Post Thanks / Like

I am often late to the game when it comes to new products.` The “flavor of the month” is too often the dust collector on the shelf the following month.` When I first heard about Black Pearl Tire Shine I was skeptical to say the least.` The claims sounded much like so many other similar products that disappoint.

`

I was sent a sample to test.` I am a harsh critic and thorough in my reviews.` To answer the question right up front; Black Pearl is the real deal.`

`

Black Pearl is no more difficult to apply than any other tire dressing.` Preparing the tire is the important part and care should be taken to do this step right or the durability can be compromised.` This step has been covered extensively in other reviews so I will spare the long description.

`

Tire cleaned using the included Omni Clean:

`

`

`

`

I applied one coat to just one half the tire.

`

`

`

`

`

`

At 5 weeks the Black Pearl began to appear to have faded slightly.` Matthew Kelly, of Black Pearl, had stated that the shine can be restored by a quick cleaning.` So I sprayed a little Omni Clean on it, gave a quick scrub with a gentle brush and rinsed.` Most long lasting tire dressings have a tendency to be greasy/oily and attract and hold dirt.` There is definitely a different feeling that can be noticed just by how the brush passes over. `On bare rubber the bristles grab and drag.` On the coating they passed as though over plastic.` I decided to test the dirt attraction.` On the right was the bare, just cleaned rubber.` On the left was the Black Pearl side.` Had I scrubbed a little more that might have come out completely clean but this was a satisfactory indicator that Black Pearl does not attract dirt. (Video include to confirm equality.)

`

`

`

`

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEdsMvfBBdE

`

`

`

Over two months in (9 weeks) this is how it is looking:

`

`

`

`

`

`

Looking the way it does at 2 months, 6 months is definitely a reasonable expectation.`

`

One of the issues I anticipated with applying Black Pearl is getting into the tight groove adjacent to the wheel.` I inquired about this to Matthew Kelly.` He recommended using an old foam polishing pad cut into a wedge.` Black Pearl can be easily wiped off painted surfaces with a damp towel when done promptly before it starts to dry.`

`

The idea struck me to apply Black Pearl by airbrush.` I again contact Matthew Kelly to inquire about this and how the product should be thinned, if necessary.` He told me he was not aware of anyone applying by airbrush to tires but that no thinning should be necessary.` I experimented a little and finally came up with the following:

`

The wheel was taped off and covered to prevent overspray.` This is not entirely necessary.` I have found it easier to simply use a flexible piece of plastic and holding it along the wheel lip.` I simply did this to facilitate the demo.`

`

On the left side I applied Black Pearl by airbrush.` On the left I used the supplied roller.` The lower was left with one coat while the top received a second coat using the respective methods.

`

`

`

`

`

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949wRl0ezio

`

`

`

`

`

`

In the sun:

`

`

`

`

One of the advantages of applying Black Pearl by airbrush is the ability to get a thicker layer in one shot rather than having to wait and apply a second coat via roller.` As you will see as you scroll, the single coat applied by roller has the least amount of gloss.` The single coat applied by airbrush is noticeably glossier.`` This could be adjusted with a little practice for lower gloss.` The section with 2 coats by roller is slightly glossier than the one coat applied by airbrush, but they are darn close and would probably not be evident if not on the same tire.` The highest gloss was the airbrushed 2 coats.` I have included many photos to show this.` The look in person is slightly different (more wet than shiny) than what appears on camera.`

`

`

`

`

`

`

As you can see from the photos below, even though I had the tire up on a 2 X 4 I still did not get complete coverage at the bottom, which is why I included the above photos.

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

This vehicle doesn’t see a lot of miles and the tires are about due to be replaced so I’m not sure this will be a good test for the durability but I’ll report back anything significant if I can.

`

Post Thanks / Like

Continuing on; I happened to see some Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Tire Coating at a store and thought I’d give it a quick review and comparison.

`

I immediately knew I wasn’t going to like the Meguiar’s.` This is how each product looked immediately after applying.` Notice the oily look of the Meguiar’s on the right.` Black Pearl has a black tint to it and looks like ink when wet but does shrink down as it dries so drips are rare.`

`

`

`

`

After being left to dry for about an hour I took a white towel to each product.` The Black Pearl produced almost nothing on the towel while the Meguiar’s clearly had an oily film that was lifted.

`

`

`

`

`

`

After a couple more hours of drying I took the following photo to show the difference in the sun.

`

`

`

`

After about a week I noticed the Meguiar’s was beginning to take on that familiar grayish/brownish color and had dust clearly imbedded.`

`

`

`

`

So I decided to try the white towel test again, this time without any cleaning.

`

`

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdtIWIKeuQ

`

`

`

`

`

After roughly 3 weeks the Meguiar’s is looking weak:

`

`

`

`

And about 4 weeks it is almost non-existent but Black Pearl looks as good as the day it was applied.` So much for the one month durability claimed by Meguiar’s.

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

While I had the airbrush out to do the airbrush review above I thought I would try Black Pearl on the rubber window trim on the Dodge Caravan.` When I first received my sample of Black Pearl I tried applying with a foam applicator to a small section on my own car.` It didn’t level out well and I didn’t like the look or feel of it.`

`

So I taped off the glass and surrounding paint and airbrushed the driver’s trim.

`

`

`

`

`

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCiBMZba0A

`

`

`

This was my first attempt at this so there is room for some fine tuning and experimentation.

`

I forgot to take some before photos prior to taping so I have included matching passenger side photos for comparison.

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

I had taped off a small section in the very corner by the mirror for contrast.`

`

`

`

`

`

`

I did get one drip just above the tape line.` I also was a little surprised that the strip at the bottom of the window turned out a little splotchy while the rest looked outstanding.` I don’t think there was any difference in coverage and the rubber feels to be the same texture and hardness.` I suspect a second coat on that strip would resolve the problem.` As I said, this was an experiment.

`

`

`

`

`

Thanks for reading.` I hope this helps those on the fence about Black Pearl.

`

`

`

<span style="font-size:18px;">Chris Chandler

<span style="font-size:18px;">`

<span style="font-size:18px;">Nth Degree Auto Detailing

Thread Information