Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: Wolfgang Uber Compound

Introduction:

I was contact by Nick @ AG and offered the chance to receive a small bottle of Wolfgang’s newest compound in exchange for a review. Well obviously I am always up to try the latest and greatest products, and I enjoy doing reviews. So this seemed like the perfect storm for me, the only problem was I didn`t have any upcoming vehicle to work on and use as a test subject. Luckily a friend of mine offers to let me use a fender off one of his motor cycles that had been sitting in his paint booth for a year or more and was covered in overspray. Along with the fender I was given the best thing a guy like me could hear, the directions: " do whatever you want and don`t worry about it, as I will most likely be doing a re-paint on it anyway".

So I now had some of the new WG UC that is claimed to cut 1200 grit sand in marks and also finish down LSP ready. A compound that can handle 1200 grit sanding marks and finish down LSP ready is huge claim as far as I am concerned as in my uses most "heavy cut" compounds require at least a 2nd step to refine the finish. Having a front tin from a motor cycle covered in overspray and soon to be sanding marks as well that has an after marked air cured finish seems like the perfect test starting point.

Product Description / Claims:

Wolfgang Uber Compound is a heavy-cut compound that is designed to restore the gloss and color to all paint systems without creating unsightly swirls or compounding haze. Formulated using an advanced blend of micro and diminishing abrasives, Wolfgang Uber Compound effortlessly removes heavy swirl marks, oxidation, water spots, and etchings from bird droppings without dulling the finish or creating new swirl marks. You control the aggressiveness of the compound by your pad selection. Wolfgang Uber Compound is able to remove up to 1200 grit sanding marks, heavy swirl marks, oxidation, and water spots without dulling or hazing even the softest paint systems.

Product Details:

Packaging: 8oz black bottle with a flip top lid

Directions: Good general directions

Color: White

Scent: Chemical

Pricing: $25 @ 8oz. / $40 @ 16oz. / $60 @ 32oz. / $200@ 128oz.

Directions:

1. Wash and dry vehicle.
    2. Clay the vehicle.
    3. Equip your dual action or rotary polisher with the appropriate foam or wool pad.
    4. Apply 2-3 dime-sized drops of compound on the outer edge of the pad.
    5. Set your dual action polisher to speed 5-6. If you’re using a rotary polisher, set your speed between 1200 and 1500 RPM.
    6. Working on a section no larger than 12 x 12 inches, polish the area using firm downward pressure and a slow arm movement. Polish the area until the compound turns clear. Turn polisher off and remove residue.
    7. Polish entire vehicle using steps 4-6.

Warnings or Precautions:

• Always work on a cool wheel in the shade.
    • Keep out of reach of Children
    • Harmful If Swallowed

Testing:

After getting everything gathered and organized I accessed the situation and possible tools to use. Simply based on the size and shape to the fender the Flex PE14 was the obvious choice for me paired with smaller 4" spot buffing pad’s. I didn`t want to go any more aggressive than an LC orange pad, simply to have good baseline that almost all pros as well as weekend warriors have in their arsenal.

When I received the fender it was covered in overspray.

I went ahead and decon’d it and then sanded it down with some 1500 grit Meguiars Unigrit sand paper.

I then prepped my LC Orange spot buffing pad on my Flex PE14.

It took 2 sessions to get all sanding marks out and for the paint to look as best it could. I think it could have handled it in 1 session if I had used a more aggressive pad. But I wanted to use the Orange pad as my baseline for comparison.

Below are 2 videos I put together documenting the process and testing. I think they speak for themselves.

As you can see I also did the other half of the fender with Meg`s M100. Is did this as a baseline test with another compound that also handles 1200 grit sanding marks. I didn`t include most of the M100 in this review as it was more for my own comparison and baseline. I might be doing a similar review on M100 as well in the future.

Pros:

• Easy to use.
    • No dusting in my testing so far.
    • Quick results.
    • LSP ready finish on some paints.

Cons:

• Price (if this is / is similar to Menzerna FG400, then FG400 is consistently cheaper)

Questions:

• How similar is WG UC to Menz FG400?
    • Can WG UC finish down LSP ready on super soft and finicky dark colors. ( this will require some more testing on my part)
    • How will WG UC work with MF pads. (so far I have only used foam on a rotary due to just using small testing panels not big enough for a DA and larger pads)

Final Thought / Summary:

In my limited use and testing of WG Uber Compound I am fairly impressed. It really does seem to handle at least 1500 grit sanding and finishes down very well. I would guess most people are like me and don`t want to go down to 1200 unless needed and will most likely step up to finishing with 2000 or greater if possible. So WGUC could easily handle that.

I would like to do more comparison testing with WGUC vs Menz FG400 to see how similar they are. Another option that is close to being released is HD Adapt. Based in the testing reviews I have looked at Adapt seems like very similar contender. It seems as though these new strong cutting / great finishing compounds are the future and will hopefully make the old 3+ step correction a thing of the past.

Would I buy this product? Based on more testing and comparisons, I think that this new type of compound definitely has a place in my arsenal. Not only is it a good compound but also a good 1-step polish product. In theory with this compound you could minimize your compounds and polishes needed to keep on hand.

Comment and Questions are welcome.

If you like my videos and reviews like & Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.

*Disclaimer: This product was sent to me to test and review.

Post Thanks / Like

Video #2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review Troy. Have you compared it to HD CUT or Uno?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review from the Master! Sounds like it`s identical to FG400 and is a Deminishing Abrasive? I take it because this was A/M finish that it was on the softer side? I`d like to see how it performs removing actual 1200 sand scratches from OEM surface.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried either of these HD offerings. I have been happy with my M105 & M100. As an weekend warrior and enthusiast I have not had the money / need to extend from what has worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you David.

I would like to try FG400. A few that used both, have told me that this is very similar to FG400 but seems to possibly have a little more "compound" cutting ability.

This is a Diminishing Abrasive type product. If not worked fully the finish is not as good and it is not quite as easy to remove.

I would love to get ahold of a factory finish that I could sand down and test this on. Maybe I need to work on finding a nice test subject to add to this.

Thread Information