Post Thanks / Like

body shop safe products

can you guys list some products that are body shop safe and contain no silicones? i need everything like tire shine, detail spray, wax, polish, etc. also is it best to use these products instead of ones that contain silicones? i know i`ve used products with silicones and i am having my truck repainted and i was just wondering what i should do before i take it to the painter?

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: body shop safe products

If you want to detail your ride before you go to the body shop, silicone free products are best. You can contact any auto supply store for a host of them. My favourites are Farecla G6/G3+G10. A solid shine on lighter colour cars, but not as wet or slick as some synthetics and waxes.

A lot rides on how much you are paying for the body work and refinishing. A good shop will not only clean EVERY bit of wax and silicone from every mm of the car, but will also add some fish-eye remover in the prep coat and base/to coat. I recently detailed a truck that had fantastic clear coat, very thick, because it was covering up a poor prep job.

If you are worred about it, consider stripping the car yourself before you take it in. Wash with Dawn or Sunlight and try to get into every crevice. Then get a paint cleaner from a local auto supplier. Zep`s ID Oranger/Red, DuPont Klene-Sol, or Macro products work fine. They say a cloth is fine, but I suggest a role of cheapo paper towel, folded in four (1/2 and 1/2 again). Then apply the product to one side of the paper towel and then make a panel wet. Use a second side of the paper towel to wipe it off. If you see a little brown or yellow, keep doing it until the panel comes clean. Also use the cleaner on trips and crevices, but they won`t come clean and will leave black on the towel every time. Just do it 2-3 times.

For after care, talk to the body shop. The jury is out still, but I`m of a mind to leave the paint without synthetic sealants or natural waxes for a month or two. Your body guy may recommend that you wet sand, buff & polish after the paint job. Talk to him/her to find out, but if you have nothing to go on, use a body-shop safe polish (like Farecla), and wait to put sealants and waxes on later.

Just some thoughts.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. i should clarify that i`m not getting my whole truck repainted just some rust repaired. i`m taking it to the same shop that painted it for me a couple years ago. they wetsand and polish it for me. i think i might just tell them that it has alot of wax on it first and see what they say. i`m just kindof worried about the tire shine i use. i use a mix of meguirs nxt insane shine, no touch seriously wet, and shining monkey.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_01
    i think i might just tell them that it has alot of wax on it first and see what they say.
    Good move! The body shop people have to deal with the silcone and sealant problems every day. If they know you have something that they need to be sure to take care of, it will help them a bunch. While they usually do a pretty thorough cleaning as part of their prep, knowing that you have more than the normal amount of stuff to watch for, they can use the products needed to be sure to have the surface ready to paint.

Charles

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as they are in the know and you are confident in them, it shouldn`t be a problem.
    Brenton Dickieson

Thread Information