Post Thanks / Like

Grit under Viper paint?

I am detailing the paint of a 05 Viper Copperhead that I just purchased. This is my first multi step detail. All I have done in the past with my cars is wash and wax.

I washed the car and tested the surface with a plastic bag. I could feel grit.

I used Pinnicle poly clay w/lubricant on an area and the roughness is still present. I repeated the process and it did not help. The clay stays perfectly clean as well.

Could this be under the clear or paint?

Thanks,
    John

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit under Viper paint?

It seems odd that the clay isnt removing the grit. Can you describe your process of claying?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregCavi
    It seems odd that the clay isnt removing the grit. Can you describe your process of claying?

Greg

I am using the process outlined here.

How-To Clean with Clay

I am using medium pressure as stated in the article. I even tried being firmer.

The clay glides over the surface but stays clean and the roughness remains. Even with many passes.

John

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DId you:

Move the clay over each area until slick?
    Keep lube on the surface?
    Keep folding and kneading the clay?

What is the overall paint condition of the car?

Greg

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the roughness on a larger area like a whole panel? door,hood,fender,etc.
    Or is it a small area possibly where they had someone touch a scratch up outside in the elements, and they never told you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregCavi
    DId you:

Move the clay over each area until slick?
    Keep lube on the surface?
    Keep folding and kneading the clay?

What is the overall paint condition of the car?

Greg
    I used plenty of Pinnacle Clay Lubricant. First I misted the flatend clay than sprayed the area to be worked.

I then worked roughly a 2`x2` area. The Clay never stuck it was slick on the first pass. I worked the area back and forth for about 1 min and checked the Clay which was clean. I wiped off the
    area with a MF and checked the suface with a plastic bag. The grit feeling was still present.

I repeated the process and used the freash side of the clay. This time I spent a little more time on the area. Buffed and the grit is still there.

All the Clay work was done in a climate controlled 76° garage on cool paint.

The cars paint appears to be in visibly superb condition. I purchaed it on 06/11. The car was in an inside showroom. I purchased and took delivery of the car the same day. It never left my sight. I didn`t let the dealer wash or wax the car before I took delivery. I can`t tell you what was done to the finish before display. It was only on the floor 2 weeks before I purchased it.

The paint feels smooth until I use a baggie.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer
    Is the roughness on a larger area like a whole panel? door,hood,fender,etc.
    Or is it a small area possibly where they had someone touch a scratch up outside in the elements, and they never told you?
    I basically checked the rear decklid since that`s the area I was starting to Clay. Most of the panel is gritty. By gritty I mean I can feel small sharp gritty type bumps spread randomly. Not evenly distributed like sandpaper but spaced every so often. One here than one and inch over than maybe one two inches etc... Maybe 10 in a 1`x`1 area? I did check the right rear fender and it wasn`t as bad but did have some.

I had looked a several Vipers earlier in the day at different dealerships. They all had paint swirll marks and other blemishes from customers. The reason I chose the Copperhead was the finish and interior looked almost pristine. No scratches or visible swirls.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that`s a HOT car!

Are the other body panels gritty as well, or just the decklid?

You may need a decontamination kit, but it doesn`t really make sense that the clay is not working.

Maybe it`s been repainted (damage on the way in) or it was just a bum paint job? I dunno.

Freaking awesome car...It just looks MEAN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kimo
    Wow that`s a HOT car!

Are the other body panels gritty as well, or just the decklid?

You may need a decontamination kit, but it doesn`t really make sense that the clay is not working.

Maybe it`s been repainted (damage on the way in) or it was just a bum paint job? I dunno.

Freaking awesome car...It just looks MEAN!
    Thanks,

I basically checked the rear decklid since that`s the area I was starting to Clay...

I did check the right rear fender and it wasn`t as bad but did have some.

I didn`t check any other panels.

John

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend you use a paint polish or paint cleaner. I remember reading a thread where an older vette had alot of deep dirt in the pores where you could see it. Buffing might help you. Also Decon kits will help!

Post Thanks / Like

Try some poorboys pro polish to get that out, if not you could try ssr 1. My friend had some chinese hot sauce get on his car and it took claying, pro polish, and ssr 1 to get it out. That was a fun detail.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems as though your process is correct, I wonder if it is the paint itself :dunno
    Beautiful car never the less :drool

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Check the inside lip of the panel to see if it was repainted at the dealer or at the factory, it is very well possible. You can also go to a body shop or a very large used car dealer who will have a paint guage and check the car panel by panel.
    Factory paint will be very close on each panel, a repaint will be considerably thicker.
    Nice car and it sounds like your process is good, even though I am not a user of plastic bags. I let the back side of my hand do the feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

I clayed another car last Saturday. It is a 01 and has never been clayed.

I could feel grit on the suface after washing and after claying the surface was smooth.

The grit felt different as well. Much more uniform and fine sandpaperish. The grit on the Viper feels like...

"I can feel small sharp gritty type bumps spread very randomly. Not evenly distributed like sandpaper but spaced every so often. One here then one an inch over than maybe one two inches etc..."

I believe the grit is under the Viper paint and would need to be polished out as recommended. Since it is not visible I am going to leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the replies,
    John

Thread Information