Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

I just put up a review of the Flex XC 3401 VRG on my website. Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

I`m also finishing up a video comparing the Flex to the PC, I should have it up in the next few days.

Brief summary:

The Flex is a great machine and IMO narrows the gap between the PC and a rotary. It has great cutting abilities and will cut polishing time down substantially if moving up from a PC...The video I`m working on will show that.

Update - the video is now online, the link is at the bottom of the review

Enjoy and I`ll update this post when the video is on line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I can`t wait for the video. Which products / combo are you going to use to demonstrate the Flex (Menz SIP/ Menz 106ff perhaps?)

Also, i believe the new batch of Flex with the fixed backing plate comes in 5.5" size ( at least mine did).
    Kent

2002 530i Sterling Grau

1992 525i Schwarz

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice review, the pics are a great addition. :goodjob

I`m sure many will benefit...

One thing you noted that I`ve been amazed by myself. It`s very hard to micro-mar or haze the paint with the 3401. And I truely believe I can get a better/sharper finish with the Flex vs my PC. I never felt like I was getting a poor finish with my PC, and perhaps if I had more patients I could have got it to the level of the Flex. But time and time again I`m amazed at the sharpness of the finish I can achieve with the Flex.

Again...Great Review!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjv1
    Thanks! I can`t wait for the video. Which products / combo are you going to use to demonstrate the Flex (Menz SIP/ Menz 106ff perhaps?)

Also, i believe the new batch of Flex with the fixed backing plate comes in 5.5" size ( at least mine did).

I`m going to do a couple of videos, but the first one will show the different cutting/finishing/time between the PC & Flex using 106FF and a polishing pad. The ones to follow will show the Flex with more aggressive polishes/combos.

You are right, I started the review before I received the replacement backing plate...I`ve updated the page, I had a revision and forgot to update it on line. Thanks for the heads up !:2thumbs:

Quote Originally Posted by frostydog
    Very nice review, the pics are a great addition.

I`m sure many will benefit...

One thing you noted that I`ve been amazed by myself. It`s very hard to micro-mar or haze the paint with the 3401. And I truely believe I can get a better/sharper finish with the Flex vs my PC. I never felt like I was getting a poor finish with my PC, and perhaps if I had more patients I could have got it to the level of the Flex. But time and time again I`m amazed at the sharpness of the finish I can achieve with the Flex.

Again...Great Review!!

Thanks...Yes it does tend to finish more like a rotary, then a PC, but I`ve been able to achieve the same results with a PC.... It just takes longer.

It can cause hazing (if you don`t break down the polish completely or are using an aggressive pad/polish combo) but the hazing doesn`t have the "hook type" hazing that a PC produces. The hazing looks more like a rotary haze because of the forced rotation.

Thanks again guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review. One question...Is it right that during one rotation, the flex orbits 20 times?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good write up on your site.

Do you feel the Flex 3401 is a good tool for an existing rotary user that wants to occasionally be lazy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by artronnie
    Great review. One question...Is it right that during one rotation, the flex orbits 20 times?

Thanks and Yes...10x left & 10x right (or back & forth) orbits for one rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jsatek
    Good write up on your site.

Do you feel the Flex 3401 is a good tool for an existing rotary user that wants to occasionally be lazy?

Yeah, I`d say that. It`s won`t replace a rotary, as far as speed of correction or extreme restoration, but in most cases it would be great substitute. It`s similar (but better) to the PC in that you sacrifice your time for lower risk of damaging the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    The video comparing the cutting power of the Flex to the PC is up:

Flex XC 3401 VRG Review

(Link is at the bottom of the page)

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a comparison of the RPM`s/OPM`s at each speed between the Flex and the UDM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detaildoc
    Do you have a comparison of the RPM`s/OPM`s at each speed between the Flex and the PC/UDM?

No I don`t, sorry... what comparison are you looking for? I don`t think you`ll see much difference in a video between the various speeds other than the sound.

I do plan on doing another video, solely with the Flex, showing removal of deeper imperfections, using different speeds, etc. that might show what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering approximately which speed on the flex equates to a 6 on a UDM. My guess is that a 3.5 on the Flex is probably a 6 on the UDM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering approximately which speed on the flex equates to a 6 on a UDM. My guess is that a 3.5 on the Flex is probably a 6 on the UDM.

I think you are right...There is a chart that shows the speed comparison...I`ll can`t seem to find it right now. If I find it I`ll update this post and my review with the comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the review & video... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a comparison of the RPM`s/OPM`s at each speed between the Flex and the PC/UDM?

This is my comparison (note that for the Flex, for each rotation, it orbits 20 times)

I slightly doubt the opm of UDM (I think it should be 2500 - 6000 opm).

CMIIW!
    :goodjob FLEX-ers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by artronnie
    This is my comparison (note that for the Flex, for each rotation, it orbits 20 times)

I slightly doubt the opm of UDM (I think it should be 2500 - 6000 opm).

CMIIW!

Great, thanks! That seems about right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information