Post Thanks / Like

Question Color X and NXT paste wax usage.

I have a 1990 red, Pontiac Trans Am. I need to give it a polish/wax job, and I have some questions.

The paint is in good shape on the sides of the car. The hood, roof, and hatch area have reflectivity, but a bit of dullness, since these horizontal surfaces take more of a beating.

After preparing and cleaning the surface, I was going to apply some "Deep Crystal Polish", then some "NXT paste wax".

I just thought about substituting the "Deep Crystal Polish" with "Color X", since it is an "all around product" that would help bring out the color more.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Also, I want to apply 2 coats of the NXT paste wax. I`ve read that you should wait 12 to 24 hours, between the first coat application, and the application of the second coat.

Does this sound correct?

I was wondering if the NXT paste has too much cleaner in it, to put down 2 coats.

I don`t want the second coat of NXT to remove the first coat.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Color X and NXT paste wax usage.

I personally prefer ColorX to the Deep Crystal 3-step products. Does the same job but better, with 1/3rd the effort and less $$$ too.
    It sounds like your paint is a little oxidised, ColorX should take care of that. Deep Crystal Polish might not, you`d need Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. ColorX is also a great base for NXT.
    After ColorX, lay down a coat of NXT and then another 12-24 hours later. As long as you give it that much time to cure, the cleaners won`t remove the previous layer. Your finish will look better with 2 layers of NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Meguiar`s "Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner", and it didn`t do much to help the dullness and oxidation. I even tried Meguiar`s "Clear Coat Body Scrub", and it didn`t do much either. I haven`t used the "Color X" or "NXT", so I`m anxious to try them both out.

BTW - how`s the weather in Australia?

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my car with Color-X and NXT X2 yesterday. The Color-X does a good job of gently pulling crud from the paint (oxidation & embedded dirt), removing fine spiderweb swirls and leaving a smooth, slick surface. It also makes a great base for the NXT.

I`ll have some pics in a few hours after I finish the interior.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

I read somewhere that it is better to "work in" the ColorX (like with an orbital buffer), rather than just spreading it on and removing it by hand.

Any opinions on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I had to host them from MOL sine they haven`t been approved here yet. As for the Color-X, Yes it works best if you `work` it into the finish. That allows the cleaners (chemical and diminishing abrasive) to do their jobs properly.

OK, so I accidentally sized the pics too small. Here are a few after 3 (2 on one day, the 3rd the next) coats of NXT + Booster Wax. The tires have Gold Glass Dash & Trim Foam applied with a cut off paint brush that was allowed to sit for a few hours then buffed with an older MF:

*NOTE* I used the Booster Wax to `wet` (a light mist on either the pad or the paint surface) the pad & car`s surface to help the NXT spread a bit better in the heat. The results were a smoother, more complete application of NXT. Without the Booster, when I tried to spread the NXT thin, I would remove almost as much product as I applied (the heat made it set up a bit too quick). According to Mike Phillips these two products are completely compatable so there shouldn`t be any issues.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

i use liquid nxt on my bike and love it. it is the only wax i use. i haven`t tried the paste yet, is there much of a difference? sorry to get off topic, but don that last pics looks amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some great photos, especially the last one.

Thanks for the tip regarding the "Spray Booster Wax". Where I live, it is getting hot & humid, so the "Booster Wax" may come in handy.

Have you ever tried the "Meguiar`s Scratch X"? I have some white spots of oxidation that I`d like to remove. Right now, I can remove it with my fingernail, but I`d like to know how useful the "Scratch X" is.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think what u have is actually oxidation (clearcoat paint doesnt oxidise like ss paint). i think wha u might have is heavy micro marr (light swirls) sorta like a haze u get after a heavy polish, along with contamination that doesnt come off with a wash.

think about it like this. colorx is a chemical cleaner. would u just put toothpaste on u`re teeth and call them clean? no! u would have to scrub. same thing with colorx and a foam pad. which is why my best results with colorx have always come with the pc! (it doesnt gum up like scratchx, so its perfect for the pc).

i know u basically got the idea of wha to do, i just imputted this so u can actually know why and how.

joy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adreed24
    Those are some great photos, especially the last one.

Thanks for the tip regarding the "Spray Booster Wax". Where I live, it is getting hot & humid, so the "Booster Wax" may come in handy.

Have you ever tried the "Meguiar`s Scratch X"? I have some white spots of oxidation that I`d like to remove. Right now, I can remove it with my fingernail, but I`d like to know how useful the "Scratch X" is.

scratchx would work fine! its the best "hand swirl remover ive used". with a little elbow grease u can take those spots right off.

(p.s. dont try it with the pc)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, Joy.

I`m looking forward to getting those white spots off the paint, and trying the Color X / NXT Tech Wax combo.

Thread Information