Post Thanks / Like
    Autoglym Car Glass Polish

I had heard good things about this product over the past couple of years and thought I would give it a try. The windshield on one of our cars is kind of nasty and needed some attention. There`s some wiper build up that I have not been able to remove. I`m going to take a shot at that car later today. I was somewhat anxious to try the product so I went to work on another car that I thought the glass was fairly clean. It turns out that the pad was noticeably dirty after working on it for just a couple minutes. This car has more than 180k miles on it and I suspect its original windshield. Lots of wear marks are visible in the glass from the mono wiper. Windshield displays some sandblasting effect and a few minor stone chips, but is really in pretty good condition given its 14 yrs of duty.

I had no expectation that this Autoglym product was going to make those wear marks fade away as it`s not advertised as such. I think it did improve the appearance of the wear marks slightly.

This glass polish is advertised as a wipe on, dry for 10 mins, wipe off product that is to be used on interior and exterior glass. I did the exterior only.

The product dries quickly, maybe too quickly when using the machine. There is a bit of very fine dust when removing, but removal is simple and there doesn`t appear to be any issue with staining on rubber or plastic trim.

Wear marks clearly visible:

The finished glass looks absolutely outstanding, even on this old windshield. The gloss is great, the surface is absolutely smooth. Now I`m anxious to drive in the rain to see how the wiping action is.

Based upon how dirty my orange pad was, I`m going to need to make this task more of a routine cleaning duty, maybe once or twice a year. There was really a lot of stuff on the glass that was not visible to the eye.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to post your results. IMO this is Autogym`s most underrated product...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I suspect Autoglym has other hidden jewels that we won`t discover due to broad lack of availability here in the USA.

I know others won`t consider this product given the cost ($18) to get it to your front door. I`m pleased with the purchase so far. I have one other dedicated glass polish...I think it`s by 1Z but does not offer the result this product does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Tom. Your glass was pretty dirty huh? - Do you think it`s similar to their SRP? Does it offer any protective qualities?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using this stuff for years. The gloss and reflection this product leaves on the glass is amazing. If I could offer a few tips. Use less product. I know what the instructions say, but if you use a little less product,( especially when doing it by hand with a foam applicator), and work it until it almost disappears completely, the dusting will be dramatically reduced and removal will be a lot easier. As it is a polish, it will stain trim bits. Some APC on a mf will clean it right up. Works great on the interior glass as well for cleaning nasty grime from smoking etc. AG doesn`t say it offers protection David, but it will have a Rain X type effect on the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, yeah, the glass was real dirty. I`m going to need to keep an eye on that. I don`t sense that it leaves any sort of protection behind, but I haven`t driven in the rain yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detailfanatic
    I have been using this stuff for years. The gloss and reflection this product leaves on the glass is amazing. If I could offer a few tips. Use less product. I know what the instructions say, but if you use a little less product,( especially when doing it by hand with a foam applicator), and work it until it almost disappears completely, the dusting will be dramatically reduced and removal will be a lot easier. As it is a polish, it will stain trim bits. Some APC on a mf will clean it right up. Works great on the interior glass as well for cleaning nasty grime from smoking etc. AG doesn`t say it offers protection David, but it will have a Rain X type effect on the glass.

Ken, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I was loading the stuff on the pad. I`ll back off a bit next time I use it.

I was going to attempt another car this afternoon if I can catch up with it. I was going to apply Aquapel following the polishing session. So, you believe something is left behind that leaves a rainx-like action

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    ... I was going to apply Aquapel following the polishing session...

If you go with the Aquapel, will you use something to clean the glass post-AG Glass Polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have use most of AG products and most of them are great. But imo I dont see much value for their glass polish. It does cleans better than regular glass cleaner, but if I were to use it as per the direction, I could have step up with something stronger. It works like a `AIO` for glass imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    If you go with the Aquapel, will you use something to clean the glass post-AG Glass Polish?

Yeah, I will. I think I might wait a week or two for the Aquapel and clean with IPA prior to application.

Thread Information