Post Thanks / Like

Need tips & tricks for 303

I seem to have gotten the hang of applying the 303 to the tires. After two applications they are a matte, but rich black. I used paper towels to dry the 303 off the sidewalls. It`s the interior I`m having problems with. I reapplied 303 to my interior tonight by spraying it on and using a pre-soaked (with 303) sponge to spread it around. Then I took a large terry bath towel and flipping & refolding it often, buffed the panel for a few minutes before moving on to the next area. I sprinkled the panels w/water to check for beading, but the water flattened out like before. Then I used the sponge to apply 303 to a small area on a plastic sprayer that is a few years old. I didn`t get the surface wet w/303, just a nice coating. After buffing the area with a paper towel, I sprayed it with the hose. The area repelled the water and what did remain on the surface was in tight beads.

Is it because my interior plastic/vinyl is heavily textured, or am I missing something??
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need tips & tricks for 303

Don,

Is the areas that you are working on really clean? I have found any problems that I have had with any dressing on vinly is that its not clean causing streaking and areas that look like they did not get any product....Also I always spray the applicator then wipe that area and buff after, this seems to work for me!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    Don,

Is the areas that you are working on really clean? I have found any problems that I have had with any dressing on vinly is that its not clean causing streaking and areas that look like they did not get any product....Also I always spray the applicator then wipe that area and buff after, this seems to work for me!
    Appearance-wise the interior looks fantastic, I`m just wondering about the (lack of) beading. My post is a copy of the email I sent 303, and here is their response:

Hello Don,

Sometimes on a surface the 303 makes it so repellent it `sheets` instead of beads. On thought.

Even on those surfaces though, if you "mist" the surface with water so little droplets get on it, you can perceive the repellency, anyway usually. I notice you said in the first instance you sprinkled a few droplets on and in the second "sprayed" instead. That may be part of the difference.

For example, before I have buffed out my windshield with buffing compound (removes all the water marks, makes the surface COMPLETELY clean). Then, still using the buffer, misted some 303 on the windshield, then spread it with the buffer on low, then turned up the buffer and polished it in. (leaves a SUPER repellent finish). Then, if I hit it with the hose, water just SHEETS. If I mist that same surface lightly or drive into a misting condition or light rain, the water will bead....at least until the speed reaches to where it just blows off.

Maybe what you`ve seen is related to that. To determine if there`s bonding (with a particular surface) there are 3 ways to judge...one, cosmetic enhancement; two, by feel....an increased velvetiness; 3 increased repellency, with water it can shop up as sheeting or beading, depending on material and how that water gets there....and repellency, too, against something like ink. You can lightly write a line on treated vinyl or leather upholstery with a ball point or fountain pen, for example, and then wipe it right up.

With respect to application, it doesn`t matter how it`s done as long as you get enough on the surface to make it more than just damp, then wipe completely dry. In my experience, a paper towel doesn`t work well. I prefer old t-shirts or other cotton in similar form. Toweling is good too.

And typically, if the surface when new is more gloss, that`s what 303 restores the appearance to. If originally matte, that`s what 303 restores it to. Probably 90+ percent true.

No, I dont` think you`re missing anything.

Please contact me if 303 Products, Inc. can assist further. RKD

Regards,

R. K. Dyer

303 PRODUCTS, INC.
    roger@303-products.com
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I apply 303 with a mf towel, spraying the towel pretty generously, leaving a nice amount on the surface. I let 303 sit on my dash for a few, then go back and buff with a mf towel. I do the same on my tires I`ll go back and hit it with a EO curved tire swipe. although I stoped used 303 on my tires, because its getting harder to find. Don`t know if this will help, but I like to let it sit for at least 10 minutes or so.

when people get in the car, they always give good comments!

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently been spraying a terry cloth or foam applicator and then applying. Then wipe with a mf towel to buff off excess. It seems a bit oily compared to other protectants for me so it can be a bit messy on the exterior (getting on paint, etc). I have no way to judge true UV properties so who knows if it is better than others.

I tried Optimum Protectant once and it behaves totally differently. It seemed to spread better and the shine has lasted longer. It seemed to "wet" the surface better.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I used 303 for several years and still have more than a gallon of it but on my show car I have switched to Meguiars #40.

It has a UV rating of 40 same as 303 hence the name 40.
    It has a little more gloss and seems to last longer at least the gloss lasts longer and it is half the price.

IMO a lot of the detailing products are over priced that is why I stopped using pinnacle Souveran.

Their are other products that work just as well and cost far less and it is those products that I`m switching too.

I know that a lot of people on here don`t worry about the cost and the manufacture of these products take advantage of that.

I have found that my car looks just as good and wins an award every weekend and I`m spending a lot less on products.

303 is a good product but like many others it is over priced and you can use #40 and save $$$$

I`m sure someone will say they don`t like #40 but like all products we have are favorites and the overpriced stuff will always sell if for no other reason than it costs more.

Thread Information