Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing

Product Description / Claims:

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is water-based as opposed to solvent based. The water-based formula will not leach out antiozonants or the natural UV absorbers in your tires. This preserves both the look and durability of your tires. Another benefit of a water-based formula is that it dries to the touch. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing does not leave a greasy, slippery finish on tires.

The amount of gloss provided by Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is adjustable to meet your needs. If you prefer a low gloss, natural looking appearance simply apply one coat. If you want more shine then apply 2-3 coats allowing 15-20 minutes between coats to allow dressing to bond and set-up. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is the most versatile tire shine spray and can provide the look to suit anyone’s needs!

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing dries to the touch and will not sling! Even if you apply it a little too thick, you can count on it sticking to your tires. The only thing that sticks is the shine!

Features:

• Water-based formula dries to the touch
    • Will not attract dirt or dust
    • Non-sling formula
    • Variable shine depending on number of coats applied
    • Pleasant fragrance - no chemical smell

Product Details:

Packaging: Typical Black Pinnacle Bottle with Sprayer

Directions: Clearly Stated

Color: Light Yellow

Scent: Tropical (Mango???)

Pricing: $19.99 @ 16oz / $39.99 @ 64oz / $59.99 @ 1Gal

Directions:

1. Always work on a cool surface in the shade

2. Tires should be washed, clean and dry before application

3. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing can be sprayed directly onto the tire or onto an applicator first. If your vehicle has low-profile tires, we recommend spraying directly onto a tire swipe or applicator pad and wiping onto tire. This avoids any unwanted overspray.

4. Wait 15-20 minutes between additional coats.

Warnings or Precautions:

• Keep out of reach of Children
    • Harmful If Swallowed

Testing:

[LIST][*]The tire was cleaned with Pinnacle APC @ 5:1 then dried with a MasterBlaster.
    [*]I primed a yellow foam applicator with 2 sprays and applied the dressing to the tire. (I probably could get away with 1 spray)
    [*]Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing was allowed to dry for 10 minutes then it was very lightly buffed to remove any extra residue.

Applied 50/50 with Tape

Applied 50/50

Comparison Testing:

[INDENT]For a comparison I decided to use my current choice for tire gel Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel. I applied a small amount to my dedicated applicator and then rubbed it into the tire. It was allowed to dry for 10 minutes then it was very lightly buffed to remove any extra residue.

Applied 50/50

Pros:

1. Great Scent

2. Darkens Tires Nicely

3. None Greasy

4. Easy to use

Cons:

1. None at this time

Questions:

1. Durability

Final Thought / Summary:

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing is a great smelling product for your special car that you want to take extra special care of. If you like spray on dressing this may be for you. When compared to the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel, the Pinnacle offering seems much less greasy. Based on personal observation I think that they both darkened the same. Based on that I really believe it will depend on if you prefer gel or spray tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review, as always. I have been happy with every Pinnacle product I have used.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHA Mark
    Great review, as always. I have been happy with every Pinnacle product I have used.

Thanks Mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Troy, the product, as all water borne tire dressings that are liked and accepted is a polyaminosiloxane resin, mixed at a varying percentage of the resin into water, with some added thicken agents, fragrance, etc.

There are literally over a thousands variations of the polyaminosiloxane resin, some are actually included in automotive paint systems.

Good "dressings" such as this one, use a higher grade of the resin and a higher percentage than cheaper ones that are the ones that only last for a couple of days.

Also, the "percentage" of the resin is important and good ones are expensive.

The "rule of thumb" for formulating a quality, water borne siloxane based resin is that the maximum amount of resin that may make up the product is aprox 33 percent. Go above that and the dressing has trouble "curing" or "setting" to a dry coating.

Another "marketing" ploy is that use of "UV" protectorant, which sort of says, "We put a UV blocker in the product". They may well do so, however, since the dressing is a sacrifical coating, the UV blockers quickly evaporate from the product.

The "real" protection from UV rays comes from the additional "gloss" which aids in reflecting the damaging UV rays until it is totally disipated by the heat, etc.

Just a little information from an old purvarer of chemical products and some formulations.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Troy, the product, as all water borne tire dressings that are liked and accepted is a polyaminosiloxane resin, mixed at a varying percentage of the resin into water, with some added thicken agents, fragrance, etc.

There are literally over a thousands variations of the polyaminosiloxane resin, some are actually included in automotive paint systems.

Good "dressings" such as this one, use a higher grade of the resin and a higher percentage than cheaper ones that are the ones that only last for a couple of days.

Also, the "percentage" of the resin is important and good ones are expensive.

The "rule of thumb" for formulating a quality, water borne siloxane based resin is that the maximum amount of resin that may make up the product is aprox 33 percent. Go above that and the dressing has trouble "curing" or "setting" to a dry coating.

Another "marketing" ploy is that use of "UV" protectorant, which sort of says, "We put a UV blocker in the product". They may well do so, however, since the dressing is a sacrifical coating, the UV blockers quickly evaporate from the product.

The "real" protection from UV rays comes from the additional "gloss" which aids in reflecting the damaging UV rays until it is totally disipated by the heat, etc.

Just a little information from an old purvarer of chemical products and some formulations.

Grumpy

Thanks for the info Ron. A little technical but still good stuff.

I would like to add a small update.

The durability is poor. I drove home from work in the rain the day after applying this. (30 min) And by the time I got home it was gone... So it does look nice but it will only be used by me in the summer when there is no major chance of rain.

Thread Information