Thread: Glazes

Post Thanks / Like
    How`s it going guys?

I would like to ask your recommendations for a glaze that can be put on by hand or with a 6" random orbital. Also, what pad do you recommend? I see some postings discuss a blue pad...what brand? The backing plate uses Velcro.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, no replies and it`s only 6 months old, why not.

Here`s what I`ve used with success.

By hand: Poorboy`s Black Hole

Meguiar`s No. 7

The No. 7 you CAN`T let dry or it is a PITA to remove. Black Hole goes on/off very easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried CG`s EZ Creme Glaze with good results by hand..it can be a PITA to remove if it dries sometimes but it does leave behind some good lookin stuff.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum GPSâ„¢ (Glaze, Polish and Seal) All-in-One- this spray formula is a zero dusting, buttery-smooth formula that creates gloss (enhancing, not hiding glaze) and long term protection. Optimum GPSâ„¢ contains micro abrasives that eliminate minor surface imperfections. It provides swirl mark removal, the final polish and a durable wax/sealant protection

Hand Application: spray on a small area and wipe in with a dampened foam or cloth applicator. After slight hazing occurs, wipe-off with a microfiber or terry towel

Machine Application: apply with orbital or rotary polisher; spray once to prime the pad and one spray per panel to create a lubricating barrier between the buffing pad and the surface. Work across the area until product disappears. (1000-1400 RPM for rotary polishers, speed #5 Orbital polisher) wipe down using a light mist of distilled water on a cotton towel
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about 1z final finish or Danase Wet Glaze 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would expect most any glaze to work fine via PC; all mine do and I consider the PC to be just a "fast hand that doesn`t get tired and sloppy".

What I always wonder is..."why use a glaze at all?" I have, gee...maybe six or so on the shelf, but I generally only use them on fresh repaints while I waiting out the curing period.

For a glaze that you can let dry without issues, I`m all about Meguiar`s M05 New Car Glaze. Been using that stuff since forever and it`s about as foolproof as any detailing product I`ve ever tried (just keep it off black trim).

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Accumulator, I rarely ever reach for a glaze. Only use for me is on old single stage paints.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an unused bottle of the original Danase Wet Glaze which I might be willing to part with ...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put some M05 on the repainted front bumpercover of the A8. I wasn`t thrilled by the not-slick feeling, so I tried a *VERY* light application of M34 afterwards. Just a little, being careful that I didn`t "clean off the New Car Glaze". Hey, it worked well! Just a little boost in slickness that made all the diff.

Akimel- I`ve never gotten around to trying my DWG. Eh, I won`t write it off until I do but I`m not on the edge of my seat either.

Dan- Yeah, old-school single stage is different and I`m still all about the Mirror Glaze approach on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I just put some M05 on the repainted front bumpercover of the A8. I wasn`t thrilled by the not-slick feeling, so I tried a *VERY* light application of M34 afterwards. Just a little, being careful that I didn`t "clean off the New Car Glaze". Hey, it worked well! Just a little boost in slickness that made all the diff.

Akimel- I`ve never gotten around to trying my DWG. Eh, I won`t write it off until I do but I`m not on the edge of my seat either.

Dan- Yeah, old-school single stage is different and I`m still all about the Mirror Glaze approach on that.

Accumulator, I`ve been researching M05 for the past few days, and I`ve read quite a few of your posts. I bought a bottle of M05, but I still have some questions on how to use it.

1)You can wax over M05 right?

2)It`s supposed to fill in swirl marks? I applied it to my motorcycle, and didn`t have much luck getting rid of the swirls. I let it thoroughly dry, then hand-buffed it out, applying decent pressure. However, I read on some glaze "how-to`s" that you`re not supposed to let the glaze dry. How`s your experience been with M05?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    ez creme glaze is an excellent product
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer
    Accumulator, I`ve been researching M05 for the past few days, and I`ve read quite a few of your posts. I bought a bottle of M05, but I still have some questions on how to use it.

1)You can wax over M05 right?

Yes. The wax won`t mess up the M05. Just don`t wax aggressively, especially with something that`s solvent-rich.

2)It`s supposed to fill in swirl marks? I applied it to my motorcycle, and didn`t have much luck getting rid of the swirls. I let it thoroughly dry, then hand-buffed it out, applying decent pressure. However, I read on some glaze "how-to`s" that you`re not supposed to let the glaze dry. How`s your experience been with M05?

You`re right, it doesn`t really hide all that effectively (not as well as M07). Like M07 it`s simply a filler (won`t actually correct anything) and it only fills so much. Doing a few coats (more and more gently with each so you don`t do the "like removes like" thing and just clean off the previous coat) can help a *little* bit, but it`s simply no miracle-filler.

M05 is different from other Meguair`s glazes/"pure polishes" in that it really *IS SUPPOSED TO DRY* before you buff it off. The diffs that allow that, and the drying itself, are what makes it so user-friendly. Stuff like M07, that does *not* dry, can be an incredible PIA to use.

Could be that M05`s just not the right stuff for what you`re trying to do. If so, I feel bad that my advice wasted your money, but you can always keep it on the shelf for use after any paintwork.

IMO, the "fill flaws with glaze" thing gets over-stated, there`s only so much you can do. Could be that one of the glaze/filler-rich "swirlmark removers" (and those scare-quotes *ARE* intentional ) will do the job better. Maybe M09 Swirlmark "Remover" v2.0. You could top that with the M05 and then wax and see if that works better; the M09 is a filler with some minimal/ineffective minor abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yes. The wax won`t mess up the M05. Just don`t wax aggressively, especially with something that`s solvent-rich.

You`re right, it doesn`t really hide all that effectively (not as well as M07). Like M07 it`s simply a filler (won`t actually correct anything) and it only fills so much. Doing a few coats (more and more gently with each so you don`t do the "like removes like" thing and just clean off the previous coat) can help a *little* bit, but it`s simply no miracle-filler.

M05 is different from other Meguair`s glazes/"pure polishes" in that it really *IS SUPPOSED TO DRY* before you buff it off. The diffs that allow that, and the drying itself, are what makes it so user-friendly. Stuff like M07, that does *not* dry, can be an incredible PIA to use.

Could be that M05`s just not the right stuff for what you`re trying to do. If so, I feel bad that my advice wasted your money, but you can always keep it on the shelf for use after any paintwork.

IMO, the "fill flaws with glaze" thing gets over-stated, there`s only so much you can do. Could be that one of the glaze/filler-rich "swirlmark removers" (and those scare-quotes *ARE* intentional ) will do the job better. Maybe M09 Swirlmark "Remover" v2.0. You could top that with the M05 and then wax and see if that works better; the M09 is a filler with some minimal/ineffective minor abrasives.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping that the M05 could fill in the swirls, but maybe glazes have been overhyped on their ability to fill in stuff. I think I`ll try the Chemical Guys Creme Glaze at some point. Either way, this was my first time trying a glaze, so I feel the money was well spent on trying something new.

I think next time, I`ll try leaving thinner amounts to dry. After rubbing it in of course. Maybe that way I won`t remove as much when I buff it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer
    I think next time, I`ll try leaving thinner amounts to dry. After rubbing it in of course. Maybe that way I won`t remove as much when I buff it out.
    That`s probably a good idea, the thin applications.

Not all that much point in "rubbing it in", at least not with basecoat/clearcoat paint; the stuff just doesn`t seem to soak into the paint the way it will on single stage. Plus, you might overdo the rubbing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akimel
    I have an unused bottle of the original Danase Wet Glaze which I might be willing to part with ...

You still have that bottle? :dance

Thread Information