Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    They don`t compare. Presta is very nice compound, 105 is head and shoulders above it, IMO. The cut time is 15-20 seconds (don`t work it longer) and its done. Very little product is needed, work it until the defects are removed, and wipe away. If you over work it, it will go dry and you will actually see the marring increase from the wool pad. Work it hard and very quickly then move on. The defects come out so fast (1-2 passes).

The learning curve is steep because it goes against everything we hold evident to polishing (breaking down the abrasives, etc). I cut all the defects out of a black C6 in under 30 minutes.

That right there has me sold. Anyone wanna buy some HTEC, Power Gloss, OHC, and OC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364
    That right there has me sold. Anyone wanna buy some HTEC, Power Gloss, OHC, and OC?

Hehe, this is the problem now

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday night, I wetsanded the C pillar on my car with 2000, and then hit it with M105, and a LC white 4" spot pad on the Makita. I applied 2 pea sized drops to the pillar, then picked it up with the pad at 1000rpm, and went up to 1500rpm immediately after picking up the product. The 2000 sanding marks were gone in 10 seconds. I couldn`t believe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    Tuesday night, I wetsanded the C pillar on my car with 2000, and then hit it with M105, and a LC white 4" spot pad on the Makita. I applied 2 pea sized drops to the pillar, then picked it up with the pad at 1000rpm, and went up to 1500rpm immediately after picking up the product. The 2000 sanding marks were gone in 10 seconds. I couldn`t believe it.

Wow, this is great :dance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    We have used quite a bit of the 105 here in the shop--just finished my first qt. I have used it on Audi paint (super hard), Porsche, C6, fesh paint (10 days old), old Honda paint, and a few others. Aside from the gumming issues when using foam pads, which is there is a remedy for btw, it is by far the best compound that I have used via rotary.

With a foam you must use *very* little, not "optimum little", but very little. Working the product too long, or having the pad loaded will result in gumming up. I recently purchased a LC system 2000 pad cleaner--I simply wash my pad every other panel and all is well. As others have stated, it cuts *quick.* Don`t expect to work it like SIP, 106FF, OP, etc as you will dry buff or gum up the product.

IMO, it is best via a twisted wool pad in that it seems to *not* gum up, or at least not as easily. With a foam pad it will remove significant marring while leaving a very nice finish. On vehicles with severe to moderate defects (for customers paying for a two-step) I use the purple LC foamed wool pads. IMO, this is the best bang for the buck with this product--all of the cut, the increased cut (over foam) of the wool, yet it finishes out beautifully. Move to your final polish of choice and you are set.

Thank you Meguiars for making the product that we have been longing for! Now if you guys could reformulate the rest of your line using the same technology, I would be in heaven.

BTW, if you guys aren`t using the W66 BP with the foamed wool, you are missing out!

Please excuse my ignorance, but who makes the W66 backing pad, and where can I buy one?

Edit: NM, I see it`s a Megs product, as well. Coming back to Autopia is getting expensive! :doh

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome stuff guys thatnx for all the recommendations!
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Autogeek is out of stock on the 105.. Anybody know were I can get this and ultrafina and the finishing pad off one website? I kinda need it for next weekend. Thanks..

-Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mixed a little in with Zaino Z-PC on the PC for a Z06 yesterday. It cut out a couple deeper marrs with a flawless finish. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRack
    Greg,

I experienced similar results the first time I used M105.

A few tips:

~Do not apply too much or too little product. It requires just the right amount to work correctly.

~Apply the product onto the panel instead of the pad (recommended by Meguiars)

~Clean the pad after every panel (*very* important)

~Do not apply pressure

~Only work the product for a short time until it is dried up. If you work it too long, you will marr the paint with the pad and cause the product to dust and gum up as you experienced. Meguiars designed this compound for quick results. It is not meant to be worked like other compounds you are used to.

You are correct that multiple reworkings are much better than a single heavy working. In my opinion, 30 seconds for a 2x2 area sounds like too long.

Here is a video if you haven`t already seen it: YouTube - Ultra-Cut Compound 105 in Action

In that video, the first application looked to be about an eight inch strip of M105 on just over a one square foot area that had been wet sanded. He worked the first application from time stamp 2:04 to 2:13. That`s a *nine second* buff time. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a chance to demo 105 under the eye of the Meg`s rep at Detail Fest, and lemme tell ya, it was amazing. We dug out 1000 grit sanding marks in 14 seconds with 105 and a burgundy wool pad. There is *nothing* like it out there and I`ve used quite a few compounds.

The burgundy wool definitely required a 3-step finish though. Solo on a yellow foam pad and black foam pad finished it out decently, with slight holograms remaining, due to Solo being a mediocre product.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    good to know
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Can You Hear Me
    Autogeek is out of stock on the 105.. Anybody know were I can get this and ultrafina and the finishing pad off one website? I kinda need it for next weekend. Thanks..

-Nick

Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Rick from ADS asking when he`d have more 105 in stock. He said Meguiars had no ETA on when they`d have more available.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Just amazing stuff. Did a white dealer hammered ceramicleared C230 today. The hood needed 2 passes with the Solo yellow wool pad and 105 and finished down with just the faintest of holograms. Hit it again with an 8006 yellow polishing pad and it looked damn near LSP ready! The rest of the car I was able to do with the 8006 pad and 2 passes with 105 per section. Followed with Ultrafina and

Guess which side I hit with 105/yellow foam?

www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see your yellow pad in the background Scott, hehe. It looks pretty dirty!
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information