Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all.

Sorry, this space is going to be used as a work in progress.

Update 1: 5-24-2012 - I am tired of looking at my project. Instead, I am going to continue reviewing the two products.

Update 2: 5-29-2012 - Instead of sleeping, I continue working on reviews. Added a how-to on HD Speed and pictures!

Disclaimer:

I am a detailing enthusiasts and in no way consider or claim myself as an experienced professional. All information is at AT YOUR OWN RISK and without any guarantees. All information provided is meant to be used as reference. Blah blah blah. Essentially, don`t email me telling me you used my method is doggy poop and you somehow burned through your paint and... yeah...

HD Speed

What I was expecting: Easy to use polish/sealant combo. Great to use as a maintenance product where I could quickly and effortless prep and seal the paint in a single step.

Did I get that result: Heck yeah!

First impressions: Pretty awesome. I felt like it gave off a glossier and more slick final product than some of the other products I have used (Meguiar`s D301). As for the protection portion, I felt like it holds up better also. I first tried HD Speed on a friends Corolla before heading off to a car meet. It certainly gave off an amazing shine. Application was fairly quick. And after a day worth of driving in very warm (pretty much hot) Northern California weather, the slickness seemed to be retained.

How I applied it: I used HD Speed on a black (or is it gray) Hexlogic pad on my DA. The cap dispenser is a little finicky, and the product is a little runny, so... over applying product is very easily done. The HD Speed bottle takes a 28/400 dispenser. That`s pretty much the standard size, so I would recommend cleaning one of your old dispenser caps from one of your other products and swapping it onto the HD Speed bottle. It would certainly help with applying product.

How I Used HD Speed:

Cliff Notes:

HD Speed, Black Pad, 6 on the DA

Less is more. I felt that you would be most productive if you didn`t put too much product on the pad. Easy to add more product if you need to. Very difficult to remove product from the pad if you over-apply. After spreading the product on the paint, I did 1.5 sets of up/down and left/rights (that is up/down, left/right, then up/down again) using little to no pressure. For one application of product, I did about 1/3 to 1/2 of the car. If I recall correctly, didn`t reapply product very often.

With Details:

1. Using a black, or grey pad.

2. Apply a little product onto the pad. Less is more. The product spreads really easily. What I did was first apply a very light and very thin circular/ring bead of product on the pad. Use whatever method you like, just make sure you don`t over apply. LESS is MORE. Or even better. Do a dashed ring.

3. Optional, but I think it helps. Use your fingers to spread the product across the pad.

3. Spread the product on the paint using low speed, or no speed at all.

4. Turn the dial up to high speed. (I used 6. I was also using a 6.5" pad.) And work the HD Speed. I worked the material in your typical up/down, then left/right pattern, using a little pressure.

5. Do 1.5-2 passes. That is... 2 sets of up/down/left/right, using medium arm speed (movement) and a little pressure. (Also optional, but I think it helps. I think this makes the polish/sealant easier to remove.)

6. Continue onto the next panel. Add 2-3 pea size drops if needed. I feel like you can get at least two or tree panels for every addition of product. You don`t really need a lot. Do so as needed.

7. You can wipe off the sealant right away, or let it sit for a little bit. Up to you. I tried both (but not in direct sunlight), and both seem to be just as easy to wipe off.

8. That`s it.

In comparison to D301, I felt the product needed a little longer working time, and not by much. I also felt that the D301 was a little easier to remove, however, I think HD Speed has a much better final product. I definitely think it has a bit more gloss at the end and better protection. All and all, I am really happy with HD Speed. I feel more times than not, I would grab the HD Speed to do a quick one-stage detail/maintenance detail.

Pro`s:

Easy to work with.

Spreads easily. Doesn`t really require you to spread product across the pad, though, I don`t think it would hurt.

Polish/Sealant in one. (i.e. saves time, one product, one step, takes care of two things)

Easy to remove.

Less is more. (I am a broke college student. Whatever I got to do to save money!)

Sealant is holding up wonderfully, and the glossiness is awesome!

Con`s:

Product is runny. (Not really a con, more so a warning. Don`t turn on the polisher when not in contact with the paint. And easy to over apply too much product.)

Cap dispenser isn`t really all that ideal.

Does require working time.

-I feel like you do need to work the product. I feel like if you slap the product on like you would with a wax or sealant, it`ll be difficult to remove. Go over an area a few times and I think you are good to go. I don`t really feel like this a con though. I certainly think that with this little bit of extra prep, the sealant will bond to the paint much better.

My thoughts: I love HD Speed. As a enthusiast, I like things that are easy to use and are simple! I certainly feel HD Speed fills this niche. Especially since both the polish/sealant combo plays so well with each other. Killing two birds with one stone is a definite must. Not really concerned with the need to work the product down a little bit, since the additional time is so small. In all honesty, I think I`ll be grabbing this product more often to finish my cars with.

HD Speed In Action

I had to use some Photoshop to fix the image quality since I am horrible with a camera. Honestly, it looks a lot better in person than it does in the pictures!

HD Polish

For another time... but here is a teaser.

BMW Jet Black (at least I think it was). Compounded (left micromarring), then followed by HD Advance Polish. White pad. Two passes (finishing it most of the way down). For the second pass, spritz the pad with a little water, and worked it all the way down. Wiped off. Picture is before any protection.

What I was expecting: Quick and effective polish to follow more aggressive products

Did I get that result: Not really, but I did get a quality finishing polish.

Pros:

Effective.

Can remove micro-marring.

Less is more.

Can spritz with water to pull out more working time with residue on polishing pad

If used correctly, can finish very, very well.

Cons:

Long working time. (About the same as the working time for Menzerna finishing polishes, though I might have used too much product.)

Buffing/wiping can feel a little tacky if the product isn`t worked down.

My thoughts on the product: I don`t feel like the product is either excellent or horrible. I think it is a good product, but don`t really feel like there is anything exceptionally unique about HD Polish. Compared to Meguiars 205, HD Polish takes a little longer to work, but leaves a better finish. A closer equivalent product to HD Polish would be Menzerna`s finishing polishes, either 106FA or 85RD. Though, from what I`ve heard, pairing the Polish with a more aggressive pad could get you more cutting ability. If that`s the case, the product is certainly more versatile than the Menzerna finishing polishes.

However, my experience with HD Polish is extremely limited. Going to try it again when I get a chance.

P.S. Any questions or suggestions would certainly help me write my review... so please fire away on questions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated. Still a work in progress. Please excuse the mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added more stuff. My procedure to use HD Speed and some pictures!!

Thread Information