Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Review: Dramm Shutoff Valve

Description:

Simply the best shut-off valve available. Dramm`s #300 Brass Shut-Off Valve provides fingertip water control at the end of your greenhouse hose. A quarter turn of the large ergonomic handle and the water is off. Full water flow design. Made in the USA from brass, durable seals and a hard chrome plated ball to provide years of service.

The foam gun has recently become all the rage on the detailing boards. I’ve been a user for maybe a year or so. I have found that removing the quick disconnect off of the trigger sprayer and hooking it up to a shutoff valve works best for me. I no longer use the sprayer – too cumbersome. I also hookup the shutoff valve to my pressure washer so I can easily remove the hose without shutting off the water.

I have two other shutoff valves; one zinc and one brass that I got for a couple dollars at Home Depot.

They work fine; no leaks and lightweight (5.2oz combined) as seen on my scale.

However, water flow is not the greatest as the holes are rather small @ 8mm in diameter according to my little tape measure. (Sorry, the batteries on my digital caliper went dead so I can’t get an accurate measure).

So, I was on a mission to locate a shutoff valve, regardless of material, with the largest hole. While on Detail City, I noticed our forum contributor Leo, DF Towel, an excellent source for microfiber technology, mention the Dramm #300. Apparently he had done a lot of research on the subject. I realized I wasn’t the only crazy one comparing shutoff valves and actually mentioning it! So, based on his recommendation, I bought one on EBay.

Well, I received it and was shocked at what I saw. This thing is HUGE (2" long by 1.25” wide) SOLID and HEAVY.

It weighs half a pound!

How many times have you said to yourself “They don’t make them like they used to.” Well THIS is how they used to make them. It looks like something your grandpa had back in the 20’s or 30’s! The hole is @ 12mm in diameter. The shutoff lever is huge and works great; nice, tight and secure. Very easy to turn on and off with your thumb. It feels like you’re opening and closing a water dam! It’s a real piece of hardware, well constructed and very durable.

Here they are lined up so you can see the holes. The Dramm is to the left. Although not perfectly lined up, the Dramm is 4mm wider in diameter than the other two.

Again, the Dramm on the left.

The one drawback I see is that it may be too heavy for some. But it is so big, that it provides a nice handle for me to grip as I use the foam gun. It fits in my palm (again, I don’t use the sprayer). Also, you don’t want to hit your car with it! But, I’ve never done that. If it is too big and cumbersome for some, it would be ideal to hook up to just your faucet or pressure washer and used that way.

Regardless, I am looking forward to using it attached to my pressure washer, foam gun and then attached to my 1000 micro holed shower nozzle for a final rinse. As now, I will have FULL water pressure with no restriction due to hole size.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Dramm Shutoff Valve

Good Review, I also just recently purchased this Dramm valve and some of the Quick Connects and although they are a bit pricey i am looking forward to the 100% flow they are supose to provide.
    I got mine from here.

http://store.gardengift.com/brasdispair.html

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Spilchy great review. I have had no luck with the zinc shut off from HD the durability is terrible. I have had the little plastic shut off break many times. . I am interested in purchasing the one you have from Ebay,do you have the site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    Good Review, I also just recently purchased this Dramm valve and some of the Quick Connects and although they are a bit pricey...
    I got mine for $10.95 and exact USPS shipping

Thanks for the compliments guys. Charles, I thought the same thing as I`m sure Leo did too! But we can`t have water flow restriction!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Spilchy great review. I have had no luck with the zinc shut off from HD the durability is terrible. I have had the little plastic shut off break many times. . I am interested in purchasing the one you have from Ebay,do you have the site.
    Here is what i came up with on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dramm-300-Brass-...QQcmdZViewItem

But if you check the link above i posted the price is a tad bit lower and they also have all the QC Fittings as well.

SETH do you have a link to the place you got it from for 10.95 that is a great price. I searched the internet for a long time before i finally found them at the place i linked to.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    I got mine for $10.95 and exact USPS shipping

Thanks for the compliments guys. Charles, I thought the same thing as I`m sure Leo did too! But we can`t have water flow restriction!
    Sorry to mess you up, but I decided my post was too off-topic and I removed it.

Anyway, it was/is an interesting well done review.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I found it for $10.95 on the Internet and e-mailed that vendor on EBay that you posted a link for and asked her if she would match it. She said yes and sent me a PayPal invoice that included shipping.

I originally found it HERE

I bought it from the EBay lady because she had cheaper shipping than the $10.95 place where I found it first.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 97F1504x4
    Here is what i came up with on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dramm-300-Brass-...QQcmdZViewItem

But if you check the link above i posted the price is a tad bit lower and they also have all the QC Fittings as well.

SETH do you have a link to the place you got it from for 10.95 that is a great price. I searched the internet for a long time before i finally found them at the place i linked to.

Richard
    I didnt see the link. i think i was posting a sec after you.Are they the same shutoffs?
    If it is not a bother can you tell me what i need to purchase to run my foamgun without the trigger,Brass quick disconnects and their size etc. I`m gonna order from the link you provided. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    I didnt see the link. i think i was posting a sec after you.Are they the same shutoffs?
    If it is not a bother can you tell me what i need to purchase to run my foamgun without the trigger,Brass quick disconnects and their size etc. I`m gonna order from the link you provided. Thanks

Joe here is a link to each of the items i think you will need. The amount of Quick Connects is up to you as far as how many things you want them on. I got the QC Set and 4 extra fittings. I am most likley going to buy even more if I end up getting the Water Filter kit from AG

http://store.gardengift.com/brasdispair.html

http://store.gardengift.com/dram300brass.html

http://store.gardengift.com/dram741malbr.html

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

That Dramm valve looks very similar in design to the valve I`ve been using for a couple years, except mine is silver in color (not sure what material it is made of). I attached the valve to two quick release adapters. I purchased all of these pieces from local Home Depot or Lowes stores.

BTW - Here is an old thread that discussed hose nozzles and shut off valves:
    Craftmans Water Spray Nozzle

Post Thanks / Like

That`s very similar to the Dramm. However, I`d be curious about the diameter of the opening as the key to these buggers is finding one that doesn`t restrict water flow. Thats the selling point with the Dramm and what separates it from the others, not to mention its superior construction.

Can you measure it?

I have searched Lowes and Home Depot and have never seen that one! Since that thread mentions Sears, I should check for shutoff valves. They have excellent nozzles.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spilchy
    That`s very similar to the Dramm. However, I`d be curious about the diameter of the opening as the key to these buggers is finding one that doesn`t restrict water flow. Thats the selling point with the Dramm and what separates it from the others, not to mention its superior construction.

Can you measure it?

I have searched Lowes and Home Depot and have never seen that one! Since that thread mentions Sears, I should check for shutoff valves. They have excellent nozzles.
    I just took my valve assembly apart to look at the openings. My valve`s apeture looks much smaller than the one on your Dramm. It also doesn`t weigh quite as much (3.2 ounces). I may have to look into purchasing one of the Dramm`s...

Post Thanks / Like

By the way guys the link i posted to the shut off valve and the Quick Disconnects is run by Andrew Dramm and they stand behind all there products and have great customer service.

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

For those that may be interested in buying either the Dramm Valve or any of the Quick Connects, go to the site i listed and you can get a 15% discount by putting in this discount code "detail15"

It is good until April 30, 2006

Richard
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

That`s nice the discount is being offered, but the shipping charge is outrageous. For those 2 small connectors, the shipping is more expensive than the parts. Over $12 for 2 connectors is a little steep for me!

I`ll wait to see if Leo at DF Towel will stock them. He currently has the shutoff valve on his site for sale http://www.dftowel.com/ordermisc.html
    Seth

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information