Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for the Best Silicone, Wax, and Grease Remover

Hello all, I`m a newbie. Hope this is the right forum, if not, mods please move it.
    We developed a paint renewal system in Vancouver, BC and I`ve moved to the East to open a dealership there. We have different suppliers and supplies.
    I need a product that will remove ALL silicone, wax, and dirt from paint. Right now I`m using a Ducan solvent, before that Tumbler Silicone Remover. They work ok, but lots of labour. We apply with paper towel and keep using it until the paper towel comes white. Sometimes it takes 5-6 applications or more, and that is after an acid wash.
    Sounds strange, but that`s how exact we need to be. Our final product, is fantastic. But it is a little cranky, especially with silicone residue.
    So....
    I know this is more of an "autobody" type deal, but autobody people aren`t as cool as detailers and I`m hoping some experts are lurking.

Anyone?

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the Best Silicone, Wax, and Grease Remover

try going to your local paint and body supplier. They have many products that can remove silcone,wax,grease as a final step before paintwork or for what you need. Let them know what your doing and they can help you out.

You could also wash the vehicle with dawn dish soap. I`ve heard that it strips whatever is on the car but i wouldn`t trust it if you need it to be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Top of the Line sells a product called Akrya Klean by Hi-Temp.

http://www.topoftheline.com/silicone-wax-remover.html
    `04 WRX - Aspen White - modded for the twisties :shift

Post Thanks / Like

TrueDetailer, I`ve heard people talk about Dawn. I`ve been using Sunlight since it strips some grease and is great on windows in places with hard, mineralized water--doesn`t leave streaks or water spots. Is Dawn really as good (i.e, as bad for suraces) as people say?

FujiFast, have you actually used the Akrya Klean by Hi-Temp? It seams awfully cheap, almost like a general degreaser rather than a specialized hand application silicone remover.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with talking to the body shop folks and trying out some of the solvent they use to remove wax, silicone, etc. before they paint a vehicle. I have seen mention of a few different brands, but I don`t recall any specific names. It wouldn`t hurt to ask a reputable body shop as to what it is that they use. Good luck.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Tryin to get in the swing
    Post Thanks / Like

Akyra or Top of the LIne Klean works very well . Price and effectiveness is why their products sell so well .
    Also could try body-solv , I think Meguiars makes it .
    Thing is if you have made your own sealant line , why in the world would you not have your own prep to accompany it ?
    Just promoting your sealant ? :goodluck:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapiJ
    Thing is if you have made your own sealant line , why in the world would you not have your own prep to accompany it ?
    Just promoting your sealant ? :goodluck:
    Thanx for the tips, I`ll follow them through. I didn`t know Mequiars had that product, though it is hard to memorize all 4385 steps in their system.

Coupla things in response. We didn`t make a "sealant line," and I`m not promoting it (I wouldn`t dare break rules ). Our product is not for sale, and only available through controlled dealerships, which I don`t see money for. I guess if I was trying to secretly sell dealerships, I wouldn`t be looking for advice!

I bought a dealership at a discount knowing that our final product was good, but the prep system wasn`t finalized and still in the test phase. The final product works in the clear, taking out scratches, and bonds to the base. So we gotta be clean, since this stuff will pull off uncured paint and be infected by most anything.

We have an adequate prep product and requires sweat/time, but I`m looking for better. I`m hoping to shave a 1/2 hour off our prep time so we can be competitive in a dampening economy. The result is great, but I want to keep pricing in the $150-$250 CAD/$125-$210 USD range. Shaving a 1/2 hour could do that.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re looking for a wash type system that will remove all the sealants, waxes, silicone, etc as well as generally decontaminate the paint, Valugard`s ABC system is supposed to do it. It might take less time/be less tedious than stripping everything off traditionally.

For "spot work" their New Car Prep ought to do fine. I use it exclusively now as it contains no solvents that are potentially harmful.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information