Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Order of operation

Kind of new to the "real" detailing thing. I have purchased a new 7427 portcable polisher. I have done extensive reading on polishing with a machine but a am still a little unsure of the exact steps. I understand as follows:

1-Was car with quality car soap (Meg)
    2-If car does not need mild compunding the polish. Use cutting pad based on paint damage.
    3-use a qualit per wax cleaner.
    4-Glaze
    5-wax car with a carnuba based product (PS-21)

Is this method correct?

What products can be used with a machine. Do they have to specify for machine purposes only?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Order of operation

Quote Originally Posted by TomG
    Kind of new to the "real" detailing thing. I have purchased a new 7427 portcable polisher. I have done extensive reading on polishing with a machine but a am still a little unsure of the exact steps. I understand as follows:

1-Was car with quality car soap (Meg)
    2-If car does not need mild compunding the polish. Use cutting pad based on paint damage.
    3-use a qualit per wax cleaner.
    4-Glaze
    5-wax car with a carnuba based product (PS-21)

Is this method correct?

What products can be used with a machine. Do they have to specify for machine purposes only?
    1) wash
    2) clay & lube
    3)if the paint is in good condition no swirls/marring go to polishing use a polishing pad don`t use a cutting pad
    4)seal or glaze what ever you perfer a sealer has more durability
    5) wax with carnuba for wetness/deth if this is what you prefer

Post Thanks / Like

Coud you recomend products ie polish, cleaners, wax for machining?

Post Thanks / Like

If you contact Steve @ PB`s he can help with a line of products that work well with one another.

if you have time use the search and type PB`s you will find a wealth of information on the entire PB`s line.

PB`s polish/cleaners: pro polish, polish w/carnuba, polish w/sealant, polish w/ carnuba blue
    Steve has a warehouse sale going on some of the products so you can get`em at a discount.

Wax: natty`s for lighter vehicles, natty`s blue for darker vehicles you can apply the wax by machine i`m not sure if their is any difference then applying by hand.

the products go a long way so be sure to get what you need and only what your gonne use.

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    1) wash
    2) clay & lube
    3)if the paint is in good condition no swirls/marring go to polishing use a polishing pad don`t use a cutting pad
    4)seal or glaze what ever you perfer a sealer has more durability
    5) wax with carnuba for wetness/deth if this is what you prefer
    I`m thinking . . .
    1) Wash
    2) Clay using lube
    3) Compound with cutting pad (not usually necessary - depends on paint condition)
    4) Polish with polishing pad (if necessary - depends on paint condition and if compounding was just done)
    5) Use sealant and/or wax

You can`t go wrong with almost any product line that the sponsors of this site sell. They`re all quality products.

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys (SSR, Pro Polish, EX-P, Natty`s, QW+), Four Star (UPP) and Optimum (Car Wax, Polish). I tend to favor the SSR`s for polishing and the UPP for sealing. Just my $.02 .....

Post Thanks / Like

Great Thanks. I will try contacting Poor boys and see what they recomend. I currently have Zaino bros but want to try somtething different. I noticed nobody mentioned them, why?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Thanks. I will try contacting Poor boys and see what they recomend. I currently have Zaino bros but want to try somtething different. I noticed nobody mentioned them, why?
    The people that replied to your post just referred you to the products they use. None of them happened to use Zaino. No other reason, no ulterior motive, no market monopolizing.
    If I may ask, why do you want to change from the Zaino products?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

The zaino products that I have used have done an excellent job. I would like to try something different on my other cars. The thing that I cannot understand regarding the zaino products if they offer a swirl remover, polish and Gloss enhancer. From the research that I have been doing regarding proper detailing it seems as though there are separate steps for polishing, glaze, pre wax cleaning, then waxing. Zaino only offers a polish, swirl remover and gloss - Why? i am curious if the previous more extensive method offers greater results.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The zaino products that I have used have done an excellent job. I would like to try something different on my other cars. The thing that I cannot understand regarding the zaino products if they offer a swirl remover, polish and Gloss enhancer. From the research that I have been doing regarding proper detailing it seems as though there are separate steps for polishing, glaze, pre wax cleaning, then waxing. Zaino only offers a polish, swirl remover and gloss - Why? i am curious if the previous more extensive method offers greater results.
    A common problem with the understanding of the Zaino system is their calling their sealant a polish. Where most company`s polishes actually polish the surface by either a chemical or abrasive action, Zaino "Polish" is a last step product that isn`t going to correct paint defects.
    I`m not familiar with their Swirl Remover, but chances are that they go directly from the swirl remover to the polish or LSP. Two steps rather than three as many/most of us do. As to whether there is any benefit to doing a swirl remover, polish, LSP routine, I don`t really know. When I used Zaino, the swirl remover was not available and the Zaino would shine, but would also show any flaws that had not been removed by either a swirl remover or polish.
    I do think that on a car that is in pretty good shape to start with, the use of a mild swirl remover without fillers could be followed immediately with a LSP.
    My routine of Meg`s #9, Klasse AIO, UPP was to; 1. Remove swirls (The #9). 2. Clean and polish the surface (The KAIO). 3. Protect the paint (The UPP).
    If you use a swirl remover that has no fillers, the KAIO step shouldn`t be needed. I wasn`t comfortable that #9 was filler free so I used the KAIO just prior to the UPP. I was most interested in KAIO`s cleaning ability, its polishing qualities were a bonus.
    Zaino is a good product, but I never felt it was all that special. I never had any interest in applying 10 or 20 coats as is so popular and durability isn`t much of a factor to me since I do something to my vehicle about every month anyway.
    Today as a matter of fact. It got all the way up to 18 degrees so I washed and waxed the van.
    DIY spray wash to get rid of the nasty stuff and S&W in the garage where it was about 55 when I started, 48 when I finished. I don`t do snow washes.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles What is KAIO - I assume Klasse All In One which is a pre wax cleaner. It seems as though a lot of people like this product - what does it actually do? What about UPP?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Charles What is KAIO - I assume Klasse All In One which is a pre wax cleaner. It seems as though a lot of people like this product - what does it actually do? What about UPP?
    Check out this link for information on what many/most of the acronyms refer to.
    Yes, KAIO was used for Klasse AIO. I used to refer to it as AIO, but several people took that to mean any All In One product. KAIO was suggested so I thought I would try it.
    KAIO is an excellent cleaner/polish that leaves some acrylic protection behind. It seems to work very well as a prep for any sealant or wax I have used with it.
    If it has any abrasives, they must be very mild. I think it does its job chemically. The protection it leaves behind might be a little questionable as to its durability, but since I don`t use it as a LSP, that is of no concern to me.
    UPP is the 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection. A sealant with good durability and a great look.
    A swirl remover, KAIO, UPP and you will step back and go wow. 2 or 3 coats of UPP will sometimes add a little more, but I usually just do 1 each month, anymore.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with Charles about the KAIO. It`s cleaning ability is incredible amd more chemical than abraisive. I`ve never used it as an LSP and usually follow with a sealant (UPP)/wax (Natty`s or S100). If the surface has minor swirls, I`ll polish, clean and seal. As Charles said, step back and be amazed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by U2CruDawg
    Absolutely agree with Charles about the KAIO. It`s cleaning ability is incredible amd more chemical than abraisive. I`ve never used it as an LSP and usually follow with a sealant (UPP)/wax (Natty`s or S100). If the surface has minor swirls, I`ll polish, clean and seal. As Charles said, step back and be amazed.
    It almost sounds as if KAIO is very similair to the great hyped PO85RD as that the cutting of the product is very minimal ? Also do glazes have any polishing or cutting abilities and is it best to apply a glaze by 7424? I like to do my final waxing by hand but if applying a glaze by pc is better I am game.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^Any cutting ability will be in the pad choice and machine with glazes, though some commercial glazes are an all-in-one cut&glaze. (not K-All-in-One, which is like a paint cleaner with acrylic protection).
    Brenton Dickieson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information