Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was lucky enough to have Bigbull (Dhaval) send me a generous amount of Gary Dean`s (GD) Infinite Use Detail Juice (IUDJ) to test out. In case your not familiar with this product, it is claimed to be able to be used to do all of the following: rinseless wash, waterless wash, water softener, interior wipe, glass cleaner, detail spray, spray wax, tire dressing, interior protectant (UV), light duty carpet cleaner, and clay lube. Some of those uses are a bit redundant, as you likely could use any rinseless wash as a water softener, or any detail spray as a clay lube. But, then again, who else is claiming their rinseless wash could be used as a tire dressing?

I received my product in a convenient Ultima Waterless Wash Plus style measuring container from Dhaval, but the original 8oz bottle and package artwork looks like this:

I like the artwork and the general appearance of the original product quite a bit. The purple color of the product is also a bit unique, as purple and green seem to be the signature colors of the line. First thing I did when I received this product is open it up and smell it. In the concentrated form, the smell is quite strong. It`s sort of a chemical berry smell. It`s quite distinctive. The thing is, I can`t seem to make up my mind whether I like the smell or hate it. A friend happened to come in when I was mixing it and said the room "smelled like garbage". But, it doesn`t smell bad to me, just unique.

GD seems to be somewhat of a polarizing figure on some of the detailing forums. It seems some people really like him, and some don`t. It always seems to be centered around the Gary Dean Wash Method (GDWM). For anyone not familiar with the GDWM, you basically mix up a few gallons of rinseless wash using de-ionized water, and place several towels in the bucket. Instead of placing a dirty towel in the bucket (after using it), which could introduce dirt into your wash solution and cause scratches, you just grab a new towel with clean solution. The "twist" is you fold your towel in fours, so you keep going to a clean side of the towel every panel until your whole 8 sides are dirty. So, I plan on doing this review on the IUDJ, the GDWM, and explain my take and how I perform a GDWM. now that winter is here, I think this is a good time to talk about washing a car in the cold.

I`ve also seen Gary Dean recommend snow foaming or rinsing the car to get major dirt off the car first. In fact, I agree with GD that this is the best method to wash a car: foam/rinse, then GDWM. I learned this method directly from GD, his videos, and the forum chatter they created. So, whether or not GD actually invented the method, I think it`s fair to say he popularized it and it`s a good method. The trick to the method is to either work under cover, inside, or using DI water - or a combination of the three. Because after you foam/rinse, you don want your car to be baking dry in the sun (assuming summer) while you perform a rinseless wash panel by panel to avoid water spots. I still find it best to clean wheels and wells first using conventional products, a bucket, and a hose.

So, why not just do a two bucket method (2BM) wash if your going to go through all the trouble to foam/rinse and clean the wheels with a hose? Well, I can tell you a few reasons I do it:

1. You get better results than a 2BM wash because the rinseless product leaves the paint slick and some protection behind. Your drying each panel as you go along and working with de-ionized water, so water spots are minimized - especially on glass. Polymer based rinseless type cleaners (like IUDJ) likely inflict less "wear and tear" on your LSP (wax) compared to conventional surfactant based soaps (2BM).

2. You need to use less "stuff": less buckets, no grit guard, and less water. It`s a lot easier to drag two gallons of water around a car then it is ten gallons. This also makes it much easier to do away from home (more on that in a bit).

3. It`s easier to do in the cold, because there is just generally less exposure to water. Whenever I do a 2BM my shoes and pant legs inevitably get wet. This is bad if it`s like 25 degrees out. If your doing a GDWM wash, you could forgo the foaming and rinsing first (I believe most do) and just start the rinseless wash. It`s also possible to come up with your own method of using the left over rinseless solution to clean the wheels. Neither of these options I prefer, regardless of how cold it is. But, I`m pretty hardcore about this stuff. You could maintain your car pretty well with a single bucket and some nice towels all winter long.

4. It`s faster no matter how you look at it. Why? Because your not spending time rinsing the car, filling up and dragging around a second wash bucket, and constantly cleaning your wash media on a grit guard. In fact, it should only be necessary for you to put your hand in the wash bucket about 8 times during the whole procedure. Your using your washing machine to clean your wash media when your done - not your own time and energy after each panel. Your also spending less time in the cold in the winter.

These seem to be the main reasons I prefer this wash method over the conventional 2BM - especially in the cold PA winters. Actually, I have everything I need at home: pressure washer, CR Spotless, Master Blaster, and all types of fancy detailing tools/supplies/towels. However, come winter time, I rarely wash at home. Instead, I bring a bucket, 2 gallons of de-ionized water, 2oz of rinseless wash, a bottle of waterless wash, some towels, wheel cleaner, my Werner platform, and wheel cleaning tools to the local Pay-N-Spray car wash. There I can work in a partially closed bay (shelter) and use their water for pressure rinsing and wheel/well cleaning. Business is usually slow in the winter, so I`m guessing that is why the owner leaves me alone. I mainly do it because it seems much warmer to work in a partially enclosed bay, and for whatever reason the water there doesn`t seems to freeze. They also have a drain, so I`m not creating an ice skating rink for my neighbors to slip on. I`m also usually washing my large SUV, so it does make hauling all the stuff there a bit easier and a bit more worth it.

My set up in transit usually looks something like this:

There are like a zillion towels one could choose to do this. I`ll just tell you what I like and what works best for me. I like to use a 600gsm+ towel when doing a GDWM. My all time favorite towel for this is the 600gsm green towel from Microfiber Tech (MFT), but I also use the 700gsm blue/grey towel sold by several vendors (including MFT):

As you can see, although the blue/grey towel is a higher gsm, the green ones are slightly "fluffier". Oddly enough, GD is now selling the green towel for his "Perfect Wash". The benefit of the blue/grey towel is the blue side tends to show any dirt on the towel quite well. I usually do my first passes on the dirtiest parts of the vehicle with the blue sides, then "go over it" again with the grey sides. It`s easy to tell how dirty the panel is initially by looking at how dirty the blue side looks. Occasionally I will use the Chinchilla towel or the 530 grey/600gsm purple towels AutoGeek seeks for a GDWM as well. However, I don`t like these towels as much fort this purpose. The Chinchilla towels seem to get too "stretchy" when soaked, and the other two towels are a bit grabby for me and don`t like to stay folded - not to mention the nap is low on the one side.

For drying, nothing is better that then the Wave Rider Jr towels from Microfiber Madness. However, I save those towels for my BMW due to their cost. I really like drying with these 16"x24" waffle weave towels from MFT for my daily driver:

They do look kind of thin in the picture - and they are. But for whatever reason they just work very well. They suck up a lot of water, stay folded well, and are like $30 for ten towels. They do not scratch in my experience either. I can dry my whole SUV using the GDWM using just 2 of those towels. Like the wash towels, I fold them (in eights), so each towel has 16 clean sides. These towels are also excellent for quick detailing or spray waxing a clean car. I don`t understand why people would use a waffle weave to wipe water (liquid) off a clean car, but then use a super high gsm fluffy towel to wipe quick detailer/spray wax (liquids) off a clean car. If you haven`t tried waffle weaves for this use, I highly suggest trying it. They will disperse and pick up your spray wax/quick detailer effortlessly with no drag, because they have little nap or pile. Again - on a clean car. For wheels and jambs I use the black microfiber "wheel towels" sold by AutoGeek. So, that is my take on towels and the GDWM.

So, now you know my take on the GDWM, it`s on to the review of the product: IUDJ:

What you see in the picture is 1oz of IUDJ concentrate and a mixed bottle of IUDJ mixed at "waterless wash" concentration. GD says there are 3 concentrations you can use IUDJ at: straight as a dressing/protectant, 2.5oz per gallon at "waterless wash" concentration, or 1oz per 4 gallons as rinseless wash or water softener. When I do a rinseless wash, I always use DOUBLE what the manufacturer recommends. I did this once by accident, and was wondering why my rinseless solution was working so well and the paint felt so slick. Ever since then, that is just how I`ve done it. I`ve never had an issue with streaking or any residue. This makes sense to me, since many of these rinseless products can be used at much lower dilutions as quick detailers or waterless washes. This may not be the most cost concious way to do it, but to be fair, I will be using IUDJ as a rinseless wash at double the concentration (1oz per 2 gallons) recommended. I also will be using IUDJ as a waterless wash at the recommended concentration (2.5oz per gallon) - as I always follow the manufacturer`s recommendations when mixing a waterless product. That`s just how I do it.

When I say it`s can be cold when you do this - it can be cold. Here is the weather from my first use of IUDJ:

That`s pretty cold, but I`ve done colder. For whatever reason, it was 28°, but just felt much colder. I don`t really care if it`s 28° or 28° below zero. If the water isn`t freezing on the car or in the bucket, I can do it. If you live somewhere warm, maybe this will give you an idea what washing your car below freezing is like:

I was thinking that could make a good murder weapon. Stab someone and the evidence would just melt.

1oz of IUDJ in bucket:

Here is the IUDJ mixed 1oz per 2 gallons of distiller water:

Another thing I`ve found really helpful in the cold is to get yourself some plumbers gloves. I use these:

They cost a whopping $4.99 and go up to your forearm. They keep your hands insulated, isolated, warm, and dry. Because they go up to your forearm and are rubber, not a drop of water will get to your hands or arms if you don`t stick them in the bucket too far. They are a bit bulky, but do serve the purpose very well. They are also great if you ever have to stick your hands in or clean up something really gross.

Another slight twist I put on the GDWM is I always use a waterless wash to pre-treat the panel before wiping it with a rinseless wash. This is after I pressure rinse the vehicle. While it may not be completely necessary, I find it just to make rinseless washing that much better. Of course, there are only a few products out there that are recommended to be used as both a rinseless AND waterless wash. One is IUDJ, another is Ultimate Waterless Wash Plus (UWW+). If I`m using Pinnacle (my go to), I`ll use the Pinnacle Rinseless Wash (bucket) with the Pinnacle Waterless Wash (sprayer). The two work quite well together.

Here is the IUDJ in action as a waterless wash:

Here it is sprayed on the panel (2.5oz per gallon):

So, I basically went ahead and did my rinseless wash using the procedures I`ve described using the IUDJ. In the past I`ve used: ONR, Blackfire, Pinnacle, UWW+ and Duragloss for rinseless washes. For waterless washes, I`ve used too many to count. Some of them were great, some just good. My current go to products are UWW+ and the Pinnacle rinseless / waterless combo. I`ve settled on these because they are top notch and very cost effective due to their high dilution ratios in the waterless wash department. While OptiClean is very good, I use a lot of waterless wash (about 32oz each GDWM), and 1:4 dilution is just crazy for me when I can get a product like UWW+ that dilutes 1:44 for about the same price. Blackfire is similar - poor dilution ratio for the waterless so I don`t use it. Good product nonetheless. Interestingly enough, out of all the rinseless washes, the original (ONR) tends to be my least favorite. Although I do use it from time to time for different reasons/indications.

Back to the Juice. I`ll make this as simple as I can. As a waterless and rinseless wash I found IUDJ to be excellent. It cleaned well, wiped off well (even at below freezing temperatures) and left the paint very slick. I really can find no fault with the product at all as a rinseless/waterless wash. It worked well on glass and didn`t streak. It seemed to me like it may have a bit more "stuff" (polymers?) in it than some of the other products. While it left the paint quite smooth and slick, it seemed to almost give a smooth hydraulic type feel between the towel and the paint. I`ve noticed this feel before with some of my other favorite spray products, and I really don`t know how else to describe it other than that is how it feels to me. The towel seems almost to be connected to the paint by some hydraulic mechanism. It`s just very smooth feeling. I`ve notice this with before with similar products, but I really noticed it with IUDJ. While smell is subjective, IUDJ may be my least favorite smelling product of this kind next to OptiClean. Not like the smell matters, but that is just my opinion. The color is likely one of the best (purple).

Now that you know this is an awesome rinseless and waterless wash, the cost question may come up. How does it stack up? Well off the cuff, IUDJ seems quite expensive. The price of entry is a whopping thirty bucks for eight ounces of concentrate. That SEEMS high. But, if you break it down by use, IUDJ is twice as concentrated as most other products as a rinseless wash. Most manufacturers recommend 1oz per 2 gallons, but, with IUDJ you use 1oz per 4 gallons (makes 24 gallons of rinseless solution). So, as a rinseless, it`s really like your getting 16oz of concentrate for 30 bucks. Still a bit costly compared to the competition, as I think you can get 32oz (makes 64 gallons of rinseless solution) of ONR for about half that amount. Which means, if your using it as a rinseless, despite the high dilution ratio, IUDJ is costing you three times as much as ONR. However, ONR does lack some of the versatility of IUDJ, is likely the cheapest rinseless wash available, and isn`t as good as a rinseless wash as IUDJ in my opinion.

As a waterless wash product, I`ll compare it to UWW+. For about 20 bucks you can get 16oz of UWW+ concentrate. That will make 704 ounces of waterless wash (about 3¢ per oz). With IUDJ, 8oz of concentrate will make about 410 ounces of waterless wash (about 5¢ per oz). So, while IUDJ is still fairly inexpensive as a waterless wash at 5¢ per oz - it`s not the cheapest stuff out there. The question then is, is it better than UWW+? My answer - no. But, It`s very subjective. It may be as good as UWW+, but I don`t feel it offers an advantage over that product. That`s not saying IUDJ isn`t excellent, it`s just that UWW+ is so good, it`s really hard to say which is better.

Of course these comparisons are made on the most commonly available sizes. Once you start buying larger sizes, prices per ounce will change - and you will have to do your own math and decide which is best for you. On one hand this isn`t really a fair comparison, as a small business guy like GD brings an excellent product to market at a great price, and I`m comparing it to Ultima - who likely has the volume and the resources to sell for less dollars. So, all I can tell you is both products are quite good and can likely be used interchangeably as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, interior wipe, QD, or clay lube.

I usually like to post the MSDS if available for products like this. I searched around the Internet and could find no MSDS for IUDJ. I contacted GD directly through his IUDJ website explaining I was reviewing the product and the sample I got was from Dhaval, who I believe bought I directly from him. I received no response. This pisses me off a bit. At least tell me "no". No response says to me "I can`t be bothered with you". Well that is that about that. Just because I got no response, I`m not going to say the product is no good - it`s very good.

IUDJ also advertises it can be used as a dressing/protectant. I was a bit curious about this. I wasn`t planning on putting it in my regular rotation of tire dressings, as I was guessing it wasn`t going to work as well as a dedicated dressing. How does it work in a dressing? Well, at this point I`m at a new day and another car.

First, I foamed and rinsed the car (as GD recommends) to get off the salt that somehow gets on my paint after the snow even when it`s dry out:

Then mixed IUDJ 1oz/2gallons of DI water:

I used four 600gsm towels (24 sides) and 1 Wave Rider Jr to do the whole car. I pretreated each panel as described previously with the Juice at the waterless wash concentration. Wheels were cleaned conventionally, tires stripped of all dressing with Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner (1:1), and convertible top and windows where cleaned with snow foam and a boars hair brush prior to washing the panels.

After, the Juice leaves I nice shine and slick surface:

I also used it to wipe down the engine compartment. No before pics, as it was just dusty - not dirty. The plastics did have some dressing on them - I applied it maybe 2 months ago (not today):

IUDJ worked excellent on the plastics and left a nice refreshed look. I was using it at the "waterless wash concentration" (2.5oz / 1 gallon) - not straight. It still worked very well.

Now it was time to try it on the tires - straight. Again, tires were cleaned and stripped of all old dressing.

Clean:

With the Juice:

On another tire I tried a 50:50

I put down a tapeline in front of the circle where it`s says "225". It`s hard to see.

I wasn`t a big fan of it as a dressing. It would do in a pinch, but it`s not great. I later topped it with a different dressing because I wasn`t thrilled how the tires looked. It was a pretty matte look, maybe it`s hard to tell by the pictures. It definitely did not look as good as a dedicated dressing. A bit uneven looking as well. I`m not sure why this stuff is being sold with this as an intended use, as it`s not great as a dressing IMO. I don`t think most people will be too surprised. It does seem to do well on plastics though. Maybe on rubber/tires it`s just not great.

Well, that`s IUDJ and my thoughts on it. It`s a very good rinseless and waterless wash. It`s also extremely good on glass and for wiping down whatever needs to be wiped down. It falls short as a tire dressing, but I don`t think many people will be shocked there. It just seems odd to me that it has this indication when IMO it`s really not necessary. The product is good enough on it`s own.

Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

`

You could call those plumber`s gloves detailer`s gloves and charge 3x for it,

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. You really put alot of thought into this. I`m sure Garry will appreciate it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah - it`s a great product. I`m wondering if he could sell more of it making it a bit less concentrated. I think a lot of people may think $30 for 8oz is a lot, not realizing how far this stuff goes. It`s as good or better than UWW+ IMO - and that`s saying a lot.`

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth

`It`s as good or better than UWW+ IMO - and that`s saying a lot.`

That certainly *is* saying a lot!

`

I haven`t used my IUDJ all that much, but I do find it a lot better than the original ONR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

That certainly *is* saying a lot!

`

I haven`t used my IUDJ all that much, but I do find it a lot better than the original ONR.

`

Accumulator,

`

Have you compared it to the latest/newest ONR? `Do you like the newest IUDJ better than the lastest ONR version?

Post Thanks / Like

mystickid- NO, I swore off the ONR after my issues with the earlier (?v2.0?) version and the responses I got regarding how it killed off Collinite (insulting myintelligence is not the way to earn my business).

`

I`m just gonna stick with the IUDJ for now, bought a gallon so that`ll last me a good long time even though I`m mixing it up pretty strong for use as a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Could you PM me about that response you received about ONR and Collinite?

Bad enough I kinda hijacked the thread...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

fdresq4- See if you got my PM, my PC is acting even`screwier than usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Received!` Thank you`

Post Thanks / Like
    IUDJ is just better than ONR. Whatever version & no matter how you slice it. All my opinion of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator...I`d also like the info on collinite and onr, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth

IUDJ is just better than ONR. Whatever version & no matter how you slice it. All my opinion of course.

`

No worries, still valid. What features do you like better in IUDJ over ONR (lastest version)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mystickid

No worries, still valid. What features do you like better in IUDJ over ONR (lastest version)?

It`s slicker, the towel glides across the paint better. Also, it seems to enhance beading - unlike ONR. I also like you can use the same product for waterless and rinseless. I just seems like a more substantial product to me in the bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Does IUDJ dirty the wash media like ONR or does`IUDJ leave it cleaner like Meg #114?

`

Sounds like a terrific product.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information