The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer Use?

This might not be the right forum, but I figured a pressure washer was a car wash accessory, right?

Anyway, I own a gas powered Campbell Hausfeld, 6 or 6.5 hp, 2200 lb. unit that I use for cleaning a deck, house siding and boats.
    I`m considering using it on the vehicle next summer for wheels, tires, wheel wells. I`m not sure yet about using it on the paint.
    So far I have used deck wash and a Turtle Wax pressure washer soap on the houses, (steel siding), with decent results.
    What I am looking for is suggestions on products that would be OK for the vehicles. Any suggestions?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure Washer Use?

Charles I have great luck at janitorial supply houses for this type of stuff...they had a soap at mine that was for houses, RV`s and the likes for pressure washers
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    Charles I have great luck at janitorial supply houses for this type of stuff...they had a soap at mine that was for houses, RV`s and the likes for pressure washers
    Thanks.
    Menard`s, Home Depot, Lowe`s, Wal*Mart all have quite a few chemicals, but I`m guessing that some are preferred over others for various reasons.
    What I think I`m looking for is brand names and your opinion of the specific products.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Charles: I use a 13oo psi electric model on vehicles.

IMO, it is almost useless on home applications due to a lack of power but seems to work perfect for auto use.

I usually pressure wash the whole vehicle, then apply the respective cleaning agent to the area (wells, tires, wheels), lightly agitate, and pressure wash. For gunked up noses and lower panels, I will hit them with a bug squash type product, then pressure wash clean. Finally, I will use a foaming attachment (came with mine, but a foam gun will be sufficient), soak the whole vehicle in foam, wash as usual, then pressure rinse.

With 2200 psi, the biggest disclaimer I can offer you is use a wide spray setting to disperse some of the pressure.

My pressure washer has been one of the best investments of mine this year.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=GSRstilez]Charles:
    With 2200 psi, the biggest disclaimer I can offer you is use a wide spray setting to disperse some of the pressure.QUOTE]

what sean said or dial the pressure down and you should not affect the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    This might not be the right forum, but I figured a pressure washer was a car wash accessory, right?

Anyway, I own a gas powered Campbell Hausfeld, 6 or 6.5 hp, 2200 lb. unit that I use for cleaning a deck, house siding and boats.
    I`m considering using it on the vehicle next summer for wheels, tires, wheel wells. I`m not sure yet about using it on the paint.
    So far I have used deck wash and a Turtle Wax pressure washer soap on the houses, (steel siding), with decent results.
    What I am looking for is suggestions on products that would be OK for the vehicles. Any suggestions?

Charles
    For the tires, wheels, undercarriage, etc. I`d recommend Poorboys APC. For the paint, any reputable car wash soap will suffice.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    Charles:
    With 2200 psi, the biggest disclaimer I can offer you is use a wide spray setting to disperse some of the pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximv1
    what sean said or dial the pressure down and you should not affect the paint.
    My unit doesn`t have a true pressure adjustment, but it does have a high or low setting. The low pressure is intended for applying the soap, but I put a shutoff valve in the soap feed line so I can have a low pressure rinse if I want to.
    Actually, I`m considering buying the rotating 0 degree nozzle for even more pressure.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Eddie
    For the tires, wheels, undercarriage, etc. I`d recommend Poorboys APC. For the paint, any reputable car wash soap will suffice.
    So what about ratios of APC or car shampoo? Should I just figure out what the dilution ratio would be if I was using a spray bottle or wash bucket?
    I think the products I purchase for pressure washer use recommended 20 to 50 to 1 dilution.
    Since regular car shampoo is about 128:1 for use with a mitt or brush, is that enough strength when used with the pressure washer?
    Maybe I`ll just use it on wheel wells and stay out of trouble.

Charles

Pressure Washing Mafia Squirtgun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    My unit doesn`t have a true pressure adjustment, but it does have a high or low setting. The low pressure is intended for applying the soap, but I put a shutoff valve in the soap feed line so I can have a low pressure rinse if I want to.
    Actually, I`m considering buying the rotating 0 degree nozzle for even more pressure.

Charles
    Please stay away from rotatiing nozzles.They can and will scar most any surface they are pointed at if you don`t know what you are doing. We own/operate a professional pressure washing company and have only used a rotating nozzle one time in 4 yrs. They are great for removing paint from curbs and side walks,but not much else.
    Karvonen`s Pro Clean
    Southwest,Ga.
    Pressure Washers Mafia

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtgun
    Please stay away from rotatiing nozzles.They can and will scar most any surface they are pointed at if you don`t know what you are doing. We own/operate a professional pressure washing company and have only used a rotating nozzle one time in 4 yrs. They are great for removing paint from curbs and side walks,but not much else.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    "If you don`t know what you are doing" pegged me correctly.
    My main interest in the rotating nozzle was to clean the pontoons on my pontoon boat, (Like where else would they be?), but I don`t want to blow a hole in them.

Charles

Pressure Washing Mafia Squirtgun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CharlesW,
    In my picture archive I have a few dozen that show how much damage a rotating nozzle/turbo nozzle can do.They include cars,concrete,vinyl siding and brick.It`s just sad what these things will do to most surfaces. I have one picture of a 2005 mustang that was washed with a turbo.The paint on the hood and front bumper was removed completely.
    They have their place,but IMO opinion not near cars or boats.
    Karvonen`s Pro Clean
    Southwest,Ga.
    Pressure Washers Mafia

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtgun
    CharlesW,
    In my picture archive I have a few dozen that show how much damage a rotating nozzle/turbo nozzle can do.They include cars,concrete,vinyl siding and brick.It`s just sad what these things will do to most surfaces. I have one picture of a 2005 mustang that was washed with a turbo.The paint on the hood and front bumper was removed completely.
    They have their place,but IMO opinion not near cars or boats.
    Kool!
    Just saved me $50 and possibly a whole lot of problems. A pontoon with a hole in it would probably not be a good thing.

Charles

Thread Information