Post Thanks / Like
    Product Review: Finish Kare #425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine

Introduction:

A quality QD is usually a staple of every "Car Guy". You go to a car show and every one of them will have a bottle to wipe down their car. There are dozens and dozens of options out there. So how do you pick? I know many have a dozen or more in search of the perfect QD that is easy to use and works perfectly all the time. My search lead me to try FK425.

Product Description / Claims:

Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine is a quick detailer with a sophisticated anti-static, anti-corrosive formula. Spray it on and buff your vehicle to an instant glossy finish that stays cleaner longer. Cut down on time spent washing and waxing. Spend more time in the driver`s seat with Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine.

Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine works like a conventional quick detail spray by removing dust, fingerprints, and smudges, but it also protects the paint with anti-corrosive agents and UV inhibitors held in place by polymer resins. This additional protection reinforces your existing wax or paint sealant.

Plus, patented anti-static agents reduce the attraction of dust, so your vehicle stays cleaner between washes. The paint will feel unbelievably slick to the touch and it will have a deep, satisfying gloss.

Product Details:

Packaging: Tall cylindrical bottle and a spray/stream pattern head

Directions: Somewhat Clear

Color: Pink

Scent: Bubble Gum?

Viscosity: Thin

Pricing: $15.99 for 31oz / $39.99 for 1 gallon

Front Label:

Right Side Label:

Left Side Label:

Directions:

1. Spray onto body panel.

2. Wipe clean

The directions are very simple and straight forward. It is basically that easy but I have found that less is more. Using too much can cause streaking.

Warnings or Precautions:

Harmful if swallowed. If swallowed get medical attention immediately. Avoid eye contact. If eye contact occurs, flush eyes with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, seek medical attention. May cause skin irritation.

Testing:

My main use for FK425 is as a drying aid after a wash. For this test I purposefully washes out in the sun to get some minor water spotting to have something to show.

Here we have a clean but water spotted fender.

Here we have my tolls of choice. The #425 in the OEM bottle & sprayer and the Discontinued “Shamrock” MF towel.

I apply 1 sweeping spray on a fender like this.

I spread out the product using almost no pressure on a clean side of my towel.

I then flip to a fresh side of my towel and buff off.

Below are 2 videos I did on other areas to show how #425 works and my technique for application and removal.

FK425 Movie 1.wmv - YouTube

FK425 Movie 2.wmv - YouTube

Pros:

1. Leaves a slick finish.

2. Nice drying aid.

3. Usually easy to use.

Cons:

1. Over application can cause streaking.

2. I have noticed that humidity also has an effect on the overall ease of use.

Questions:

1. Does it really repel dust?

2. Is there a better drying aid out there?

Final Thought / Summary:

FK425 is one of my favorite QD`s and post wash drying aid. It leaves a super slick glossy surface. The smell always has me wanting to spray more than is needed. Although others have reported streaking I have never had any issues. In my opinion it is great for that last final walk around after a maintenance wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. 425 is definitely some of the slickest stuff out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review and thanks for sharing.

I had a friend send me some to sample and I loved the smell, but didn`t really notice any anti-static properties from my limilited use. Seemed to work good too.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a comparison of OID vs FK425 for dust/dirt repelling properties. It was dead even, after two weeks, both sides were dirty and dusty. This was on a DD, so a garage queen might be different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments guys. I know its not a new product, but is one of my go-to products and thought it deserved a write-up.

When first applied I think there is some Anti-Static properties. But after a few days it seems to wear off. Also the static induced from some MF towels tends to counteract the FK425.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Troy - Thanks for the review! This is one product that I keep telling myself that I need to try but I never quite get to it. I rarely touch my car between washes and I generally use DG AW, CG V7, or Meg`s LT for post-wash detailing (after drying). I have it in my head that if I am going to spend a few minutes wiping down the car after washing, I might as well use a spray wax (as opposed to a QD) in order to supplement the protection. With that said, I also keep reading that the gloss enhancers in 425 really leave a very nice appearance...something I could use on LSP`s that are no where near the end.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your review :thumb:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA
    Hey Troy - Thanks for the review! This is one product that I keep telling myself that I need to try but I never quite get to it. I rarely touch my car between washes and I generally use DG AW, CG V7, or Meg`s LT for post-wash detailing (after drying). I have it in my head that if I am going to spend a few minutes wiping down the car after washing, I might as well use a spray wax (as opposed to a QD) in order to supplement the protection. With that said, I also keep reading that the gloss enhancers in 425 really leave a very nice appearance...something I could use on LSP`s that are no where near the end.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your review :thumb:

DG AW is my other go-to for post wash wipe downs. It really just depends on my mood and what I am looking for. As you can see in the videos the FK425 can remove some of the water spotting if you don`t get everything right away. I purposefully washed and dried the truck in the sun to be able to show this. I personally wouldn`t use my DG AW the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    TroyScherer- Good review! I share your enthusiasm for this product.

I never noticed any anti-static properties to speak of :nixweiss Some wit here suggested that I must be "applying it backwards" :chuckle:

But I`ve never had streaking issues with it either, even when I thought I was using too much.

Two things I`d caution people about- 1) mediocre cleaning compared to some other QDs, including its stablemate FK146 and more importantly 2) I`ve had FK425 cause serious problems when applied over certain waxes, including Collinite 476S, nasty pseudo-holograms from apparent solvent-action, and these were *really* awful, couldn`t buff `em away no matter how I tried (it was a real "redo the car" situation). Because of this I now reserve FK425 for use on sealants, never gonna use it on wax again. Yeah, I know, it`s supposed to be great over FK`s Pink Wax :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    TroyScherer- Good review! I share your enthusiasm for this product.

I never noticed any anti-static properties to speak of :nixweiss Some wit here suggested that I must be "applying it backwards" :chuckle:

But I`ve never had streaking issues with it either, even when I thought I was using too much.

Two things I`d caution people about- 1) mediocre cleaning compared to some other QDs, including its stablemate FK146 and more importantly 2) I`ve had FK425 cause serious problems when applied over certain waxes, including Collinite 476S, nasty pseudo-holograms from apparent solvent-action, and these were *really* awful, couldn`t buff `em away no matter how I tried (it was a real "redo the car" situation). Because of this I now reserve FK425 for use on sealants, never gonna use it on wax again. Yeah, I know, it`s supposed to be great over FK`s Pink Wax :nixweiss

Mr. Accumulator- I know and understand what you are saying about the anti-static properties. I believe that these properties are there but are negated by the staic caused by "rubbing" a MF towel over the paint.

I have only noticed streaking once or twice and I know I was using to much and it was very humid.

I definetly agree with the mediocre cleaning but that is why I only use it post wash as a drying aid / final wipe down. I don`t like or use QD as a in between wipe down as I feel it is to risky. For that I use a waterless wash like Ultima WWP.

I have never noticed or had any wax interaction like you have. I have used it on Colli 845 quite a bit as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer
    I definetly agree with the mediocre cleaning but that is why I only use it post wash as a drying aid / final wipe down. I don`t like or use QD as a in between wipe down as I feel it is to risky. For that I use a waterless wash ...

Yeah, you and I are on the same page with that :xyxthumbs

I have never noticed or had any wax interaction like you have. I have used it on Colli 845 quite a bit as well.

It sure surprised me when it happened! I`d been happily using it over both 845 and 476S for quite a while before it bit me, utterly wrecking an otherwise nice detail right at the very end... here I was all ready to do a quick final QD for that extra "pop" and then deliver the car, but nooooo Heh heh and I hardly ever do cars for other people either! Of all the times for something to go haywire..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer

I definetly agree with the mediocre cleaning but that is why I only use it post wash as a drying aid / final wipe down. I don`t like or use QD as a in between wipe down as I feel it is to risky. For that I use a waterless wash like Ultima WWP.

I do really have a use for these light detailers on a regular basis. I either use a waterless (use Adam`s, UWW, P or a spray wax (many almost as easy to use) for real gloss, slickness, and some protection.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information