Post Thanks / Like
    All,

Product: Zymol sponge (3-pack)

Price: $15.95 (shipped) from Autoanything.com

Packaging: be careful: the plastic packaging has two staples in it. I opened (read: ripped) it open above my stack of MFs and could not find one of the staples. Had to look for it for a minute, so be careful there...

Feel: feels good in the hand, very soft, softer than I had imagined.

Application: this thing hold water, a LOT of water. I filled a 5 gallon bucket like I normally do and almost used all of it. That`s about twice as much as with my ShMITT. Not necessarily a bad thing, but an interesting observation. I find, compared with the ShMITT, that it`s a much more accurate washing tool. I would always miss spots around the door handles with the ShMITT, but not with the Zymol sponge. Accurate, easy to handle, and never heavy. Also, it`s quite well built. My ShMITT would start ripping/tearing after going over lettering, but the Zymol sponge just goes right over it.

All in all, a very nice product and I think I am going to make the permanent switch. It`s a LOT cheaper than a ShMITT and I feel like I got a better wash out of it. Great value, great product, highly recommended!

Here some pics!!!

Results...

:spot

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed - thanks for a good review. Shmitt is not even close IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    HMMM, I think I`m going to try one.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does it compare to something like the Proline GS from Lowes?
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    How does it compare to something like the Proline GS from Lowes?

Not sure as I have never used a grout sponge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grout sponge at Home Depot is less than 2 bucks each. FWIW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Grout sponge at Home Depot is less than 2 bucks each. FWIW

as is the proline GS from Lowes...

to be honest with you, i didn`t find this (zymol) sponge to be any better than the Lowes GS (there are a few factors but one is there are many holes for debris/dirt to bury itself into, where as the zymol sponge does not). i`ll keep using the zymol sponge and time will tell if i change my mind/thoughts on it. the HD or Lowes GS does the job equally as well, and is cheaper to boot...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen and tried other sponges that were less "holey" or is that holy? whatever, I`ve never had any issues with dirt burying in, I do spray the car down with the hose first - or my Karcher if it`s really bad, down right nasty gets the coin wash before I get another acre of land in the driveway. I`ve always thought the GS released dirt/crud pretty easy into the rinse bucket. But I ain`t arguing over a sponge when there`s so much else going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I`ve seen and tried other sponges that were less "holey" or is that holy? whatever, I`ve never had any issues with dirt burying in, I do spray the car down with the hose first - or my Karcher if it`s really bad, down right nasty gets the coin wash before I get another acre of land in the driveway. I`ve always thought the GS released dirt/crud pretty easy into the rinse bucket. But I ain`t arguing over a sponge when there`s so much else going on.

that`s cool, if you like whatever sponge (or wash media) you`re using than keep using it (i also have used and like the HD GS as well, but am referring to the zymol sponge). everyone is going to have their own experiences and opinions...

Post Thanks / Like
    great review, been trying to find these zymol sponge...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    as is the proline GS from Lowes...

to be honest with you, i didn`t find this (zymol) sponge to be any better than the Lowes GS (there are a few factors but one is there are many holes for debris/dirt to bury itself into, where as the zymol sponge does not). i`ll keep using the zymol sponge and time will tell if i change my mind/thoughts on it. the HD or Lowes GS does the job equally as well, and is cheaper to boot...

With a GS, you have to compress the sponge to have it suck up water into itself. Does the same thing have to be done with the Zymol unit?

BTW: nice review P1et
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    With a GS, you have to compress the sponge to have it suck up water into itself. Does the same thing have to be done with the Zymol unit?

BTW: nice review P1et

Agreed, nice review P1et.

You do not have to compress the Zymol sponge for it to suck up water. It is so soft, that it does it itself. If you submerge a GS and take it out of the bucket, it keeps it`s shape. A soaked Zymol sponge goes limp and will not keep it`s shape, that`s how soft it is. When I am not using the Eurow shag weave mf for washing, I`m using a Zymol sponge. It gets into cracks and crevices a lot easier than an GS. I like the Zymol sponge better than a GS. But I will admit, the GS is MUCH more durable and less expensive than the Zymol sponge. Zymol sponges only last me one season at the most. When you`re done washing, make sure all of the water is squeezed out or else it will turn brown and get hard. I think I only have about 30 Zymol sponges left, that`s how much I like them, FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM`ed you David...

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome review P1et! Exactly what I`ve been looking for.
    "Dad I want to buy a car" "You want a car? "Yes Dad I do" "Go buy one"

Rest in peace Mom & Dad. I love you and miss you too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think with the literally of 100`s who have used either the HD or Lowes GS and have have good results with it (Spoiledman comes to mind ) over the many years, i don`t think there is a need to switch. they all (including the zymol sponge) serve the same purpose with equally good results (like anything else these days, some things will have their +`s and -`s with some), but in the end you`ll save some $`s (sometimes and in general, the name is what you pay for). more power to whatever YOU decide YOU would like to use...

BTW, nice review P1et...

P.S. where are you SPOILEDMAN? we miss you...

Thread Information