Post Thanks / Like

portable Car Wash WATER Softener

I have my eye on this WS product that Adams . but i would like to know if you guys are seeing a significant difference from other water softener sources ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: portable Car Wash WATER Softener

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!

one of my main problems if having to wash in the sun before pulling into the garage to dry. this looks like i woulkd have to worry sooo much about keeping the surface wet on our HOT miami weather.
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

i wonder if you can connect it to a foam gun, I might take advantage of the 20% off code.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s an in-line filter so connecting that with the FG should be no problem.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

So I am wondering would any in line filter do just as good? Adams says that this is a water filter that removes minerals in the water that cause water spots. And other filters I have looked at also remove bacteria and contaniments aswell for 1/2 the price.

So I am also curious if any one has used the Adams filter or any other filter and what they see for results.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I`m an advocate of using softened water, and like this idea. I have a question though. How long does this unit hold its charge (how many gallons)? Levels of hardness in water vary from place to place.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it was 500 gallons and something of about 5 years?
    • JoYRiiDE
    //2007 BMW 335i e90 Sedan // Montego Blue // Black.Aluminum//

Post Thanks / Like

:wink: is Adam finally back, he has been out all year long , usually heather picks up the calls now. :book: he needs to make a demonstration video of the WS system.

God drives a Cadillac.
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve not used this product so I cannot speak for how well it does. But, you asked the question
    I am wondering would any in line filter do just as good?
    I did some research on this a while back because I was interested in a similar product. The answer to your question is that a regular in line filter like those you can get at most home improvement centers will probably not do as well as this or similar products. These softener products have a filter that has been inpregnated with a resin (ususally sodium) that replaces calcium and magnesium ions in the water with sodium ions. It is the suspended calcium and magnesium ions that cause most cases of water spots/hardness.

What scares me off of these products is perhaps my lack of knowledge. It just seems wrong to spray a car with sodium (salt) water. I know it may not be much coming from these filters but I just don`t know much or little it is.

Back to something I said earlier
    ...a regular in line filter like those you can get at most home improvement centers will probably not do as well as this or similar products
    That comment is based on you expecting a filter as purchased to do as well as this product. However, I wonder if you buy a filter from Home Depot and soak the cartridge in a brine water made from water softener pellets (salt/sodium) pellets, if it will work as a portable water softener.
    The 80/20 rule applies to detailing.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

As is common, I don`t really know what I`m talking about, but that has never stopped me in the past.
    1. That device sure looks like an in-line filter rather than a true water softener.
    2. In a true water softener system, isn`t the salt/brine water just used to flush/clean the stuff used in a softener to attract the iron from the water. I`m not explaining it very well, but I think the iron is attracted to and held by some type of crystal and then the iron is flushed from those crystals by the salt solution. I don`t think you ever actually use any of the brine water for other than cleaning and it is flushed down the drain.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    As is common, I don`t really know what I`m talking about, but that has never stopped me in the past.
    1. That device sure looks like an in-line filter rather than a true water softener.
    2. In a true water softener system, isn`t the salt/brine water just used to flush/clean the stuff used in a softener to attract the iron from the water. I`m not explaining it very well, but I think the iron is attracted to and held by some type of crystal and then the iron is flushed from those crystals by the salt solution. I don`t think you ever actually use any of the brine water for other than cleaning and it is flushed down the drain.

Charles
    I have a 50,000 grain water softener in my truck, and if I`m working in an area that has particularly hard water (like Santa Barbara) the unit will usually be completely "dead" in about 8 hours. I use it inline with a pressure washer and once it`s not producing softened water it takes about an hour and a half to recharge using extra coarse rock salt.

I`m not a chemist, but Charles explanation sounds plausable, and I believe that the rock salt cleans the resin that these softeners are filled with during the recharging process. The resin is never discharged into or through the machine.

Water is truly a science unto itself. :whistling

Post Thanks / Like

It appears the Adam`s softner is similar to a soft water filter system like this http://www.bojifilters.com/. It uses a resin based filter that can be regenerated with a brine solution. The Adam`s unit doesn`t appear to have a very large capacity. Remember you will have to regenerate it after ~ 100 gal. and of course this all depends on how hard your water is to start with.

The filter resin exchanges Ca and Mg ions for Na. Removing the calcium and magnesium from the water reduces its hardness. When the resin becomes depleted from hard water, you backflush the resin bed with a strong brine solution to regenerate it. Water softener salt is relatively cheap to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

:wink:

wow there is so much to learn about hard water.

Post Thanks / Like

A water softner has resins...cation...anion resins...they hold the mineral molecules...as in ionization..making water deionized...I have units for making water for my salt water reef tanks....then I reconstitute with reef salt....my units have seperate chambers for each type of resin...the home softners use a combo of both in one tank and use a salt wash to clean them....some use poatasium also to clean resin...you do not get the brine in your output water....it is flushed out to drain....

depending on the Total Disolved Solids in the water is the lifetime of the resin...the portable units shown are probally using a disposable cartridge..so when exhausted you replace them...

you can have your water checked to see what your TDS is...or you can use a water conductivity meter....but the harder the water....to shorter the life of the resins....

example....if your water is 600ppm TDS..your resin will die fast compared to water 100ppm....so best to have water checked to see if cost effective..as some resin cartridges are not cheap...

here is something like I have...mine is on a larger scale....lol

http://www.kentmarine.com/waterfilters/d200r.html

Post Thanks / Like

I used this filter
    http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm with the softener cartridge. I recharge it in rock salt water weekly. I don`t get spot free but it does greatly reduce the problems with spotting. I do mainly washes in my mobile business and the filter does what I need it to do. Also since I use a 12volt pump the flow drops too much if I use the filter inline. Instead I filter the water when I fill my tank.

Thread Information