plugs.

Oddly, although the Wheel Woolie brush is has denser hair and a longer handle - it`s clearly lighter by weight. It feels to me like the difference is because the handle is lighter, as it has a hollow cutout.

To make a long story short, my opinion is the Wheel Woolie brush is better. The bristles are denser, the bristles are a bit stiffer, and the brush is lighter. The bristles on the Montana brush are slightly "softer" - or more flexible. I laid this bottle of UWW+ on the bristles to demonstrate.

Time will tell if the Wheel Woolie brush holds up as well as the Montana brush. Based on my experience with the Wheel Woolie paint brushes, it will hold up quite well. This brush gets frequent use and is a couple of years old:

As you can see, that brush is in fine shape. So, if your looking for a good wheel brush - either will work; but I feel the Wheel Woolie brush is a better brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs, mshu7, mnehls86 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whee Brush Battle: Montana vrs Wheel Woolie Brush

Swanicyouth- Good comparison, thanks for posting it. The Wheel Woolies BHBs had slipped under my radar (I do use their Woolies).

Note that the makers of the Montana (Universal Brush) also make a supposedly higher grade model in their "Blonde" line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed review. Much appreciated.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple of the Montana wheel brushes for I think 10 years or so..
    They are very soft when wet and I dont see how they could ever scratch anything..
    Because they are very soft, they will take longer to clean some wheels compared to the other brush you used above..
    I like to use the Montana Brush for the faces and the outer wheels as much as they will clean there, and switch to the longer wheel brush (now called the Speedmaster) to get the inner wheels and beyond.
    And then for the ultimate, with all the soap still on there, rinse it well with a pressure washer..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison!

I`ve had the Wheel Woolie brush for about a year and a half (one of the original prototypes), and I couldn`t be happier with it. I use it on a weekly basis, often with heavy duty wheel cleaners. I lose a few bristles every now and then, but nothing worth complaining about.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice comparison.

I have the Wheel Woolie Brush for my wheels and am very happy with it. I think I would go with the Blonde BHB it I was going to be using it to wash paint.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

.. I think I would go with the Blonde BHB it I was going to be using it to wash paint.
    IF you decide to go that route (which I heartily encourage!) give it some consideration before assuming that the Blonde BHB is the right choice (maybe it is, maybe it isn`t). If washing delicate paints and/or garage-queens, then sure. IF washing vehicles with normal (or harder) clear, and/or vehicles that get truly filthy, then maybe the regular Montana would be a better choice.

Washing a truly dirty vehicle with the Blonde BHB requires more passes with it; there can be situations where it`s "too gentle". IME, *on the vehicles I have* the regular Montana is absolutely soft enough- no marring in-nd-of itself, no marring when used properly, no "it`s too stiff" issues whatsoever. And the slightly (*very* slightly IMO) stiffer bristles do clean a bit better.

I`m currently using my Blonde ones almost exclusively, but that`ll change with the season and for Winter use I`ll be using the regular Montanas.

That makes me think about the "too soft" issue with regard to BHBs for wheels too...some wheels get *dirty* and the softest brush might not always be the best choice. So I guess I sorta muddied the waters by even bringing up the Blonde BHBs!

Post Thanks / Like

I was totally disappointed with the Montana brush looks nothing like the picture. It`s just to thin on bristles will have to try wheel woolie version.

Post Thanks / Like

I use these brushes to clean glass and convertible tops during a 2BM. Foam, agitate, & rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Figures I just ordered the Montana the other day before seeing this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

rottnII- While it might not be as nice as the Wheel Woolies one, there`s nothing really *wrong* with the Montana IMO.
    Likes rottenII liked this post
    Thanks rottenII thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my Montana brush and used it the other day. I have to say I really like it. It`s very soft and it did a great job cleaning my wheels. I had been using the Mothers wheel brush with the bristles that almost feel like nylon. The Mothers brush always swirls up my black aftermarket wheels. So the Montana is nice in this aspect that it is very soft and should help avoid that. For a silver OEM wheel the wheel woolie should be good enough or even the Mothers wheel brush.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I wondered about these brushes. I always used the mothers wheel brush. And would replace it so often. I always wondered about scratches but never noticed any? The last sale i ordered the LAKE COUNTY WOOL WHEEL WASH MITT. I was always curious about it. Going to see how it cleans compared to my brush.

Lake Country Wool Wheel Washing Mitt
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Thanks. I wondered about these brushes. I always used the mothers wheel brush. And would replace it so often. I always wondered about scratches but never noticed any? The last sale i ordered the LAKE COUNTY WOOL WHEEL WASH MITT. I was always curious about it. Going to see how it cleans compared to my brush.

Lake Country Wool Wheel Washing Mitt
    I noticed them since my wheels are black clear coated. On silver or chrome it won`t be as visible. I still use use it on that type of wheel.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

These boar hair brushes look great. I will have to add one to my kit soon. Thanks for the review.

Thread Information