Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    In all fairness I don`t have much experience with X3. Brian and I used it on a Porsche 911 Cab and the dusting was just crazy. The finish it left behind was terrible by rotary (or I should say "looked terrible") and the dusting was excessive. However, by switching to the white side of the pad and working the polish would remove (not fill, as evidenced by wiping with ISO or PrepSol) the nasty finish. However it would leave nasty product "clumping" in seams and edges, and left behind very light holograms.

Brian shook his head (I continued to try System One) and grabbed M105 and did a side right next to the cut area down with X3. The finish was way better (after cutting) and the defect removal was much better (the System One side had light RIDS still). Brian finished down with 3M UF-SE and a blue pad and had, as expected, zero holograms and a flawless finish. On the X3 area, there was still light rids and light hologramming.

I would assume that lack of experience was part of the problem, and I could refine my System One skills, but I probably will not invest the time, since, IMO, there are many products out there that do the job much better and faster.

X3 (despite the holograms, which might be from the excessively soft Edge foam on the soft Porsche paint, which made for some "grabbing") did leave a very nice gloss behind, which rivaled the gloss and clarity of the finest finishing polishes.

Cool thanks for info.

Post Thanks / Like
    That just cost me a $100 bucks

Thanks everyone - I`ve really been looking for the "next great compound"...and it sounds like this one it is. I really don`t know what`s so special about that backing plate, but I just ordered one too, along with a gallon of M105, so I guess I`ll be finding out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really dont know what was so good about the backing plate when i held it in my hands. But i`ll soon find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s alright I guess, nothing too great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsms
    I really need to know how this stuff works with a LC orange pad.

I tried 105 with an orange LC "mushroom top" pad and diidn`t like it all. I didn`t feel as though there was enough pad contact with the paint and switched over to wool. My orange pad is new and still very stiff, so this may have been the reason why?

I also tried using a purple foamed wool pad which worked great with the 105, but It loaded up with product easily after only a few panels. Make sure you clean your pad frequently with this product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the M105 last night, and initial response is very nice stuff.

It was about 40 in the garage, so I think the compound acted up. It seem to gum up the wool even when I used 3 drops per panel. It also seem to "paste" up quickly on the paint, and when it did it was tough to wipe off.

I still learning how to respond to this compound, I think I worked it too long.....shorter than Presta or SIP but I think it only needs about 30sec/2x2 area. Multiple reworkings are much better than a single heavy working.

I tried it with a white CCS pad and it worked very well on plastics.

I followed all this up with a blue CCS and Final Polish, which seem to work very well. I`ll pull it out later today for a look in the sun.

For the price and quality of the compound this looks to be a landmark product. I just need to figure out some things. I`m sure it will save me time on hard details, it saved me time last night and I was learning how to use the product!

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

I experienced similar results the first time I used M105.

A few tips:

~Do not apply too much or too little product. It requires just the right amount to work correctly.

~Apply the product onto the panel instead of the pad (recommended by Meguiars)

~Clean the pad after every panel (*very* important)

~Do not apply pressure

~Only work the product for a short time until it is dried up. If you work it too long, you will marr the paint with the pad and cause the product to dust and gum up as you experienced. Meguiars designed this compound for quick results. It is not meant to be worked like other compounds you are used to.

You are correct that multiple reworkings are much better than a single heavy working. In my opinion, 30 seconds for a 2x2 area sounds like too long.

Here is a video if you haven`t already seen it: YouTube - Ultra-Cut Compound 105 in Action

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^

This is the value of this forum. You can discuss a products and get feedback ASAP, rather than toss the product or call it poorly made. Manufacturers could make a lot of head way by contributing to this forum.

I kept spurring the pad every panel

I applied the product to the panel

I tired to let the machine weight do the pressure

I`m sure the real reason for the gum is I worked it longer than suppose to. I also think the temp of the paint contributed to the gumming. I will shorten the working time and see what happens.

Is three pea size drops per standard panel (door) too much?

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one that can`t get that you tube video to work??

Post Thanks / Like
    Video worked fine for me.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    ^^^^^

This is the value of this forum. You can discuss a products and get feedback ASAP, rather than toss the product or call it poorly made. Manufacturers could make a lot of head way by contributing to this forum.

I kept spurring the pad every panel

I applied the product to the panel

I tired to let the machine weight do the pressure

I`m sure the real reason for the gum is I worked it longer than suppose to. I also think the temp of the paint contributed to the gumming. I will shorten the working time and see what happens.

Is three pea size drops per standard panel (door) too much?

Cheers,

GREG

Greg, I was just giving advice to someone else on this same topic, so I will copy it here.

As for the amount of product to use, there are a lot of factors that come into play. It all depends on the type of pad you are using (foam, wool or foamed wool, etc..), size of the pad, agressiveness of the pad, temperature you are working in, humidity level, type of paint, etc., so there is not a simple answer to the question.

If I were you, I would just take your time and test out some different pads to see what works the best for you. Working with a new product is a lot of trial and error. I would recommend using your own judgement on deciding how much product to use. Start off by using slower speeds and a minimal amount of product and slowly change your process, technique, speed, etc. until you have perfected it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, I forgot to ask, how fast are you working the product? How many rpm?

First I would try keeping your rpm`s down and shorten your working time to see if it makes a difference and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Am I the only one that can`t get that you tube video to work??

It takes a while for it to load.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info there !!

Do you know if there is an online shop wich sells the product and accept international orders? I just know AutoGeek. I just can`t live without this compound after reading your reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Autogeek is the only place I`ve seen that is shipping it internationally right now...That said, I have a bottle of it on the way, just added it to an order I made tonight!!! I cannot wait till I get to test this stuff out!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information